a Tor with horns?

spaffe

Geisterglut
Feb 25, 2002
Sverige
www.skivsamling.nu
i just noticed that Tor on the cover for "the crusher" has got a horned helmet, what's up with that, i thought everyone knew that the vikings (and probably the asa-gods as well) never had any horns on their helms.
this is a very odd error from a band that's very knowledgeable when it comes to vikings and their mythology.

here; the horns, clearly visible:
TheCrusher.jpg

prolly cant blame the band, im sure they gave the artist their ideas and he put it down......ah well...without getting techinical I think it looks like a decent cover, maybe its just me :p

Originally posted by Dodens Grav
Actually, the guy does look kinda like the Mongol half of Hungarian (from the Kievan Rus). I should know.

Hmm somehow I agree with you on that...
At least he doesnt look very Nordic...

Originally posted by Dodens Grav
Actually, the guy does look kinda like the Mongol half of Hungarian (from the Kievan Rus). I should know.

hehe yes he's certainly not very (classical) scandinavian-looking with that dark hair and beard, and i think he's too muscular and he also reminds me of that horrible manowar-barbarian :yuk: *shudder*

i find this horned savage funny! i think it`s just some amusing barbarian figure caricature, thats all. im sure the artists was aware of the fact that vikings never wore this kind of helmets.

should be blonder and whiter i agree
however i have met many dark haired norwegians (both nationality and long family history being norwegian) and i think....totally not sure one this, but i seem to remember learning somewhere that most of the seafaring beat-up-europe vikings were norwegian, so maybe that has something to do with it? doesnt really make much sense since AA is swedish, but its an idea

the man on the cover always reminded me of one of those stretchy flex action figure thingers that were really popular back in the 80's. stretch armstrong and all that. am i the only one that sees this?

Originally posted by M.
should be blonder and whiter i agree
however i have met many dark haired norwegians (both nationality and long family history being norwegian) and i think....totally not sure one this, but i seem to remember learning somewhere that most of the seafaring beat-up-europe vikings were norwegian, so maybe that has something to do with it? doesnt really make much sense since AA is swedish, but its an idea

the man on the cover always reminded me of one of those stretchy flex action figure thingers that were really popular back in the 80's. stretch armstrong and all that. am i the only one that sees this?

Well, the Norwegian Vikings were often going west to England and France, where as Vikings from the Swedish east coast, were going east into Russia. They used the rivers to go even furhter south all the way down to Turkey and the mediteranian. It's important to remember that Norway, Sweden and Denmark didn't really exist the way they do today.
Yeah, I know, I'm quite an historian.

As far as the cover goes... Well, maybe it's not too brilliant...

Originally posted by Ardbeg
Well, the Norwegian Vikings were often going west to England and France, where as Vikings from the Swedish east coast, were going east into Russia. They used the rivers to go even furhter south all the way down to Turkey and the mediteranian. It's important to remember that Norway, Sweden and Denmark didn't really exist the way they do today.
Yeah, I know, I'm quite an historian.

As far as the cover goes... Well, maybe it's not too brilliant...

True, and back then Vikings were commonly known as "the Rus" and thus, we gave name to Russia.

Originally posted by Patric
True, and back then Vikings were commonly known as "the Rus" and thus, we gave name to Russia.

Indeed, we have good reason to be proud of our fellow ancestors :)

Originally posted by Aggressor
Indeed, we have good reason to be proud of our fellow ancestors :)

Agreed, agreed. Btw, is that "Free us oh Lord from the wrath of the Norsemen" you got written in your sig?

speaking of latin, i bitterly regret that i did not choose to study that, now i'll have to do it in university where i'll have tons of other stuff to do :(
any of you two who understands it or can write some? would be really cool, not that useful... just cool :)

No unfortunatly not :(
Im able to understand some of it, but way to little to be able to write it...

And I agree with you not useful, but cool :)

I'm taking German lessons soon (eine heffeweissen, bitte!) soon. But damn, I'd like to learn Russian, Polish or some real metal-as-fukk language like Icelandic or old norse. And if I REALLY wanted to cut my head in two, perhaps Finnish which I hear is impossible to learn.