Jason Rullo and Video

csjehovah

New Metal Member
Mar 9, 2010
I can't find a single video of just Mr. Rullo playing. What gives? There's that one live video with the over head view but the video isn't good at all. I searched all the internets and could not find an instructional-esque type video. Romeo has videos of just him shredding, where's the drum-love? Where? Jason Rullo is, imo, the best drum writer and player I've heard, metal or non.

The thing is that most drumming videos are aimed at the beginner level, for people who have no idea what a 9/8 groove is or who need to be spoon-fed basic fills in slow motion. I mean, you tell me, how complicated is this:

Not to knock on Portnoy, but this is really basic stuff. Virgil Donati has a pay-per-view video lesson thing going which is higher-level and more technical:

...but I haven't seen much else that's really noteworthy. Instructional videos are usually cash cows for drummers in very famous bands who can draw on a big fan base. People don't appreciate good drumming, sadly...it's not as out-there as the guitar shred thing. Rullo is definitely a master player and has one of the best musical sensibilities I've heard in a drummer, but it's probably not worth his time at the moment to do a video. People already get to hear what he's doing on the CDs. Would be great to have a lesson one-on-one with him, though...

Last edited by a moderator: