A serious question...

Has the band ever considered doing a release which contains all clean vocals?
Maybe an EP?

The reason I ask is that clean vox have been used on everything from electric songs with 100% clean vocals (Autumn Reflection), acoustic songs (Twilight Innocence, etc), and then of course interchangably with harsh vox on the majority of songs.

Would be interesting to hear a release containing all clean vocals.

As others have mentioned, your clean vox get stronger with each release.

I have no clue why INRI was poorly regarded. It doesn't surprise me that many critics don't get it as they usually don't get anything that isn't streamlined these days. I love INRI and the direction you guys took on the album, and the quality was top notch. I only take issue with production if it's overcompressed like Samael's Above or Metallica's Death Magnetic albums...maybe I'm just easy to please.

Having listened to Aphotic once, I'm massively impressed. Paul's vocals are awesome on this record! This could well become my favourite ND record. Have you had some recent vocal training, Paul? Your clean singing voice has come on in leaps and bounds on this record.

Thank you for the compliment. No, I still have not had any vocal lessons, although it's something I've wanted to try for years.

The approach was different this time, in writing and recording. We put a lot more time into the vocals this time around, working on different melodies, so I had a good idea when going into the studio, then my key to all of this is Chris. He works with me, and helps out with harmonies, and melodies, tweaking what I came in with. Recording this time around was different as well. Normally, If a chorus repeats, I would do one, and we'd copy and paste the rest and so on. This time, Chris wanted to capture everything, and a lot of it. He pushed me harder this time, and I sang every part over and over and over and over until he felt I captured the moment. In my entire career, I NEVER experienced vocal fatigue. I didn't know what it was, until recording Aphotic. And I'm very happy he pushed me that hard. I'll do it like this from now on.

something I've wanted...for years...was...Chris. He...came...I would do...the rest. Chris wanted...a lot of it. He pushed...harder...over and over and over and over until he felt...my...fatigue. I'm very happy he pushed...that hard. I'll do it like this from now on.

:tickled:

You know that I love you Paul...just not in the same way that you seem to love Chris.

;)

Since I didn't have anything to do with Pale Haunt, Novella or INRI, I can view them as a fan. Pale Haunt and INRI are on equal footing for me. Novella is the weaker of the three (but ironically has some of my favorite songs on it.) It's not that it is a bad album but there are a few tracks I may hit the skip button on sometimes. INRI and Pale Haunt dont have those "skip button" tracks. I usually listen to them cover to cover.

(Of course I may have been brainwashed to like INRI since I had to play damn near the whole album on tour) :p

I'll take this opportunity to finally post. As far as INRI goes, I can only speak to my experience.

My introduction to Novembers Doom was The Novella Reservoir. I enjoyed it, but it didn't knock my socks off or anything. When I got it, I would regularly blast it on the shitty stereo in my shop. With the crap speakers and all the noise I made working, all I could really hear were the riffs and growls. And while those are great, riffs and growls alone aren't enough for me to truly love an album or band. I got tired of it after a little while and set it aside.

I was looking forward to INRI, and when I finally heard it I remember feeling disappointed, to be honest. I didn't think the riffs were as catchy or engaging as those in NR. My impression, as I remember it, was that the tunes were a little awkward, and didn't seem to have the immediacy and power that those on NR have. I thought it was a weak step backward. I listened to it a couple times and abandoned it.

Now just a few months ago I found myself absolutely sick of all of my music and having a hell of a time finding anything new that I liked, so I decided to go back through my collection and revisit some old albums. I threw on NR, but this time I was working on my computer and listening through headphones. It was a totally different experience. It was more than riffs and growls. I heard more elements in the songs, and I got a better sense of the atmosphere and feeling you guys had created. It completely resonated with me, and I felt like I had discovered my new favorite album. I thought that if I wasn't able to appreciate NR the first time around, maybe I also hadn't heard INRI for what it was.

I threw that one on and had the same experience. There was much more there than I heard the first few times. I didn't like all of the songs right off the bat, and I only listened to certain ones. Eventually, I listened to the rest, and got on board with what you were trying to do. INRI has become my favorite Novembers Doom album (although Aphotic is kicking it's ass at the moment). And all three of your last albums have solidified Novembers Doom as one of my favorite bands.

So with that perspective, I'll also say this about INRI. I do think the songs are heavier and denser, and my impression of it has been that it's more deathy and less doomy than your earlier albums. When I first heard it, I was listening to more doom, and I anticipated more deathy doom instead of doomy death (I know how lame that sounds), so that might have played a part in my reaction. Compared to NR, and especially Aphotic, there's less movement within each song. The songs either feel like a huge slab of concrete coming down, or like a train barreling forward, confined to a single direction. The riffs are less catchy, and I'm less likely to hum a song from INRI in my head than a song from another album. This is not a bad thing to me, because I don't think songs have to be catchy or hummable to be great, and obviously it's been my favorite album until Aphotic. Though when Aphotic becomes more familiar, INRI might reclaim it's place as my favorite ND album. I kind of doubt it, but time will tell.

I was listening to the album while driving to work this morning. Here's my statement:
1) Sometimes you just wander around, escape from your car making other drivers crazy because you're driving way too slow... (The 5th Day Of March)

2) On the opposite, sometimes you're stuck in a traffic jam for miles and it makes you crazy because the only thing you need is speed ! (Lazzarus Regret)

That's what this album is all about: I'm talking about diversity. Definitively a Novembers Doom trademark: you can listen to any album as a whole, but every song has its own feeling.

People complaining about INRI ? They don't have a car ! :lol:

I think INRI is a quality disc, but it didn't hit me as hard as TPHD or TNR. Most of that has to do with my listening habits at the time the disc was released. At the time INRI was released for whatever reasons I never gave it the kind of attention I did with the previous two. It was just overshadowed by other things that had captured my attention at that point in time. For the record The Pale Haunt Departure is hands down my favorite ND disc. It's a top 10-15 of the decade type for me.

The same thing is happening to me with the new disc. It's good, and I've liked what I've heard ... it's just been overshadowed by Symphony X, Pagan's Mind, and a few other bands I hold in high regard. Hopefully when those have run their course with me I can give Aphotic the proper amount of attention it deserves. As it stands now I think it's a top 10 for me, but with additional spins it could move it's way up higher.

Britt

in my opinion the only disadvantage l found on INRI was the production the songs was ok but l think they were not having the quality they deserved
l respect dan swano/chris wilco works.The production on aphotic was awesome and features some of the best PAUL KUHRS clean vocals to date
there is no bad record from novembers doom for me

Amid Its Hallowed Mirth - 10/10
Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers - 9/10
The Knowing - 9/10
To Welcome the Fade - 8/10
The Pale Haunt Departure - 9/10
The Novella Reservoir - 8.5/10
Into Nights Requiem Infernal - 7.5/10
Aphotic - 6/10

Kind of surprised to hear this is a reoccurring theme. I think you guys are one of the most consistent bands out there... even more so, when you consider that the ND sound is constantly in a state of evolution, whereas some bands just keep releasing the same disc over and over again.