A stupid pro tools question.

normally you have to relink the file. it can do it automatically or manually. try not to move files about oo much or it will cry.

and when you've finished a session and made your edits final. ALWAYS...

1) consolidate
2) Delete unused playlists
3) clear the region list. of unused regions ESPECIALLY auto created regions
4) Save session copy in ...elsewhere n the harddrive.

Then if you're feeling brave delete the old version or backup to dvd or whatever

the session will run much smoother for mixing after doing this as your ram is taking so much of a beating, that and all the files will be together, and if someone else is going to mix it, it'll be nice and tidy.

Okay how do I relink it.

Here is the situation I am running into:

I redo something in melodyne and bounce it to the desktop so I can snag it both quick and easy. However I don't want to keep it there so I move it into the audio folder where the project is located. Then I can't save because all of the sudden Pro Tools is like "hey fucker you moved something where the fuck is it" only unlike cubase it doesn't ASK YOU where it is, it just says "you moved it".

Anoying, so anyway all I wan't to do it tell it "shut the fuck up here the god damned file is" and save it that way.

Oh and I always consolidate: erase any unused media etc...

To relink:
Go to Window > Task Manager

You should see the missing files/links and then you just have to point to where you moved the file and tell PT to commit links.

To prevent it from happening again:

Check the box in prefences 'Automatically copy files on Import', then you can just delete the file from the desktop after importing into PT.