NOVEMBERS DOOM Parts Ways With Drummer, Seeks Replacement -

swany76

May 4, 2008
Chicago's NOVEMBERS DOOM has parted ways with drummer Sasha Horn. The band states, "For once this isn't your typical 'musical differences' excuse; this is simply due to distance and Sasha's pursuit and focus in other directions, it became clear to all of us, he was no longer able to contribute the same dedication to NOVEMBERS DOOM as the rest of the band. We wish Sasha the best in his future endeavors.

"As for the future of NOVEMBERS DOOM, we are currently seeking to fill this position. Anyone interested in this opportunity can contact us through drummer@novembersdoom.com. Several projects are already in the works, and [while] it's too soon for any formal announcements, we can assure you, NOVEMBERS DOOM's best days are yet to come."

"What Could Have Been", the latest video from NOVEMBERS DOOM, can be viewed below. The clip has a cinematic feel and was once again helmed by Cage XXI Enterprises and director Tony Myles, who was responsible for the band's "Autumn Reflection" and "A Eulogy for the Living Lost" videos.

"What Could Have Been", which features a guest appearance by Dutch singer Anneke Van Giersbergen (AGUA DE ANNIQUE, THE GATHERING), comes off NOVEMBERS DOOM's eighth full-length album, "Aphotic", which was released on May 10 via The End Records. The CD features other special guests on several tracks: world-renowned violinist Rachel Barton Pine (EARTHEN GRAVE) lends her talent on both "What Could Have Been" and "The Dark Host"; finally, the man behind the mixing board, Dan Swanö (NIGHTINGALE, EDGE OF SANITY, BLOODBATH), adds his vocal touch to "Of Age and Origin", also offering rare appearance of his mighty growl!

NOVEMBERS DOOM frontman Paul Kuhr says of the new album, "One goal in NOVEMBERS DOOM is to never repeat ourselves. We aim to constantly challenge our writing abilities to deliver something new each and every time, while maintaining what we feel is our signature sound. We feel we've not only accomplished that with 'Aphotic', but have pushed our creativity into new musical territory. The result is quite possibly the most unique NOVEMBERS DOOM release yet."

According to a press release, "Aphotic" "has its roots in darkness and melancholic madness, reminiscent of the band's early doom roots but bringing something new and modern to the listener."

"Aphotic" track listing:

01. The Dark Host
02. Harvest Scythe
03. Buried
04. What Could Have Been
05. Of Age and Origin - Part 1: A Violent Day
06. Of Age and Origin - Part 2: A Day of Joy
07. Six Sides
08. Shadow Play

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162551

Read about this on Facebook.
As an attentive fan, I can't say I didn't see this coming, all the way back from when Sasha first moved, and then a while back when I saw that These Are They were looking for his replacement.

Sasha will be missed! He was killer live and on disc.

Oh god damn it. This blows. Sasha's work on Aphotic is phenomenal. Here's an odd tidbit I discovered. Throw Aphotic on an ipod and listen to it in a Prius. I have no idea why, but it plays as basically drums, with everything in the background. Aphotic sounds like Sasha Horn and his backup band. :lol: I wouldn't say it's the best way to listen to it, but it's damn cool.

Sorry to hear this. I hope you guys find someone equal or better, with the right chemistry and dedication... and soon.

Read about this on Facebook.
As an attentive fan, I can't say I didn't see this coming, all the way back from when Sasha first moved, and then a while back when I saw that These Are They were looking for his replacement.

Sasha will be missed! He was killer live and on disc.

well if your posting here, you're probally an attentive fan, but regardless I thought this would get some discussion going.

As much as I like Dave, he'll probably take over Novembers Doom and kick everybody out like he did with the Madden brothers. :) I don't know the whole story though, so I've no idea what I'm talking about... :)

ROFL as much as I respect Dave I couldn't help but laugh at this. I don't understand why he did that and I don't understand why he deletes all my questions in regards to it on Facebook. Ah well as to the topic itself I hope Novembers Doom finds an amazing drummer! :D

Joel

We've received a staggering amount of videos from drummers, from all over the world wanting an audition, and we have them all learning one song they need to play and video themselves doing it. Our first live audition is coming up, so we're looking forward to this.

As much as I like Dave, he'll probably take over Novembers Doom and kick everybody out like he did with the Madden brothers. :) I don't know the whole story though, so I've no idea what I'm talking about... :)

:lol: I just got a pretty good laugh. I don't even think the Maddens know what happened... still.

You have to admit, the timing of this was pretty suspicious. I mean, first Steve Jobs announces he's leaving Apple, and then two days later, Sasha leaves Novembers Doom. So I figure either Steve Jobs is the new Novembers Doom drummer, or Sasha is going to take over Apple.

Ken

You have to admit, the timing of this was pretty suspicious. I mean, first Steve Jobs announces he's leaving Apple, and then two days later, Sasha leaves Novembers Doom. So I figure either Steve Jobs is the new Novembers Doom drummer, or Sasha is going to take over Apple.

Ken

ACTUALLY, that was just when our official announcement came out. Steve left Apple and Sasha leaving ND happened on the SAME day!