Jason rullo - Grown up?

firebird

New Metal Member
Aug 4, 2002
Visit site
Ok, I have sinned and downloaded the album... :saint:
And its great, I love it and ofcourse I'll buy it.
All of you who didnt download and still think if to buy or not,
BUY, dont even think twice, its amazing! :eek: really makes you wow!

But my question, all of you who heard the album...
Whats wrong with Jason Rullo? Its like his drumming changed, Except for his bass & drum (absoloutly amazing) playing he has done in all albums... he really... dont play like himself.
aint no one HIAT-RIDE drumming (know what i mean?) he usually does... and he, I dunno, I wouldnt be sure if its him unless I knew.

Its like he doesnt give him all.. :guh:
I even dare to say he doesnt do alot of intersting stuff where he could do and usually does...
Its weird, not typical to him

What do you guys think? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Wow... uhm... I think that the drums in this album sounds pretty like... Jason Rullo... hehehe... uhm... I didn't notice any difference from this album to others... I mean, technically speaking... except for the drum's sound... that, obviously... is kinda different from other albums...

Originally posted by †Russel Allen†®
Wow... uhm... I think that the drums in this album sounds pretty like... Jason Rullo... hehehe... uhm... I didn't notice any difference from this album to others... I mean, technically speaking... except for the drum's sound... that, obviously... is kinda different from other albums...

Hey buddy, listen to this album near V, TDWOT, DG
Its not his style man, It has almost nothing technicall except his double bass playing (which I already mentioned, is amazing), no intersting hand works man.
I dunno, maybe I like this drummer so much I have really big expectations from him.

But listen to V and listen to odyssey once more and tell me what you think man, Im really intersted to know if im the only one who feels this way.

Before I post, let me just set the record straight that Ive been drumming for 25 years, so Id like to think I know a little bit about the subject you bring up.

To me Rullo, sounds like Rullo. Odyssey, has his trademark style, his mic tuning, his licks, chops, etc. If anything he has matured as a drummer, but I can tell EASILY, that this is Rullo's trademark playing. Same with his side project REDEMPTION, it carries his style sound, and technique.

Im a huge SX fan, and can compare all the CD's and I totally disagree with you.

Rullo, has his style playing all over Odyssey, as he has in his last 3 prior CD's.

Also take note that this CD is a little more straight ahead balls out Metal on some of the tracks, which do not call for flasy playing. His style is crammed all over Accolade II, and Odyssey the title track.

Originally posted by DrumRman

To me Rullo, sounds like Rullo. Odyssey, has his trademark style, his mic tuning, his licks, chops, etc. If anything he has matured as a drummer,.

Dude if you notice I started this thread with "Grown up"

thats excatly what I wanted to know
If I am the only one who noticed some kind of change about his playing.
I never said its bad or anything, hes still my favourite drummer.

Technically he is even better than mike portnoy.

But I guess they are the same leuage.
They play differently, portnoy is lazy near Rullo.

Originally posted by firebird

LOL! Portnoy Lazy? I dont think so. Now I admit I am a bigger fan of Symphony X than Dream Theater, but love both bands. Ive seen both bands live more than 3 times each. Portnoy is a monster live behind the kit. Lazy? Far from it. He gives 110% and his playin shows it.

You cant compare Portnoy and Rullo, its 2 different styles.

Originally posted by DrumRman
LOL! Portnoy Lazy? I dont think so. Now I admit I am a bigger fan of Symphony X than Dream Theater, but love both bands. Ive seen both bands live more than 3 times each. Portnoy is a monster live behind the kit. Lazy? Far from it. He gives 110% and his playin shows it.

You cant compare Portnoy and Rullo, its 2 different styles.

What are the main differences?

Originally posted by firebird

Rullo technically better than Portnoy??? Portnoy "lazy"??? Just give me a break. How could you say that? For example, have you heard the Liquid Tension Experiment albums? Rullo is great, but surely not as good as Portnoy. That's a fact.

RE: Rullo...OK, I'm deleting my post because the last thing I want to do is offend anybody here, and I shouldn't mention Portnoy's drumming. He's an awesome drummer. Will still say that Jason's physical build reminds me of a jockey, short and streamlined and conditioned for stamina. Sorry about the way I worded the "other" post.

Originally posted by Pharoah
RE: Rullo...From the couple of new MP3s, we have noticed that Jason seems to be altering his style just a bit, playing heavier and more in a Portnoy style. Why? Why not? He can do it and probably wants to show all the DT fans that he can drum like Portnoy!

