Votes: 12 32.4%
  • C - Average

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • D - Poor

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • F - Epic Fail

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Hard to say 2010 is anything better than average so far this year with how awesome 2009 was...

To me, it just sounds like shit. Pain of Salvation's Road Salt is as bad as it gets. And this is coming from a huge PoS fan. And don't give me the "take the album for what it is" crap. It's a piece of shit imo.

Aside from that, 2010 has been a very good year, with enormous potential for becoming an even better, afterall, come on now, new Angra album coming out very soon ;) hahahahaha. Great releases so far this year with a lot of promising ones coming up too. I like 2010 so far.

I really enjoy Orphaned Land's ORwarriOR, Ihsahn's After, Anathema's We Are Here Because We're Here, Barren Earth's Curse of the Red River, Alcest's and Les Descrit's albums, the new Negura Bunget album, the new Dofka, Trypticon's album,maybe a few other things people like zedown or SoundscapeMN might mention or have mentioned.

As far as Power goes - Looking forward to Blind Guardian's return, but can otherwise say nothing (nice) about the genre.

The rest of the year is a question mark to me.

I really enjoy Orphaned Land's ORwarriOR, Ihsahn's After, Anathema's We Are Here Because We're Here, Barren Earth's Curse of the Red River, Alcest's and Les Descrit's albums, the new Negura Bunget album, the new Dofka, Trypticon's album...
Are you classifying these as Prog or just listing what you've enjoyed this year?

From the Prog and Power genres specifically, what would your Top 5 be?

My top five have to be:

KingCrow - Phlegethon
Cloverseeds - Innocence
Division by Zero - Independent Harmony
Tarot - Gravity of Light
Myrath - Desert Call

Are you classifying these as Prog or just listing what you've enjoyed this year?

I'm giving up on genre tags. Whatever works for you is fine for me.
I;'ve already said that the album I enjoy the most this year isn't in any way/shape/form Rock, but it is conceptual, vaguely science fiction/fantasy, and is unconventional based on top 40 configurations (this album is Janelle Monae's The ArchAndroid). The album's not devoid of rock though.

I'm giving up on genre tags. Whatever works for you is fine for me.
It doesn't matter to me at all. I was merely addressing the way you formatted your post. You listed a bunch of CDs you liked from 2010, with no mention of genre. In the next paragraph, you specifically spoke about the Power Metal genre. Which made me wonder if the first paragraph was intended to address Prog Metal.

Ultimately, I see genre tags as a necessary evil. It would be nearly impossible to describe a band without using them as a frame of reference. For me, genre tags lose their value when we begin trying to shoehorn bands into them.