A slightly odd request (mellower stuff)

DarkViper

New Metal Member
Sep 3, 2008
Ok, so I've been feeling really depressed (A friend died recently, school is stressing me out and I've been having troubles with some of my friends, but you all don't really care anyway :p) lately and my normal library of Death/Thrash metal is just too loud. It just hurts to listen to it.

Anyway I've identified some of the music I do have that relaxes me and has helped me to feel better. I'm looking for some songs or bands that are similiar to what is listed below.

Floods - Pantera
Suicide Note pt. 1 - Pantera
Cemetary Gates - Pantera
Flames of the End - At The Gates
Into the Dead Sky - At The Gates
The whole Damnation Albumn by Opeth
In Rememberance - Morbid Angel
Fade to Black - Metallica

Ok, I know you all are probably going to think I'm some pussy emo, but whatever. If you can help me find some softer (instrumental maybe?) stuff similiar to what I have here, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Cody

Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Agalloch - The Mantle

Mostly accoustic (and often instrumental) and has a very bleak and depressing atmosphere if that's what you're looking for.

These don't sound like the bands you've mentioned but they might appeal to you.

Dornenreich, "Durch Den Traum"
Very rich in atmosphere and mood, some ambient and acoustic parts as well.

Moonspell, "Darkness and Hope"
I really enjoy this album, a bit different from their usual stuff, it's kinda rock-ish but a great album to listen to when you're in the mood for something mellow.

My Dying Bride
Not sure if you like them, but if you haven't heard them...some of their stuff is a bit depressing though, but an awesome band.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly like the examples mentioned in the first post, but (hopefully) in a simliar mood:

The Third And The Mortal - "Death Hymn"

Since the sound quality of the clip above is rather poor, here's the album version (only music):

The Third And The Mortal - "Autopoéma" (another song from the same album, only music)

Autumn - "Solar Wake" (only music)

Fear Of God - "White Door" (someone combined this song with sequences from a videogame)

Ok, so I've been feeling really depressed (A friend died recently, school is stressing me out and I've been having troubles with some of my friends, but you all don't really care anyway :p) lately and my normal library of Death/Thrash metal is just too loud. It just hurts to listen to it.

Ok, I know you all are probably going to think I'm some pussy emo, but whatever. If you can help me find some softer (instrumental maybe?) stuff similiar to what I have here, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Cody

If you want some instrumental or mostly instrumental stuff I suggest...

Explosions In The Sky
Pelican
Mono
Flood by Boris

Some non-instrumental, non-metal stuff...
Deerhunter
Atlas Sound
Joy Division
Turn On The Bright Lights-era Interpol
Elliott Smith

Metal...
Agalloch
Alcest
Velvet Cacoon
Wolves In The Throne Room
Xasthur
Nortt
Leviathan
Striborg
Burzum

Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Agalloch - The Mantle

Mostly accoustic (and often instrumental) and has a very bleak and depressing atmosphere if that's what you're looking for.

Elliott Smith!

Nocturnal Depression is the right choice for you.

Nope, but Xasthur is.

This song is amazing, it has magical abilities, it is incredibly beautiful but still keeps a haunting atmosphere...

The one and only Stairway... of course.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pWOGPNQZRY&feature=related[/ame]

(Sorry, but the song is almost fourteen minutes, so it needs to be in two parts.)

This song is incredible... need I say more?

I hope those help you out.

Hey everyone. Sorry about the post and run. Been really busy the last few days.

ALOT of great bands and suggestions. Thanks for all the help. It's nice to find a forum where people actually know what they are talking about when it comes to good music. :D

Again, thanks for all the help,
Cody

Planet Caravan - Black Sabbath

Ann'Sannat, Valia, October Falls, Nest, Death In June, Forseti, Neun Welten, Sonne Hagal, Werkraum, Green Carnation, Unto Ashes, Tenhi.

Neofolk etc <3

Dark haunting and eerie stuff by the great late Nick Drake,has a creepy calm before the storm atmosphere.

Try the The Sense Apparatus by Frantic bleep, their name may be terrible, but there's something strangely relaxing about them.

If you want some instrumental or mostly instrumental stuff I suggest...

Explosions In The Sky
Pelican
Mono

Great recommendations! I love this kind of stuff, Try Do Make Say Think, Dianogah, Red Sparowes and Porcupine Tree too.