Thats ridiculous. Its not a game of "ha ha I can do what you can do". Where do you think this crap up?

As far as winning new DT fans I disagree. Most DT fans are from the PROG ROCK category lately, and actually cater to DT's "mellowing" out.

The whole DT vs SX stuff is silly. Both bands are totally 2 different styles, and both bands are extremely talented at what they do.

NUFF SAID.

DrumRman: Yes you're right, 2 different styles, and I agree with your comments. I edited my post. DT >>SymX, it IS silly to compare, but people are doing this all the time. It really does annoy me too.

I'm still looking for any differencies between any of the other SyX records, and this last one... "drumly" speaking... I have all SyX CDs and... as far as I can tell (and I'm not even a drummer... I'm talking as a listener here...), I can't even see any differencies between Jason Rullo and Tom Walling, the 'kitman' behind Twilight in Olympus' beats... :p

Jason Rullo is still Jason Rullo.
Jason Rullo is NOT Mike Portnoy.
Neither is Jason better than Mike nor vice versa.
And Symphony X are still Symphony X.

And the fact that Jason (in your ears) doesn't sound like the Jason everyone expected with The Odyssey is just because the expectations were set way too high.

If the album or the musicians themselves sound different this time, it's what they've chosen to do. But they are still Symphony X, the band we all love.

[
Originally posted by Lady Of The Snow
Jason Rullo is still Jason Rullo.
Jason Rullo is NOT Mike Portnoy.
Neither is Jason better than Mike nor vice versa.
And Symphony X are still Symphony X.

And the fact that Jason (in your ears) doesn't sound like the Jason everyone expected with The Odyssey is just because the expectations were set way too high.

If the album or the musicians themselves sound different this time, it's what they've chosen to do. But they are still Symphony X, the band we all love.

*sniffle* That was beautiful. *sniff* :cry:

You think too much, better listening music :)

Once again, it appears that only experienced musicians consider music as a langage, and not as a competition.

Jason has nothing to prove... and the day he change something in his playing, it is an evolution and it's the way it should be. He will always be "Jason Rullo", in despite of what can say some people.

I have to chime in here. I prefer Rullo's style a bit over Portnoy's, and from what I've heard, they are pretty equal in skill. Yes, Portnoy tears all around LTE, but he also screws up in some places that he shouldn't.

Anyway, anyway ... As for Rullo's playing on The Odyssey, I have only heard the 2 released tracks, but I CAN say that the drums SOUND like Jason's drums, and the style is definitely Jason't style, no question.

But he isn't doing HALF the stuff that I'm used to hearing him do. It's like, I can tell it's him, but I can also tell that he's not kicking the usual ass that I'm used to hearing him kick. It's kinda like he's playing more "normal" or something.

Hopefully I'll feel differently upon hearing the rest of the CD ... but that stuff he did at the end of Fallen, for instance, is way beyond anything he did in KoT or Accolade 2 ... Accolade 1 has more ass-kicking, especially in the snare drum rhythms he does in that one.

Anyway, I think you guys know what I'm getting at...

Also, someone said they didn't hear a big difference between Jason and Tom Walling. Well, I hear a difference, but not a very big one. The style of TiO is a little different, so I think the drumming seems to match the style. Tom's playing in Church of the Machine was amazingly awesome in places IMO, and I'm not sure if Jason would have done the same thing or not, but I CAN say that it definitely sounded like Symphony X drums, not like someone else drumming to SX.

I'll likely get shot for saying this ... but while I think Jason is a slightly better player, there are some things that Tom did that I think would be cool if Jason absorbed into his playing ... even though the similarities are still pretty strong.

Cyaron

Originally posted by Cyaron
I have to chime in here. I prefer Rullo's style a bit over Portnoy's, and from what I've heard, they are pretty equal in skill. Yes, Portnoy tears all around LTE, but he also screws up in some places that he shouldn't.

But he isn't doing HALF the stuff that I'm used to hearing him do. It's like, I can tell it's him, but I can also tell that he's not kicking the usual ass that I'm used to hearing him kick. It's kinda like he's playing more "normal" or something.

Cyaron

LTE was mostly IMPROVISED jams. No such thing as screwing up when your improvising.

Not all music requires the same formula. Are you a drummer? I hope not because if you were, you should have a better understanding of drum ethics. On songs that require it like Accolade II and The Odyssey, Rullo's defined style is all over it, where more straight forward tunes like King Of Terrors, dont require it.