A Winter's Dream=Awesome!

sknight

Are You Morbid?
I just got The Damnation Game yesterday and I was blown away by A Winter's Dream parts 1&2. I played it for my friends and they were blown away, too. It's not their heaviest or their most technical, but it's so solid, filled with great melodies and an amazing performance by Russell.

Can't believe he just joined the band right before this album.

I would love SX to add some songs to their albums in this vein. It's just awesome and maybe even one of their best songs.

mmm, candlelight fantasia and whispers, along with Winter's Dream are the best "non-heavy" songs from SX. I would love if they do more like those.

Where from NY are you from sknight?

"A Winter's Dream" (i consider both parts to comprise one song) is one of their greatest triumphs... the melodies are sublime and the atmosphere really evokes the feeling of winter dreaming.

"Damnation Game" has always been my favorite record by them. And "A Winter's Dream(I also consider both parts to equal one song) and "The Edge Of Forever" have constantly vacillated as being my #1 song by them. Both songs are a tremendous mainstay for me and as a matter of fact I think I'll play them both now.:)

Russ's vocals are smoother than most anything he's done since. He hits some really high notes and sounds very unlike himself on it.

This is definitely a style SX should exploit more because this is a classic. Not too much shread and filler and the song has an upbeat "excitement" or adventure-like tempo to it and it definitely is something that can be appreciated by even non-metal fans. They put in just a wee bit of flash in all the instruments to let you know these are the same guys.

Has anyone seen this song (1&2) live? I really hope to hear this song on their next live album/DVD.

ProgMetalFan said:
"A Winter's Dream" (i consider both parts to comprise one song) is one of their greatest triumphs... the melodies are sublime and the atmosphere really evokes the feeling of winter dreaming.

that's what I think of when I'm listening to Winter's Dream Pt. 1. It's got smooth and atmospheric melodies that I really love listening to.

Glad to see so many people in the same boat as me on this song. I figured many SX fans are much like those DT.net fans that automatically need shred and all this crazy shit to enjoy a song. While I like a bit of it, one can't structure a song around it and analyze to the millisecond.

The quality of the writing prevails in this song, showing how good these guys can put things together outside the shreds.

RequiemX said:
I just don't think they've put out a bad song. Ever. I mean, there are ones I listen to less often like KoT, but all SX songs are great. I don't skip a single one while listening.

I have to agree with you, S-X is one of the few bands that I can tolerate every song. Sure there are some songs that I don't listen to as often depending on my mood at that time. There's times where I don't listen to the ST album for a while, but then at other times I'm addicted to it. But overall all their songs rule!

AutumnGust said:
Yes The Damnation Game is great, and I love the young and innocent sounding Russ!

LOL, excellent description!

It's amazing how much his voice has changed...though I do imagine he can still do the softer stuff well, you'd hardly know that the same guy did this album and Atomic Soul (or The Odyssey, for that matter).