A review of "Aphotic", from a fan...

Dragon_Unearthed

Tattooed by darkness
Dec 5, 2004
New Fuckin' England
I thought that Erik Thomas' (Metal Review) review was spot on….therefore no need for me to say the same thing. So I figured I review “Aphotic” in a different manner. I told my 12 year old daughter to listen to the CD in its entirety. Then to listen to each song separately and while doing so, I gave her a pack of crayons (old school, only 8 crayons; red, green, blue, purple, yellow, orange, brown, black) and told her to use each crayon for a different song, and draw a picture representing the CD and each song. Of course, this was no easy task for a 12 year old, mostly because of the lyrics..either not understanding what some words meant, or the meaning in sentences. Even the song title she had to look up. The colors of green, yellow, and orange were very difficult for her to use, because as she put it, “They are too happy for this CD.” She decided to choose her colors for those songs by selecting a phrase or sentence directly in those songs. Here is each song, and the crayon she associated with each:

1) “The Dark Host” – she chose purple, only because as she said “Black is already taken, so the next dark color is purple..and that is what surrounds us.”
2) “Harvest Scythe” – blue….cold blue steel…reminded her of some of the machinery out on the dairy farm she lives on.
3) “Buried” – brown, “Easy, because you bury someone in dirt”
4) “What Could Have Been” – she chose red, and only because of the phrase “Empty arms, we’re changed forever, when two hearts break together.”
5) “Of Age and Origin Part 1: A Violent Day” – green, and it was difficult with green, but the phrase “Starvation for light’s rebirth”; you’ll see in the picture some wilted flowers, starving for light.
6) “Of Age and Origin Part 2: A Day of Joy” – yellow..and the phrase “To scribe the tale of age and origin, where words are mine and mine alone”; the yellow balloon is her way of rising above the darkness.
7) “Six Sides” – orange, a box…”It was the only color left”
8) “Shadow Play” – black, was the first crayon to go, because in her words, “Shadows are the only true darkness…well, besides vampires *giggles*”

I am a little disappointed in the quality of her artwork, because she had done much, much better…but she drew this in only 30 minutes. Alas, we have “Aphotic” through the eyes of a 12 year old girl:

photo.php

I think it's rather brilliant for a 12 year old girl using crayons, quite frankly. Having a visual representation of how our music is interpreted by someone that young is far more interesting to me than reading much of the critiques from the jaded metal critics out there.