A question from a confused amateur drummer

karpsmom

May 25, 2005
New Jersey, USA
I've been drumming for about two monthes, and just reading a lot about stuff to learn more, and I keep seeing the term "triggering" in regards to recording. What does this mean?? :confused:

Dammit, I still don't understand what the point of triggering is though! Why do you need a computer to play a sound? Why can't drummers just record acoustically?

Is it a form of digitally recording drums?

I dont get it, some people I've asked say that it's cheating in the sense that a drummer doesn't have to play very hard, and the computer will replace the sounds he's producing with louder sounds. Other people have said that it's basically a computerized way to change the tone of drums a drummer has played, when the drummer can't afford to actually buy new drums. I still don't get it! Is it any of the things I just said? Please someone give me a straight and factual answer! :(

triggering allows a drummer to utilize many different drum sounds on one kit via use of a "brain" or processor that let you "trigger" sounds it uses a pressure sensitive device that picks up the drum hit then processes it as a selected drum tone or what-ever (samples,tones,drum hits, anything really)
so it expands an acoustic kit to many different kits or it can just be a trigger pad(s) that is not a real drum so the drummer can practice quietly or headphones
the possiblilities are limitless when using triggers for layering, quick changing sounds or samples being played behind the band
hope this helps but Im a guitarist so what do I know?:yell:

It's a great thing to use triggers when you play super fast black or death metal. Drummers playing light adjust the triggers to be very sensitive. Let me tell you: That's very diffcult to play on since they will give you a BOOM from the slightest touch. Using triggers are definitely not cheating.

- Asgeir

Thank you Vessal and Asgeir, the last two responses are exactly what I was asking for. So Asgeir, do you use triggering often? Can it be utilized in life performing? Was The Focusing Blur by Vintersorg triggered (my favorite album featuring you!)

triggering can have dynamics
so the drummer is not completely cheating

dave weckl, the session drummer, composer and chick corea's sideman has a huge rack aside of the drums.

it seems that he eqs his drum there, and he throws the signal to the soundman.

if you trigger your drums you can also get to hear yourself better

i don't know very much at all about drums, but i have a piece of crap little 8 piece kit, and i noticed (i'm sure everyone else has too) that hitting the bass pedal fast enough is really easy, but if inexperienced it is very unaccurae and the sounds are different volumes. So my thought is that since when i hit the bass pedal fast you can't hear it everytime, if i used triggers, with a little bit of accuracy practice, i could sound really fast even though i suck at playing...... Could someone shed some light on this topic, because when i think about it it sounds like cheating. Nick Barker, for example, uses triggers and his double-bass sounds very crisp and even. I question whether or not he could play that fast hitting the bass pedal with his feet at an audible level....