A request for all of you...

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Some of you will know that UM runs its own store

(www.ultimatemetal.com/shop/)

We run the store to try and raise a little more cash for the site, AND to help promote indie and underground releases - with the odd major label release here and there as well :)

Basically, sales are not what they could be. I'm interested in hearing what YOUR impressions of the store are (if you'd be so kind).

Not enough different stock? Confusing layout? What...?

Thanks for your help.

Mark

The setup is good and professional.

What percentage, do you think, of UMers are Brits? And what percentage of the store's customers are Brits? While you have that nifty script that converts to euros/dollars, I had to search for it, and my very first impression was "they only sell to brits."

Plus, there's only 66 are so albums for sale. That's a good amount, but I suspect you won't be making any sort of real dent until you start selling 10 times more that. Also, why only music? Why not merchandise like shirts, posters, stickers, etc? Is it a warehousing problem? A lot of these bands have fans who can find their CDs in many places, but can't find their T-shirts except at the concerts.

:Spin: Plus, you could always sell copies of my book, and you and DW would be millionaires by the end of the year.

Reactions: Mark
I'm trying to find out where to get shirts etc from (any ideas? direct from the bands?)

And I get what you mean about the currency thing. That may need changing - everyone can convert from US$ to their own :)

Mark said:
I'm trying to find out where to get shirts etc from (any ideas? direct from the bands?)

And I get what you mean about the currency thing. That may need changing - everyone can convert from US$ to their own :)

Well, there's 2 ways to go about it, I suppose. For the smaller/indie bands you could set up a licensing agreement and print the shirts/posters/stickers yourself (like you do with the UM shirt you sell) and give them a pie off the profits. With the bigger bands, you'll probably have to get the shirts directly from them or a licensed wholesaler, I would think.

I'm talking out of my ass, you see.

While I realize that there might not be much to do about it, to be perfectly honest, the common price £9.50 equals about $15.50 at the moment and that is quite a lot for a CD released on an underground label. I suppose most people would just rather order stuff from The End, Red Stream or somewhere where the same records cost $10-12 or so.

Unfortunately, wholesale prices here are somewhat higher than the norm... for example, to get SPV product I'd be paying over £8 per CD...