APHOTIC - May 10th

ND_MODERATOR

Apr 7, 2006
www.novembersdoom.com
Chicago's NOVEMBERS DOOM has finished recording its eighth full-length album, "Aphotic", for a May 10 release via The End Records. The CD features special guests on several tracks: Anneke Van Giersbergen (AGUA DE ANNIQUE, THE GATHERING) delivers a chilling and haunting vocal on What Could Have Been"; world-renowned violinist Rachel Barton Pine (EARTHEN GRAVE) lends her talent on both "What Could Have Been" and "The Dark Host"; finally, the man behind the mixing board, Dan Swanö (NIGHTINGALE, EDGE OF SANITY, BLOODBATH), adds his vocal touch to "Of Age and Origin", also offering rare appearance of his mighty growl!

NOVEMBERS DOOM frontman Paul Kuhr says of the new album, "One goal in NOVEMBERS DOOM is to never repeat ourselves. We aim to constantly challenge our writing abilities to deliver something new each and every time, while maintaining what we feel is our signature sound. We feel we've not only accomplished that with 'Aphotic', but have pushed our creativity into new musical territory. The result is quite possibly the most unique NOVEMBERS DOOM release yet."

According to a press release, "Aphotic" "has its roots in darkness and melancholic madness, reminiscent of the band's early doom roots but bringing something new and modern to the listener."

"Aphotic" track listing:

01. The Dark Host
02. Harvest Scythe
03. Buried
04. What Could Have Been
05. Of Age and Origin - Part 1: A Violent Day
06. Of Age and Origin - Part 2: A Day of Joy
07. Six Sides
08. Shadow Play

APHOTIC_small.jpg

I'm not crazy about the artwork, especially the font and colour used for the title. I didn't like the "gothy" cover of the previous album either. I've always prefered their bleaker stuff like The Novella Reservoir where the gloomy atmosphere of their music is portrayed perfectly.

Did the band stop working with Travis Smith? If yes, when and why?

I'm not crazy about the artwork, especially the font and colour used for the title. I didn't like the "gothy" cover of the previous album either. I've always prefered their bleaker stuff like The Novella Reservoir where the gloomy atmosphere of their music is portrayed perfectly.

Did the band stop working with Travis Smith? If yes, when and why?

We like it. That's all that matters. We can't please everyone, and we don't try to.

We like to use different artists from CD to CD so they don't all look exactly alike. I'm sure we'll work with Travis again in the future.

me neither, but covers can suddenly click when you hear the music and read the lyrics :) i'll reserve judgment until then. either way i'm very much looking forward to the record guys!

We like it. That's all that matters. We can't please everyone, and we don't try to.
Sorry, I merely stated that I don't like the artwork and the turquoise colour chosen for the font looks just terrible. I didn't know comments weren't welcome here. I'll refrain from expressing further opinion and leave the forum for fans who enjoy everything only.

Sorry, I merely stated that I don't like the artwork and the turquoise colour chosen for the font looks just terrible. I didn't know comments weren't welcome here. I'll refrain from expressing further opinion and leave the forum for fans who enjoy everything only.

He never said your comments/opinions weren't welcomed here. We welcome ALL opinions, unless they are clearly said in a douchebag way(which I don't think yours was). This is OUR forum, so we can also post comments and opinions. :D

Batmura that's fucking unfair and you know it. You made a blunt honest statement about your dislike of the artwork and font, and Paul gave a blunt, honest statement back about how we felt about it. That's all. It's ok for you but not for us? Bullshit. We didn't call you names or go on a big tirade about it. We're not expecting everyone to like everything we do, it's impossible, we just do what we like and hope others do too, and if some don't, then that's how it goes. If there's anything that gets on our nerves about people's negative opinions perhaps it's the lack of tact with which they put it across?

ALL comments are welcome, but expect a retort with the same tone when a comment comes back. It goes both ways. My answer was simply stating a fact. We like it and to us, that's all that matter. We CAN'T please everyone, so we please ourselves, and hope others enjoy it. It's really that simple. I apologize if you took it any other way. How you got the idea of your comments not being welcome here confuses me.

We like it and to us, that's all that matter. We CAN'T please everyone, so we please ourselves, and hope others enjoy it. It's really that simple.

I like that way of thinking. To me, that's the mark of a true artist; i mean if the artist isn't pleased with their art, then why show it to others. That's how i feel when i make music; never worrying about what others may think.

I'm a little late to the party, but I can't wait to hear this! The album cover looks pretty sick, and I wonder if it ties in with a particular song?

I didn't know November's Doom was on this site either, though I feel stupid for not knowing earlier I'm excited.