Aaarrrghhh!! I think my Firepod just took a shit!!

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
I have a Firepod that I purchased new about 3 years ago. I haven't had any problems with it until about a month or two ago, when I noticed about two instances where it didn't turn on. The sync indicator light would be totally dead. No red or blue, nothing. On those occasions I just powered everything down and wiggled the power plug in the back of the unit a bit, then turned everything back on and everything would be fine.

Today though, that little trick didn't work. I've always been careful with the power supply and all connections to make sure nothing ever got kinked or bent in anyway, but I figured maybe the power supply was dead, so I hooked it up to a tester and it seemed to be working fine. When I have it plugged into the firepod however, the firepod acts as if it's totally dead. No sync indicator, the phantom power buttons won't light up, and plugging an instrument into one of the inputs and listening through the headphones yields nothing. I'm pretty sure it's a power issue, as the Firepod acts like it isn't even plugged in to a power outlet or switched on (and yes, I've even tried switching it on and off, and unplugging and plugging the firewire connectors back in both at the PC and at the firepod), but I'm hoping at least there is an easy or inexpensive fix for this, and it hasn't permanently kicked the bucket. I haven't opened it up to look inside yet, but even if I did I wouldn't really know what to look for. I'm fucking totally dead in the water now!! Argh!! Can't even listen to music on the internets!

I'm totally broke too, so hopefully this doesn't evolve into a "what kind of new interface should I get" thread, but I kind of have a bad feeling that it will..

I'd say see if you can get your hands on another unit and power supply to troubleshoot with. if the other units supply works with your firepod its your power supply, if your unit doesn't work with their supply its unforunately your firepod

Damn, yea I hardly know anyone around here, let alone someone with a studio, let alone someone with a firepod in their studio. I dropped a line to Presonus so hopefully they can help me out. Meanwhile I'm nervously tapping my fingers on my guitar center credit card.. :ill:

I'm working on a project that kind of needs to be done this week, so short of driving off to guitar center and buying a completely new interface, I'm not sure how I'll be able to get things done on time. Oh and then theres the band I'm working on a project for who's waiting to record some guitars.. I'd better call them up.

Check in the unit, there is a fuse that could have blown. You have to open it up, but it might save you a trip. I had one die on me last year, as something it it got cooked. Since it was less than a year old, they fixed it for free. Was a pain, but it's fine now.

Take it into Guitar Center and ask them if you can try out another power supply. Maybe they will be able to help you out in the meantime.

Oooh cool I'll have to check that out. The nearest Guitar Center is like 2 1/2 hours away, so I would kind of have to plan a trip for it.

EDIT: Fuse looks fine. Looks like I may be planning a GC trip..