First Impression Review of Aphotic!!!

great_kthulu

Greater Evil
Apr 27, 2009
Soooo, the band was selling the new disk at the show last night/this morning, so I thought I would give you guys a quick track-by-track based on my first listen through:

1. The Dark Host: Violin opening is great, very gothenburg styled main riff, also one of the most progressive tracks we have heard from ND. Great clean guitar solo from larry.

2. Harvest Scythe: One of the most upbeat tracks on the album, people can listen to it now on the podcast, very catchy.

3. Buried: If you could turn desperation into a song, this would be it. HEAVY AS HELL!! One of larry's best solos is in this track, it has a subtle blues influence, really incredible.

4. What Could Have Been: Why are you reading this?! Go watch the video!!

5/6. Of Age and Origin: Most people should have heard part 1 by now, very dark and brooding. Part 2 opens up into haunting melodies that have a very bittersweet quality about them. Joyous yet mournfull.

7. Six Side: OH THE BASS!!! Another upbeat song, mikes bass is incredible. Really cool stuff. The only song without a solo, though it does have an instrumental break kind of similar to pale haunt.

8. Shadows Play: If you missed a solo on six sides, this song makes up for it, I think there are 3. It starts off slow and clean, making you think it's another balled, but then it becomes much heavier. Really a great way to end the album.

Overall, my first impression is that this is ND's best release so far. It is more progressive and I would say darker then INRI. Mikes bass also really steps things up. Most tracks have guitar solos this time around witch I love because I can't get enough of larry's solos! I really look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on this disk. It is a masterpiece, easily the best release of the year so far, and a sure contender for my number one slot.

More reviews should start popping up today/tomorrow. I'll be very surprised to come across any negative ones.

As if i wasnt excited enough to get my copy on tuesday. Reading this makes the wait almost unbearable!!!