A quick maiden question

I have to say that I was in exactly the same position last year. I did have copies of IM and Killers on tape, so I wasnt sure whether to fork out for CD's. What swung it for me was the sale that Virgin were having - bought them for £7 or something silly. So you can atleast have the pleasure of knowing they didnt cost you too much. ;) NPFTD is not exactly a must have, but as Mark says it will atleast complete the collection. Which is about the only reason I bought it, because I have very little intention of playing it in the near future. :D

:( Hey dreamy, what the hell are you talking about.

Killers and IM are must have items. How could you live without wrathchild or phantom. hey? well? and what about transalvania?? What about Murders ??

and no prayer has some good songs on it, what about Mother Russia, that rocks!

Great story spawn!

Haha but they way I see it, after he got sent to the nuthouse he got killed by Bruce (Dortmund '83), then was BURIED in a tomb in Egypt hehe, then was ressurected from the grave on Live After Death...

Do you think this particular sequence of events was planned by the band or Derek?

Troops: haha good point! That makes a better story :) I dont think it was planned as i saw a question in an faq on whether it was all planned and they said no.

Dreamwatch: Ill be getting all 3, even NPFTD, just to complete the collection of course :)

Eddie was killed in Dortmund!! And he could beat that Set dude haha.

Anyway on the subject of Derick Riggs goto maiden central and the link to the riggs interview. Its interest. Some stupid questions but interesting!!

A quick question crossy, how and why did they kill eddie anyway?

I read that interview, seems like good old derek is a bit pissed at them, though if he really did invent eddie i guess i dont blame him too much :)

dreamy,
looking back my last post is a bit harsh
i didn't mean it to sound that way
Sorry 'bout that

Originally posted by spawn
A quick question crossy, how and why did they kill eddie anyway?

I read that interview, seems like good old derek is a bit pissed at them, though if he really did invent eddie i guess i dont blame him too much :)

Well I don't know why they killed eddie but maybe it will help if I give you a bit of background on the Dortmund 83 concert.

In 1982 (beast) it was the time when maiden first really broke it big. Beast was a massive album. However they were only just a support act on the US tour. They supported Judas Priest and a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

Then in 1983 they really made it big worldwide. Thanks to Flight of Icarus. Since it was a more pop like song it pulled the yanks in. The World Piece Tour (1983) was such a big success. There last concert on the tour was in Dortmund, Germany. The concert had Ozzy and Priest along with Maiden. In the end Maiden blew both Ozzy and Priest off the stage. You can see the TV broadcast off the 12 Wasted Years Video or you can get the TV broadcast like I have with different songs. (Im dragging on here sorry).. Anyway normally in the song Iron Maiden eddie does something at the end of the song. I think on the world piece tour Bruce ripps his brains out. Bruce was rather drunk at this concert. Actually it wouldn't surprise me if the rest of the band was too. At the end of the song Iron Maiden Bruce ripps outs eddies brains and then proceeds in pushing him over and giving him a number of boots in the head and stomach. Then Dave Murray decides to get into the action and smash's his guitar on eddies head (poor sod in the suit). In the end dave murrays guitar neck is sticking in eddies head and he isn't getting up.

So in all the excitement of finishing there most successful tour they kill eddie.

Also I think Dortmund 83 is maidens best concert. Its just nuts. They really did exterminate Priest and Ozzy (I have there videos too).

oh goto www.maidendownunder.com. I have an interview there from loud mouth 97. It has a little thing about Bruce's night in Dortmund. Very funny :D

Ok enough of my ramblings :)

Returning, if I may, to the point of this thread (yes I know I'm a late arrival, but the eleventh hour is often my finest), the IM album is a masterpiece. I first bought it on tape in 88, and while I was disappointed not to hear Bruce singing, all the songs were superb. The enhanced CD reissue is even better because it includes Sanctuary.

Killers is a bit of a mixed bag. There are some great songs here (Murders In the Rue Morgue, Innocent Exile, Purgatory, Killers and the one I borrowed my nickname from, but the grandaddy of them all is Prodigal Son. This is one of the best songs Maiden ever did, but it's been sadly neglected. Anyone know if it was ever played live?
The rest of the album is pretty much filler, but I mean that in a good way! It's all great material, but nothing that threatens to get up off the stereo and punch you in the face. The guitar part just before the chorus of Another Life is an exception to this though...

I loved No Prayer when it first came out, but in hindsight it doesn' t quite measure up to what came before or after. Maiden were trying to recapture the raw sound of NOTB/Piece of Mind, but they were going about it half-arsed IMHO. Also, the chemistry within the band wasn't the best at the time and it shows in some of the material/performances. There are still some good moments, such as Tailgunner (or a diet version of Aces High), Holy Smoke, the title track, The Assassin, Bring Your Daughter... Hooks In You and Mother Russia.

Time for me to stop raving, as you've already made up your mind to buy them anyway :). I'd be interested to read what you think, though.

W

haha that was a good post crossy, i was laughing out loud when you mentioned what they did to poor eddie :lol:

Ill have to get a copy of that video, is the whole show on the 12 wasted years thingo?
Wrathy: another opinion is always welcomed, i will be letting you all know what i think when i get them :)

12 Wasted Years has some of it. It has the famous Iron Maiden anyway. It also has some cool footage from the beast tour. Go get it. I can send you a copy of Dortmund on video in exchange for those cd's if you would like? Plus a few other things :)

Originally posted by ironcross
12 Wasted Years has some of it. It has the famous Iron Maiden anyway. It also has some cool footage from the beast tour.

Those clips from the 'Beast On The Road' tour are probably my favourite of all Maiden videos. Bruce sounds great!:D

Don't sweat it Gavin, I was just going to reply with "Keep your hair on", but obviously it's a bit late for that. ;) :lol:

I wasnt disputing that they were good albums, its just that at the time I had them on tape and I'm never a great one at replacing things on CD when I already have a copy. I have to REALLY, REALLY love an album to do that, and as good as they are, I just dont love 'em that much. But even I couldnt pass them up for £7 each. :)

Funny reading this all these years later.

Also funny is that since I have heard all Maiden stuff a billion times (except the last two albums I guess), I often reach for their weaker stuff to listen to as I've heard it a few million times less haha. Powerslave is probably my fav 80s Maiden album, and I would have listened to No Prayer more in the last ten years than I have listened to Powerslave...