A touching story and a lot of photos of Warrel's last days

For those who don't use the book

---------- Please Read Till The End -----------

I don't know how to start this. I don't know if these words will punch through the deaf ears.

This morning a lot us woke up with terrible news. I did not make a public statement with naive hopes that someone will come out and say "Dude it was a fucking joke". Unfortunately it is not. As of this morning Warrel Dane has left this world. He was working on his next solo album, it was so epic that his heart couldn't take it. The world will never know another crazy man like him. He lived the life to the fullest and did not live "inside four walls". He is singing with Dio now.

The world has lost a great musician but I have lost a great friend and a dear brother. I was super lucky to know such a great man and more then that, even luckier to work with him. He lent his voice for 'Liberation's Fall'. I wanted to create this album of our best moments so we may always remember him and how great of a man he was. Unfortunately some people could not see through his past and always treated him badly. Even "the brother of sundown could not bleach away his past".

"I see the world is dead, I am betrayed"

First and foremost, I think a lot of you know that my band Collector takes its name from him and his work. When the band first started, everyone loved the song 'Heart Collector' soo much that they named the band Collector. Nevermore
and Warrel's operic voice have always been one of our biggest inspirations, so working with him was surreal for us.

Reaching him was not easy. It took me 3 months of bombing him and his network with messages to reach him. Most of you know me for the arrogant son of bitch I am. I never give up. I am glad I didn't. After getting in touch with him, he was instantly on board. While majority of this rotten industry didn't even have the decency to respond to our email, Warrel saw through us being a new band and jumped on board. He was always supportive of us and shared his knowledge with us as much as he can.

After we announced that Warrel is joining us on 'Liberation's Fall', a lot of people told me 'to be cautious' and have a solid contract in place. People who haven't even talked to him in over 20 years, quoted his past and his drinking problem. Well, the Warrel I met wasn't that guy. He was one of the most professional musicians in the studio. After all this gossip, I prepared a literal bag of Whiskey for him upon his arrival. Even with all this temptation and me enabling him, he refused to touch any drinks before the recording was done :) He treated the project as one of his own and gave his absolute best. He tried the parts again and again until he got the best take. He wanted to get his best performance yet and repeatedly made sure we were happy with the results, constantly consulting us along the way. Even after the recording was done and we went down to the coast of Mediterranean to relax, I can tell you he drank much less then I did. The Warrel I knew has faced his demons and was trying to turn his life around. He changed his habits, his diet, he wanted to be well. He was well. He was fun, always made me laugh. Just 2 weeks ago, Alexi Laiho asked me how Warrel was doing. And I told him he is great, he faced his demons and he is much better now.

Perhaps one of the times, I saw him the happiest is when we were getting a massage. He was so happy that he could relax for once. Warrel was generally tired. Tired of trying to be himself, trying to achieve his dreams and fighting against this world that wouldn't let him be, a world that did not believe in him. I got the news early in the morning, through a friend. He said 'Dude Warrel Dane is dead' and honestly I though it was another one of those jokes that referenced how exhausted he looked. It was not... His pain was hidden deep inside his melancholic voice. A voice sooo full of emotion. If you listen closely and look deep into his voice, you can hear his life story.

He was a caring friend. As we went through though times in Turkey, he checked in at every step of the way to make sure I was ok and offered his support to best of his extend., while many people I called my brothers/sisters for many years didn't send a single text.

As many of us, he had his dreams. And his was to make music. He did it really really well. As I have mentioned before, another of his dreams was to get well and make peace with the people he hurt. A part of this dream, deep down inside, was to get home. And for him home was Nevermore. To all his fans out there who yearned for this for years, I want you to know that he heard you loud and clear and he wanted to make this happen more then anything. "Remember the wounds so deep, take time to heal". I want you to know that he did almost heal all these burdens. For his fans, he was ready to "sell his heart for stones". I want to include a little confession here. I kept this secret for a long time but I doubt it can do him any harm. I want you to know that he indeed came really close to a Nevermore reunion, he had everyone on board and the only obstacle on the way was Angela Gossow. She knew that a Nevermore reunion meant Arch Enemy being left in the shadows and could possibly lead to them losing Jeff. Thus she specifically put this in Jeff's contract and kept it from happening. I want the entire world to know that it was Angela who prevented this and I want everybody to hear my promise that I will see to that, that Angela faces the consequences of her greed for that is what did not grant this man his final dream.

I failed him as well. I promised him a tour. The one we had to cancel after the events in Turkey, and I couldn't keep my promise. I hope you forgive me man.

Warrel's favorite drink was something he called 'Dead Nazi', it is a mixture of vodka and Jager. If you are reading this, please pour yourself one and shot it in the honor of this great man.

Warrel left me more then great memories, he left more then voices with nothing to say. He left me 4 brothers, Johnny Moraes, Marcus Dotta, Fabio Carito, Thiago Oliveira. I believe that these four amazingly talented musicians will make his legacy live on, through their music. I would like to ask everyone to provide any and all support that these gentlemen might need. They were his band mates, his brothers, "his children, his army".

Rest in peace brother. You are an Undead king now, a God that will rule eternally. You went "through the mouth of madness" and I hope you found your "perfect view". Keep my throne safe for, one day "I will be on my way, to live eternally".

"May you never be broken again".

May the Shadows be your armor on the other side

In Metal, we are strong. We face our fears early on, become our demons, strip ourselves of all emotions and merge with the shadows that form us. In Metal, we stand together and we stand tall. However today, we listen deep into Warrel's voice and we shed a tear. Today we step out of the shadows and deliver our brother into the light. Today, we cry.

Nevermore to feel the pain. The heart collector sang his final song....

I hope to read more tributes to Warrel like this.

On a side note, the reunion issue was not a secret. And it's in extremely poor taste to say Angela needs to pay the consequences. It was clear Warrel was going around and attempting to get water flowing under the many burned bridges over the years based on some postings around these parts.

It's way too soon for people to be sharing certain details.

why do you insist on making me cry? Listening to Nevermore is becoming harder each day, as I collapse while I hear his voice.
I'm reconsidering going into arch enemy's concert in january, I might go just to see Jeff, not to hear their shitty new album.

If its true Angela (or most likely AE's label) contractually prevented Jeff from a Nevermore reunion... what a rotten bitch. Arch Enemy sucks anyway. If you like that kind of music, fine, but what a waste of Jeff's talent.