Pro Tools Midi Question

Zack Uidl

Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, Illinois
www.zackuidl.com
Hey guys,

I currently use Pro Tools LE, HD as well as Cubase. In Cubase, I know how to adjust the input MIDI velocities. However, I can't seem to figure this out in pro tools. Is this possible or not? I hate having to input the midi and then adjust the velocities later.

Might be a simple question, but I appreciate your input.

Thank you.

Take care

You need to switch to the velocity view of course.
just like changing your automation view on any other track

The trick with changing the velocities is that you can't click on the little diamond showing the velocity amount, you have to click on the note first. It makes sense, but it always takes me a moment to remember what to do.

It would be nice to be able to see velocity and notes at the same time separately I agree.

I hope that explains it.

You need to switch to the velocity view of course.
just like changing your automation view on any other track

The trick with changing the velocities is that you can't click on the little diamond showing the velocity amount, you have to click on the note first. It makes sense, but it always takes me a moment to remember what to do.

Really? I think you can even click on the "diamond" and raise the velocity, maybe I'm wrong, I have to check it out.

It would be nice to be able to see velocity and notes at the same time separately I agree.

I hope that explains it.

Yes like cubase, notes and velocity at the same time!!! :headbang:
I miss that way of working!!! much smoother and faster!

Thanks.

The problem is that the input velocity level is so low on both the hd and le versions. So, when doing drums, for example, they sound weak obviously with the low velocities. So, I have to enter them at one velocity and the go back and highlight (Grab) all the MIDI notes and raise the velocity. It would just make it easier to have them start high and then change velocities when needed.

Yeah, I figured you were talking about the default velocity, rather than adjusting it after the fact - my only suggestion would be check the MIDI options window, sorry dude!

yeah bring up the MIDI operations window... i know there are options for velocity in there... but i've never used/needed input/velocity quantization.

alternatively, you should be able to program your drum brain to default every hit to a certain velocity... i did that for kick when i tracked using a DM5.