Chicago Powerfest 2010 Cancellation

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Let's hope the guys can get back on track next year...

CHICAGO POWERFEST 2010 OFFICIALLY CANCELED
Hi guys, thanks for your patience and understanding, the last several
months have been quite frustrating and disappointing....here's the official
press release regarding our decision to pull the plug on a 2010 fest.

Thanks, and best to you guys, we'll see ya soon! :kickass:
Chris, Rob, & John
CRJ Productions

CRJ Productions, the organizers of Chicago Powerfest, have issued the
following statement:

"We've been holding off making this announcement for as long as we could,
as we truly hoped there would be some kind of salvation for a Chicago
Powerfest
2010 edition. However, with the closing of the Pearl Room last
August, and the financial stranglehold we've been left in as a result,
we've been left without a suitable venue and without the necessary funds
to kickstart a 2010 festival somewhere else. Additionally, the current
state of the economy and its affect, not only on fans but on us
personally, have left us no choice but to finally make the decision to put
Chicago Powerfest on hold for now.

With that being said, we will continue to spend the rest of 2010 working
on ideas for taking CPF to a higher level in 2011 and perhaps some other
ventures to take place before 2010 wraps up. As always, we thank everyone
for their incredible support over the years. We sincerely appreciate
everything, and will continue working to bring you the best in metal.
Cheers!"

Stay tuned to the forum and to www.chicagopowerfest.com for all the
latest news and updates.

I honestly had figured they had already given up as they usually announce info about it early in the year. The Pearl Room thing really did hurt it. The only venue I could even fathom them doing this with would be the Metro.

I know I have said a LOT over the years regarding this festival.
So much in fact, that I am actually banned from their forum, along with a few others who post here.

I enjoyed the festival each year, even if I wasn't thrilled of the lineup.
I certainly respect the hell out of CRJ for all the work they have done keeping it going.

I have heard their were issues with Pearl Room folding, and somehow that financially hurting them. I suppose maybe that means they are still owed $$$ from last year? Who knows.......

Here's my armchair critique of Powerfest:
1) They need to stay true to their mission.

Over the years they changed the style of music represented drastically from year to year. Their name got on the map by having headliners such as Tad Marose, Nocturnal Rites, and Lefay. Then, it seemed they didn't like that people referred to it as a "power metal" festival. Well, when you have "power" in the name, and headliners such as above, how can you argue that folks would view it as such? So, the following year had upper card acts such as Solitude A, Nov Doom, Saturnus, Athiest, Martyr, etc. Another good lineup, but drew in a completely different crowd. As the name of the fest got bigger, they shot for the moon in booking both Iced Earth and Testament. Amazing headliners, indeed!!!! The problem was the rest of the festival lineups each day paled daylights in comparison. I mean, let's be honest. You place A LIFE ONCE LOST in direct response to Matt Barlow's return to ICED EARTH, and wonder why people boo'd??? Seriously?

It came to the point THAT particular year that, while those dates were technically CHICAGO POWERFEST, to most it was an ICED EARTH show with too many openers, and a TESTAMENT show with too many openers.

Though I stressed this to members of CRJ, they told me that I was wrong, and that a whole new legion of Powerfest supporters would hop on board.

Fast forward one year to 2009, where the uppercards were DevilDriver, BLS, Soil, and DOPE. Sure, I think it's no surprise that these bands weren't anyone's first picks for the fest. Still though, the end result proved that Powerfest hadn't really built the solid fan base they thought it did. Even long time out of town supporters on THIS forum who would combat things I would say eventually stated that they could not come in to support such a line up.

My purpose for this write up is NOT in any way to slam CRJ. They worked their asses off over the years in making this a good festival. As I said, I still had a blast every year I went.

In summary, when they get their ducks in a row, they should focus on creating and maintaining their mission, and be less concerned with just growing and growing each year.

Best of luck to CRJ! Hope to see Chicago Powerfest 2011.

This is the best possible decision that could have been made. The Pearl Room thing really hurt, and it will take a while to recover from this wound; best not to risk a whole bunch of money on a rushed fest in an untested venue.

The silver lining is that, hopefully for the fest, the guys will move to a venue closer to the city. In recent years, they've been marketing the fest more to the locals than to the out-of-town crowd, and while the south suburbs were great for the latter group, they're not so convenient for the former. Likewise, having the fest at The Metro, for instance, would be incredibly inconvenient for people who need to find lodging and transportation, yet those who are just going home after the show would have a much easier time. While this would hurt people like me, I'm convinced it would be good for the numbers.

EDIT: Actually, I'd be perfectly okay with moving the fest back to J.J. Kelley's. I like that place, and it holds some of my best CPF and ProgPower memories. But, obviously, that's not good for the numbers, either, as it only holds about a tenth of the crowd that the guys want to bring in.

So much in fact, that I am actually banned from their forum, along with a few others who post here.

