A serious question...

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
From everything I've been reading about Aphotic has been quite positive, but the re-occuring theme seems to be that INRI was a bad CD, that we missed the mark, lost fans because of it, and so on. It almost feels like maybe we're missing something, because honestly, I don't feel that way about the record at all, and we're our hardest critics.

So I ask you guys, what was good and bad about that CD?

And i'm using this emoticon only because I want to see it. haha :fu:

INRI was the album that made ND my new favorite, i still constantly listen to it. I'm probably not gona give you a good answer because i just love INRI. I AM THE INRI FLUFFER!

To me INRI sounds like a band that dosn't feel the need to prove anything and just knows how to make good music. Maybe people didn't like it because it wasnt a huge step forward from TNR and TPHD. The songs on INRI are just solid, much like Apotic i feel INRI has no weak links.

The one thing i have never understood is why a lot of people cant listen to an album and not compare it to what the band has put out before. I'm pretty sure that if a new band had come out with INRI it would have been great.

I'm not sure i'm making any sense, i just woke up. I'l try to come back later and give an answer worth shit.

Yeah, I have read that too Paul.
Ok - here's my honest opinion, since you asked for it.
You guys know I have been a dedicated fan for about 6 years now, so no reason to be anything LESS than 100% honest.

INRI was a MAJOR step up from Novella.
Quite the contrary, I was a little disappointed in Novella.
The Pale Haunt Departure was brilliant from start to finish.
While I REALLY do like Novella, I thought it was the one album in the whole discography that showed the least progression forward. To put it another way, it was simply the perfect follow up to TPHD, which is great.

On the flipside, I thought INRI brought it to a whole new level.
You could actually hear true progression lyrically and musically.

So, in summary, this may not have been what you were looking for Paul, as I am one who thought INRI was quite stellar.

I have listened to Aphotic about 5 times now. It has REALLY grown on me. This one for some reason took me longer to click and connect with than previous releases, for some reason. The standout tracks for me so far are Harvest Scythe, What Could Have Been, Of Day and Origin (both parts), and Six Sides.

Can't wait for tonight!

INRI was a great CD and I thought a step up from Novella. But what I noticed is that there seemed to be no buzz about it when it was released, and dies off quick, now the latest CD, people are buzzing all over the net about it. To me it seems to be better promoted, the quality has always been there since I became a fan with tphd

I have heard numerous times that INRI was disappointing, etc etc. I honestly don't understand why. As others have already said here, I felt it was a big step up from Novella which (while a good record) didn't as a whole hit me as hard as The Pale Haunt Departure did. A lot of people say there are only a couple songs they like on INRI and the rest is a snore, whereas I feel its one of your most rounded out albums.

So, not really what you were looking for, other than it seems no one around here falls into that group of people. I'd delve deeper into others reasonings I have come across, but I've never really had in depth discussions with the people that say such about it.

EDIT - Actually the other day I talked to someone that seems to be as a whole disheartened by ND material ever since TPHD. Their main mention of reason made no sense to me, as it targeted Paul's cleans as being "Too spoken wordy" and lack what they used to have. Again, an opinion on this material that is the exact opposite of what I think about the material. I don't understand how one can ever claim anything other than sheer progression on the clean vocal front with each album after TPHD. Not to mention the spoken word bit threw me off as all of your previous material was far closer to that than anything on INRI or Aphotic.

I didn't enjoy INRI as much as Novella, but Novella came out around when I was really getting into ND so that may have been a part of it. I still really like INRI, but to be honest I don't like Aphotic as much as INRI or Novella YET, it has been growing, and it is definitely a great record, but I think it needs time to sink in.

the only thing I can say, is that I loved INRI, but I thought that it was more of the same, which means more great, however ND is a band that tends to move forward with every album, and while things did move forward on INRI, it just wasn't as big a step. That is the only thing I can come up with.

I've never seen you guys live since INRI, which maybe also could make a difference. But when it comes to the album, there are some songs I really like. There are also some songs that didn't click as much. I feel this way about Novella Reservoir as well. I always listen to albums straight through and don't often make it all the way through with those two. It feels a bit less cohesive as a whole to me then the two before it, even when the bar has been raised further each album on many dimensions. In other words, I don't think you guys dropped the ball, and I still appreciate those albums, it just hasn't made the impact on me that it perhaps deserved.

