What three albums should I get?

B1985

New Metal Member
Oct 1, 2007
I've listened to Metallica for years, but I have just started getting into metal over the past year.

What I like: Megadeth (Rust in Peace, KIMB, So far so good, basically everything except Risk) ;Metallica(Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, Justice for All); Dream Theater; Pantera (Only a few songs I really enjoy: Cemetery Gates, Walk, Cowboys from Hell); various Black Sabbath on occassion; Avenged Sevenfold (City of Evil)

Albums I have that are ok in small doses: Metal Church(Metal Church); Testament (Practice what you preach & Souls of Black)

Have and Don't like: Slayer(Reign in Blood); Anthrax (Amongst the living); Venom (Black Metal)

A few favorite songs: In My Darkest Hour, Holy Wars, Cemetery Gates, Master of Puppets, The Call of Ktulu

I'm been browsing this forum and there are just too many recommendations for me to make a good decision on which 3-4 albums to purchase first. I enjoy guitar solos, I am less into screaming and looking for more clean vocals. I like the thrash style from Megadeth and early Metallica, but I haven't really got hooked on the other thrash bands I've tried. I like dream theater's instrumentals and they make up for the vocals being a bit to airy and sometimes just annoying.

These are what I have been looking at so far, but feel free to suggest something else:

Adagio- Underworld 2003 Next Profundis
Symphony X (maybe the odyssey)
Slayer- South of Heaven(heard one song of this album on Pandora I liked, forgot which one it was though) & Seasons in the Abyss
Dark Angel- Time Does Not Heal- Darkness Descends
Andromeda-extension of the wish
Kreator
Nevermore
Opeth
Wintersun-Wintersun
Ensiferum-Ensiferum

"Wintersun" by Wintersun, "Ensiferum" by Ensiferum and either "Paradise Lost" or "The Odyssey" would be my recommendations.

Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction
Onslaught - In Search of Sanity
Testament - The New Order
Fates Warning - The Sceptre Within
Coroner - RIP

I GUARANTEE you will enjoy all of the above. Start with Mortal Sin and go from there.

symphony x - divine wings of tragedy
ensiferum - ensiferum
kreator - coma of souls

judging by your taste, you will love those albums.

www.metal-archives.com check the reviews on all those albums/bands, if you haven't yet.

Symphony X-The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Iced Earth-Night Of The Stormrider
Reverend Bizarre-In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend

These albums all only use clean vocals. Since you said that you're not into screaming, I'll assume you won't like death metal vocals either, otherwise I would've recommended "Novembers Doom-The Pale Haunt Departure" as well. You should enjoy the 3 albums I listed though.

The local music stores don't have that good of a selection, but I picked up Symphony X The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, Paradise Lost, and Iced Earth-Night of the Stormrider. I need to do more listening, but I'm enjoying Symphony X and have mixted feelings on Iced Earth so far.

Will probably order Ensiferum soon, but where can I get Mortal Sin-Mayhemic Destruction for a reasonable price? Amazon doesn't even sell it.

hrm...lets see

1) Opeth - Blackwater Park ( or Ghost Reveries, Still Life, Deliverance, Morningrise)
2) Bloodbath - Resurrection through Carnage
3) Strapping Young Lad - Alien (or City or their self titled or the New Black)
4) Behemoth -Demigod
5) Death - The Sound of Perseverance
6) Dimmu Borgir - In Sorti Diaboli (Or Deathcult Armageddon)
7) Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes
8) In Flames - Whoracle (or Reroute to Remain, Jester Race)
9) Insomnium - Above the Weeping World
10) Kamelot - Ghost Opera
11) Katatonia - The great cold distance
12) Mastodon - Leviathan
13) Nevermore - Godless Endeavor
14) Soilwork - A Predators portrait

Really enjoy Symphony X, they are like a better version of Dream Theater with balls.
I have Kreator, Ensiferum, Coroner, and Wintersun on order, so I'll be checking those out next week.
Thanks for all the recommendations.