Honestly, I think that was a little out of line. I think you may have gotten banned by association with Bob, who (even HE will admit) was mostly unable to voice his opinions on that board without being a douche. If he pulled the same shit on this board, Glenn would have put him out to pasture as well; I guess it's a good thing for him that he hasn't been to ProgPower yet. ;)

Their name got on the map by having headliners such as Tad Marose, Nocturnal Rites, and Lefay. Then, it seemed they didn't like that people referred to it as a "power metal" festival. Well, when you have "power" in the name, and headliners such as above, how can you argue that folks would view it as such?

I don't think the change in direction has much to do with this. Rather, Chris and Rob's tastes in music have evolved a lot over the years. Keep in mind that Rob has gone from Syris (American-style proggy power) to Twelfth Gate, Mark One (dark, thrashy, complex power metal) to Twelfth Gate, Mark Two (metalcore-y/melodic death mix). Chris has gone from Ion Vein, Mark One (Queensryche- and Fates-influenced prog metal) to Ion Vein, Mark Two (heavy, straightforward thrash, from what I've heard so far). It only makes sense that the direction of the fest would change, and I suspect that it's due to the influence of John Coyne (the J in CRJ) that the power/melodic metal aspect still exists.

As the name of the fest got bigger, they shot for the moon in booking both Iced Earth and Testament. Amazing headliners, indeed!!!! The problem was the rest of the festival lineups each day paled daylights in comparison. I mean, let's be honest. You place A LIFE ONCE LOST in direct response to Matt Barlow's return to ICED EARTH, and wonder why people boo'd??? Seriously?

It came to the point THAT particular year that, while those dates were technically CHICAGO POWERFEST, to most it was an ICED EARTH show with too many openers, and a TESTAMENT show with too many openers.

I actually liked the lineup for the most part. My biggest disappointment that year was learning that Chaoswave got stuck in customs and was unable to play the fest. It was at that exact moment that I finally fully empathized with all the Vanden Plas fans at ProgPower. As for CRJ, if they were going to include metalcore, I think they could have done with 'core bands that would better mesh with the rest of the lineup. (Obviously, there were a lot of people in attendance who were going to boo ANY 'core band, but those people are douchebags and they can fuck off.) Soilwork... Reflux... Avenged Sevenfold... any band with a really good guitarist and/or really good songwriting, with some "classic" metal sound to them, would have fit in much better.

Fast forward one year to 2009, where the uppercards were DevilDriver, BLS, Soil, and DOPE. Sure, I think it's no surprise that these bands weren't anyone's first picks for the fest. Still though, the end result proved that Powerfest hadn't really built the solid fan base they thought it did. Even long time out of town supporters on THIS forum who would combat things I would say eventually stated that they could not come in to support such a line up.

LOL... go ahead. You can say "booB". I don't mind. :) Actually, I would have been there regardless of the lineup being, in my opinion, sub-par. And I would have sponsored Kiuas -- in fact, they have been in my sponsorship bid for Glenn for the past two years. The main reason I didn't show was because most of my friends weren't going, either, and CPF, just like PPUSA, is as much (or more) about the social aspect for me as the music. However, the reason most of my friends didn't go is precisely because of the (again, IMO) sub-par lineup.

Honestly, I think that was a little out of line. I think you may have gotten banned by association with Bob, who (even HE will admit) was mostly unable to voice his opinions on that board without being a douche. If he pulled the same shit on this board, Glenn would have put him out to pasture as well; I guess it's a good thing for him that he hasn't been to ProgPower yet. ;)

uuuhh OK.....

I never made any douche comments....they have all ben honest. I know it is tough for people to hear the truth....but I think even Glenn would respect anyone speaking thier truth. I am not going to turn this into a he said..she said. I have done nothing but offer my opinion on that fest on that forum...it is a forum....you know...people speak thier minds and give opinions. Some people dont want to hear it but want to just hear only the positive. As CRJ found out....people dont speak the truth.....where were all the defenders of Powerfest the last year??? Even as a person labeled a toublemaker.....I was there. Even Chris thanked Jason and I for coming. I think they even realized that we may be very critical...but we will also support stuff we believe in. I dont have that belief that people should just like and roll over just because it is PC to do so.

I think the hardest thing for them now is going to find a place that has lodging close by. there isnt many places in the city like this that they could afford. My only real problem with the fest was that they didnt have a direction....every year they were grabbing at anything it seemed like. And after many debates on thier forum it seemed that it was a ......if you like metal you have to be here....sorry, I love metal but I also hate lots of it.

I do really hope they get back on thier feet and get another one going. I have always had fun there meeting everyone and stuff. Even if the lineups were not to my liking....it was still fun to hang out with different people I met on the forums and stuff. Even you Boob. But the truth be told...unless they can really pull off something different...with all the tours that come through Chicago....it is going to be tough to get interest in it. I think that goes for lots of fest as of late. Lots of tours make it harder to get exclusive bands people want to see.