I honestly thought about making a thread about this situation after reading the reviews topic... Yeah, to me INRI is incredible and I was impressed from the first spin of the CD. It deserves to be in ND's catalog. I'm listening to it in loop until Aphotic arrives home!

I do think that maybe there is more middle ground on the album. Like I have my two big standouts, and then a handful of songs that I like but don't love.

I think I feel that way about both INRI and Aphotic right now, except I'm unsure what tracks really stand out for me on Aphotic. On INRI the title track, Eulogy, and Empathy's Greed are my standouts.

dude, whoever thinks INRI is a bad record really has bad tastes. it's a major step forward from TNR in terms of musicianship (especially the drumming from Sascha), songwriting and overall production. Empathy's Greed, Eulogy for the Living Lost, Lazarus Regret, all eight of 'em great songs.

Like most here, I thought Novella was just an extension of TPHD...and INRI was a nice step up from that...the only thing about INRI is that perhaps it seems a bit disjointed at times? I would like to hear Aphotic...am not real happy that I have not received my pre-order yet...but from all the reviews, it's a major kicker!

I would NEVER say INRI is bad in any way. It is, however, my least favorite newer ND release. Nothing wrong with it, well executed and some good songs. It just doesn't give me that same feeling that I get when I listen to TPHD or TNR. And now Aphotic has arrived. I'll make more detailed comments in another more appropriate thread later, but you may have written the most beautiful song I have ever heard in "What Could Have Been". My god...

From a posted review of Aphotic ..."Swanö is also responsible for the exceptional sound quality on this release, having mixed the album and seemingly has become the bands go to guy in the studio. "

I love Dan's work, but seriously WTF?

I think INRI and Novella are the band's two best records, and Eulogy is probably one of the top ND songs. Pale Haunt has some great songs, but I've never been with the crowd that feels that it's the best.

Maybe the harsh criticism of INRI has to do with the fact the band's style has evolved from earlier records? Personally, I much prefer the last 2-3 records over any of the older, doomier albums.

From a posted review of Aphotic ..."Swanö is also responsible for the exceptional sound quality on this release, having mixed the album and seemingly has become the bands go to guy in the studio. "

Sadly, most people don't understand what goes into creating a finished product. If the files are recorded poorly, the mix will be poor. Dan's mix sounds as good as it is, because of the top quality or recording we send him, which starts with Chris. Sadly, most people don't get that, and just assume the mix is where it's all at. Dan's amazing, but not even he can shine shit, so quality has to go to him.

We ALWAYS point out whenever possible the importance of what Chris does, and I'll say this again... Chris is the 6th member of Novembers Doom. Without him, we wouldn't sound as good as we do, recorded, OR live, and deserves more recognition for this.

INRI was a step down from TNR and TPHD but certainly in no way was it a poor album. In fact, it's pretty damn good.

This is my bad, and seeing as I have a fecking certificate for audio engineering I feel incredibly dirty after revising that statement. In my defense, seeing as I was going off a digital copy for review I didn't have further information from who was involved with the production side of things, but I shouldn't of been so eager to lap at Dan's sack to such a degree either. I'll take the dunce cap, and go in to revise that for the site.

I came to ND through some rave reviews of Novella. I took a chance and bought it, and played it pretty much constantly for a month. Then I bought TPHD and loved it also. When INRI came out I liked it at a lot, but possibly not as much as Novella. Having listened to Aphotic once, I'm massively impressed. Paul's vocals are awesome on this record! This could well become my favourite ND record. Have you had some recent vocal training, Paul? Your clean singing voice has come on in leaps and bounds on this record.

INRI wasn't a sub-standard or bad album by any stretch. It just lacks that je ne sais quoi that makes me keep coming back to TPHD and Novella. I feel guilty for criticising in any way shape or form as I know the amount of work that goes into a record and you guys put your hearts and souls into everything you release.