Jason rullo - Grown up?

Tom Walling sounding like Rullo on TiO ??? Well, pretty natural, certainly bekuz' Jason left the band after already composing the drum parts. When Tom started to learn the songs, he probably kept most of Jason's idea and added his own feeling. But those awesome drummers are both at the same "music school", I mean, they are both jazz rock fusion freaks ;-))

Originally posted by †Russel Allen†®
Ooohh.......... so that explains the similarity...

Yeah, and in my opinion Tom was more a studio worker (I mean a useful replacement for the recordings) than a real band member :) but once again, the choice was the best... after Jason I couldn't imagine another drummer than Tom. Is work was awesome.

Originally posted by Cyaron
I have to chime in here. I prefer Rullo's style a bit over Portnoy's, and from what I've heard, they are pretty equal in skill. Yes, Portnoy tears all around LTE, but he also screws up in some places that he shouldn't.

Anyway, anyway ... As for Rullo's playing on The Odyssey, I have only heard the 2 released tracks, but I CAN say that the drums SOUND like Jason's drums, and the style is definitely Jason't style, no question.

But he isn't doing HALF the stuff that I'm used to hearing him do. It's like, I can tell it's him, but I can also tell that he's not kicking the usual ass that I'm used to hearing him kick. It's kinda like he's playing more "normal" or something.

Hopefully I'll feel differently upon hearing the rest of the CD ... but that stuff he did at the end of Fallen, for instance, is way beyond anything he did in KoT or Accolade 2 ... Accolade 1 has more ass-kicking, especially in the snare drum rhythms he does in that one.

Anyway, I think you guys know what I'm getting at...

Cyaron

Thats excatly what I was trying to say, his work in V and his work in odyssey are both gr8 drumming work, but he doesnt do half of the stuff you would expect him to do, stuff he usually does.

Originally posted by firebird
Thats excatly what I was trying to say, his work in V and his work in odyssey are both gr8 drumming work, but he doesnt do half of the stuff you would expect him to do, stuff he usually does.

Did it passed thru your mind that the songs DID NOT demanded for the whole Mr. Rullo's talent and technics?!?!

I mean... did you ever think that, in the composition process for The Odyssey, those drum lines were written exactly as they are, and the talent and technics of Mr. Rullo are not involved on this?!

For sure he is one of the greatest drummers in the whole f*ckin' universe... but... he doesn't have to be it full-time, agreed?!?! :)

I mean... did you ever think that, in the composition process for The Odyssey, those drum lines were written exactly as they are, and the talent and technics of Mr. Rullo are not involved on this?!

Are you trying to say that you think Romeo wrote every single note of The Odyssey & doesn't let the band members have any input, they have to play it exactly as he wrote it?

Originally posted by Lady of the Oracle
Are you trying to say that you think Romeo wrote every single note of The Odyssey & doesn't let the band members have any input, they have to play it exactly as he wrote it?

:eek: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't said that!!!!!!!

I did say that Mr. Rullo have written the drum parts EXACTLY as they are played in the album... that he wasn't improvising in the studio sessions, and the drum parts just came up!!! 'Cause our folks here are thinkin' that Mr. Rullo's talent is missing, that he isn't the same anymore!! I DO NOT THINK THAT WAY, period.

Got it now...?! :D

:eek: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't said that!!!!!!!

I did say that Mr. Rullo have written the drum parts EXACTLY as they are played in the album... that he wasn't improvising in the studio sessions, and the drum parts just came up!!! 'Cause our folks here are thinkin' that Mr. Rullo's talent is missing, that he isn't the same anymore!! I DO NOT THINK THAT WAY, period.

Got it now...?! :D
Okay.

Rullo is very involved in composition of the songs,just take a look at V credits in the home page.After Miller left Rullo became the third main composer in SyX.

I'm not going to styles but I think Mike Portnoy is technically more proficient than Rullo. I've seen like 5 full length videos of DT and Mike Portnoy's instructional stuff. and from SyX I've seen some live videos + full gig (DVD) from Montreal. those are where i base my opinions.

but so what? technique is only a tool. it doesn't matter how much and how good your tools are, what matters is that how do you use your tools.

As i said before, dont let this thing of being a huge fan of a band be in the way of your judgment. I like SX more (to my ears its better), but i still know that DT is a more tech band than SX.

Rullo isnt in portnoy's level yet, dont come here to say that portnoy is lazy. Thats prolly 'cause you havent seen him in live stuff. Really, he is a monster, maybe because of his years of experience, or whatever.

I dont think rullo sounds different in 'The Odyssey", the drums sure got better recorded, more agressive and direct in some songs, but you can still get his style in all songs, specially in "The Odyssey" track.

Well, im not here to say who's better and who's not, but i think portnoy has showed more experience and tech thru all the years he's been on the road.

Thats my opinion :)

Tulio

Heh, ive never really focused on Rullos work, since there are three other people that allways amazes me (Allen, Romeo and Pinella of course...) i guess i have to focus more on this guy.

And btw, noone can threaten Portnoy... He owns the stage, he owns most DT songs, he IS drums personified :D

I know several very technically proficient jazz type drummers who say Rullo is better than Portnoy from a technical standpoint, but I prefer Rullo's drumming regardless of the who is better than who stuff. I think Portnoy goes a little overboard at times.

Based on my first listen to 'the odyssey,' i don't think the complainers have anything to worry about. I too was worried that rullo's playing might have been toned down, but his style is all over the songs. A couple of the songs sounded like they needed a more direct (no frills, perhaps) style for them, and the others had a lot of space for rullo to fill in and put his personal stamp upon.

It also speaks a lot about rullo's talent that he is able to lay back a bit on some songs, rather than just throwing every fill in the book around.

Ok, forgive to open this thread after some time but i really felt the need to react on this thread.
In my opinion: Portnoy is technically a a freaker with measures, almost in a mathematical way. Rullo is a magician, who plays between the measures and grooves like hell!
Portnoy gives me a headache sometimes, not because i don't understand the music, but i don't feel the groove. Jason has it all, i can totally get into the flow!
And i still haven't got the time to really get into the newie, so i'm not going to say anything about that but this is definately Jason playing!
And the magic is still there, thank you, Symphony x!!

xxx Iris xxx

:yell: Rullo rulezz!! :yell:

Heya Drumrman i agree with in what you have posted,i'm a drummer too and i've been playing for 25 years too.I hate it when they start comparing drummers of different kind of bands,like rullo portnoy is a great drummer but like you said they play different styles and cannot be compared like that. I mean portnoy is also more of a showoff drummer,he's good in that,rullo plays more to what the song needs on the records,dt is more of a technical band.But would be great if the 2 toured together aint it

Portnoy does tend to overplay a lot and it becomes a distraction.
The best musicians know when to go balls to the wall and when to pull back. We know what Rullo is capable of, but if he were to get too crazy, than it would hurt the song.
Just like Romeo knows when to hold back on guitar, Jason knows when to hold back on the Drums.
The last guitar solo on Accolade II is probably my favorite. It's not really that fast, and the end of it is just awesome.
It's hard to be a killer drummer without killing the song,
I think Jason is quite good at this.