In regards the venue situation here in Chicago that is somewhat of an issue when your looking for a hotel across the street. Its a luxury in Atlanta to find a hotel in walking distance but there has been 2 hotel closings near the venue and there and PP had a greater dependance for Hotel Rooms than CPF. Glenn and company did a great job in finding a hotel to work with and have then set up a shuttle service to the venue. If something like that was done in Chicago that could open the option up for a couple venues like Austins Fuel Room 2 hotels within a 1/2 mile, Chicago City Limits 2 hotels in < 3 miles, Durty Nellies 6 hotels in < 4 miles, and there could be a couple other places.

I guess its easy for me to say that but I'm sure Chris, Rob, and John have done way more homework into the venue situation than anyone else.

I'll be there for the 2011 fest.

Who... you? Nahhh. When did you have anything to say about Powerfest? :lol:

I certainly respect the hell out of CRJ for all the work they have done keeping it going.
This.

They need to stay true to their mission.
And this.

Over the years they changed the style of music represented drastically from year to year.
From the outside looking in, it seemed as though they never had a business plan. The festival seemed like a year to year thing, as if planning began months in advance of the festival, rather than years. I have no idea as to whether that's at all accurate. That's merely the impression I walked away with.

I only went to one of these....the year mentioned when Nocturnal Rites played. Since then, the lineup (as a whole) has not been attractive to me. Let's also note that year was deemed a financial disappointment and started the change in format, hoping for better numbers.

I believe they made the right choice. Trying to do something in a completely different (and untested) venue is iffy, at best.

Not to mention the economy. Consider what the promoter for Melodic Rock Fest 2, held recently in north suburban Elgin, said about his fest: "In terms of financial success, which I obviously was counting on to help guarantee the continued existence of MelodicRock.com, the results were not as pleasing. The fact is that not even this amazing line-up and extensive advertising online and locally could convince enough people to get off their couches for a day or two. I was hoping for 1000 per day, but we only got around 500 per day through the doors. Those 500 saw a killer show and had a weekend to remember, and were vocal enough for all the bands to think they were playing to 5000. But at the end of the day, the numbers simply weren't enough to guarantee there will definitely be a MRF3. I hope their can be and I'll consider all options, but when you think you've done everything right and have not repeated the mistakes of the first MRF, to get less people in attendance was a disappointment."

It is tough to get people to come out and support in these times...

LOL... go ahead. You can say "booB". I don't mind. :)

Ha! Serious though, it wasn't you.
It was even out of towners who are a lot closer than you to Mokena.

I have thought that too, that Rob and Chris were getting more into the modern metal stuff. I am sure part of it too was to try to attract a different audience. Once again though, it became a mish mosh of people who came to see just the bands they wanted, and not really to attent "Chicago Powerfest"

Even as a person labeled a toublemaker.....I was there. Even Chris thanked Jason and I for coming. I think they even realized that we may be very critical...but we will also support stuff we believe in.

THIS.

We were paying customers.

Though, I look at myself who is critical about things passionate to me, in this case metal. I am just as critical about fests I haven't attended....(hey, Prog Power might be an example!!!) :cool:

Though, just like Powerfest, I respect the hell out of what Prog Power has become and I love talking metal and beyond with folks here. :kickass:

I enjoyed the festival each year, even if I wasn't thrilled of the lineup.

I have heard their were issues with Pearl Room folding, and somehow that financially hurting them. I suppose maybe that means they are still owed $$$ from last year? Who knows.......

Here's my armchair critique of Powerfest:
1) They need to stay true to their mission.

Over the years they changed the style of music represented drastically from year to year. Their name got on the map by having headliners such as Tad Marose, Nocturnal Rites, and Lefay. Then, it seemed they didn't like that people referred to it as a "power metal" festival. Well, when you have "power" in the name, and headliners such as above, how can you argue that folks would view it as such? So, the following year had upper card acts such as Solitude A, Nov Doom, Saturnus, Athiest, Martyr, etc. Another good lineup, but drew in a completely different crowd. As the name of the fest got bigger, they shot for the moon in booking both Iced Earth and Testament. Amazing headliners, indeed!!!! The problem was the rest of the festival lineups each day paled daylights in comparison. I mean, let's be honest. You place A LIFE ONCE LOST in direct response to Matt Barlow's return to ICED EARTH, and wonder why people boo'd??? Seriously?

Though I stressed this to members of CRJ, they told me that I was wrong, and that a whole new legion of Powerfest supporters would hop on board.

My purpose for this write up is NOT in any way to slam CRJ. They worked their asses off over the years in making this a good festival. As I said, I still had a blast every year I went.

In summary, when they get their ducks in a row, they should focus on creating and maintaining their mission, and be less concerned with just growing and growing each year.

Best of luck to CRJ! Hope to see Chicago Powerfest 2011.

I only went one year. The year of Iced Earth and Testament, but I do remember seeing the lineups for past years and was pissed for not knowing about it. Anyways, I'm not going to say much else other than I think Jason is 100 percent right.

I also agree with Bob. For people to complain about opinions on a forum is nuts. That's what they're meant to be used for. If people were personally attacking the promoters or anyone else that would be a douche sort of thing, but come on! Look at the past lineups and look at the last couple, it's obvious they didn't have much of a plan.