Aborted-esque 2003 stuff - need your input!

led-ua

dysphoria
Nov 10, 2008
Kiev, Ukraine
www.myspace.com
Ok, dear Sirs, I've nearly finished mixing of 2 songs from friends of mine, but I definitely need fresh ears to check those mixes. The band asked me to achieve a sound of Aborted - Goremageddon (2003), which was tough. I've noticed original Aborted 2003 mixes have got a lot of scooped mids nearly 400 Hz. I like their production a lot, so powerful and tight - don't know if I succeeded in achieving that tone.
Well, here we go:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2071515/Martyr_Mastered.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2071515/Interminable_Mastered.mp3

I'll appreciate any valuable input as I need to finish tracks as soon as possible! Thanks in advance!

I like the drums and the vocals are ok, however the guitars are kinda muddy and unclear.

I'd suggest bringing more of the bass sound into the gap you've made at 400hz, and perhaps narrowing that gap as well as it seems to be sucking too much out leaving a somehow harsh but muddy guitar tone

edit: also, the drums are sounding rather obviously programmed in places. You really need to vary the ride velocities more and probably blend it into the background more.

Ah, thank you very much for critique! I should have mentioned few features of this recording:
1) I wasn't actually the person who programmed drums - I only got drum-tracks made in, I suppose, Addictive Drums. Velocity of all hits was 100, so I made wonders with automation and Drumagog in order to bring some life into drum tracks:D And I wasn't paid for programming drums in Superior which I used to=)
2) Guitars were recorded DI and then reamped through Mesa Recto Recording Preamp with some engl impulses. I also blended Mesa tracks with SoloC and Poulin ampsims, as Mesa didn't provide me with enough gain (what a disappointment!). The band asked me to make a huuuge guitar tone, this is why I used Mesa+ampsims.
3) Bass is Warwick Corvette Std through PODfarm distorted Soldano tone+DI, and it grinds at 4kHz like crazy. I'm not really sure if it has got anything really useful at 400 Hz, it is more 100-200 Hz based actually.
I'll try to narrow gap at 400 Hz in guitar tone, but it still sound VERY cool in Aborted 2003 mix=)