About getting a studio-only guitar cab .....while being broke!

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
:heh: I'm constantly moving my 4x12 cab (5150cab with Xpattern v30 refit) from show to studio......so I wanna get a cab that I can put my v30s (or only 2 or 1) in and put my sheffields back into my 5150 cab for shows, and just leave the other setup in my studio. That or get a v30 loaded cab that's not too high dollar.

I don't want anything that will break the bank (sub-400 would be nice).....maybe should I get a 2x12 cab??:Smug: Like an Avatar 2x12?
Or maybe a ported 2x12 cab simular to those Dr.Z.:err:

What do yall think?:worship:

Honestly, save up and get a quality 4x12 like a Mesa, or even a Marshall if you're really on a budget. Mesa Oversized's can b had for 500-600 all day on eBay and Craigslist and the likes, and will sound a million times better than an Avatar.

I used to have an Avatar 2x12 with V30's - I just replaced it with a Rivera 4x12, and will be replacing that with a Mesa ASAP.

It's not that it's bad... in all honesty - I haven't recorded it yet. It's only got 2 V30's in it right now, the other two arrive sometime early next week.

I'll post some clips then, and do some heavy evaluating on whether or not I'll keep it. Their supposed to be really solid cabinets, but they're of Marshall design, and I tend to pefer the sound of Boogie cabinets mic'd up - more ballsy, more thunder to em, and less of a 10/12Khz fizz thing going on.

ApolloSpeed said:
hmmm....Rivera not sounding good?? I thought they we not bad!

I am recording a Rivera Cab right currently, i like it. Combine that sound with a Marshall and you got it. A full tone, bassy with good top end. But to little "dirt" and "mids" and "rockfactor". Thats what the marshall is for.

The fat Mesa is very great as well, translates VERY precise. You can get the most clean and defined result with it (you realy need that when using a muddy rectifier, haha ;-). But again, you have to combine it with a Marshall.

I am talking about studio, not live.

brandy

The difference between standard and oversized cabs would be... bass response? Cabs as big as the oversize sound like they'd be a bit overkill for Bb tuning.

Jeff

The ORIGINAL South Of Heaven said:
I just bought a Mesa 4x12 with V30's in perfect condition for $380:headbang:

Damn, good deal. Never seen one go that low before.

Jbroll said:
The difference between standard and oversized cabs would be... bass response? Cabs as big as the oversize sound like they'd be a bit overkill for Bb tuning.

Jeff

The oversized gets a little deeper. There's not much down there you need for a thick guitar tone though, and if you're using a TS, its going to cut a lot of that out anyways. They're a little hollow and harsh in the upper mids compared to the standard. Still better than 80% of other cabs out there mind you.

The standard cabs have plenty of low end and a much fuller low-mid and midrange. My favorite cab by far.

Mesa Standard = Oversized
Mesa Traditional = "Standard Sized"
or am I wrong .. so its a bit confusing what you wrote...

I built my own 1x12 for $100.

I just put a Texas Heat in a speaker box for a car. Lol..Looks strange but works great.

put this:

http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/e3/bd/cb_1.JPG

lol..Its a fucking mangy ass'd car speaker box.

With this:

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/9a/65/04_1_b.JPG

And got this:

http://www.web-design100.net/thefyn/test 2.mp3

It aint broken in yet and it was recorded at bedroom levels. Feel the HONK!

Opinions?

I will be breaking it in soon at the studio. can't do it now because I am in an apartment.

Mental note: do not get drunk and say fuck it..And break it in at 2 am.

my framus dragon cab sucked.
you know why? i opened it out of curiosity
and those speakers were no v30s :ill:

thefyn said:
I built my own 1x12 for $100.

I just put a Texas Heat in a speaker box for a car. Lol..Looks strange but works great.

put this:

http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/e3/bd/cb_1.JPG

lol..Its a fucking mangy ass'd car speaker box.

With this:

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/9a/65/04_1_b.JPG

And got this:

http://www.web-design100.net/thefyn/test 2.mp3

It aint broken in yet and it was recorded at bedroom levels. Feel the HONK!

Opinions?

I will be breaking it in soon at the studio. can't do it now because I am in an apartment.

Mental note: do not get drunk and say fuck it..And break it in at 2 am.

lol yeah I feel the honk, and not much else. although it sounds alright in the palm muted gallops section.

I built my own 2x10 and 2x12 from woodstock and MDF. both sound ok but kind of lack that low frequency resonance chunk chunk like a marshall 1960 will give you. building cabs is damn fun though. my 2x12 has a celestion something or another g12-60m or something, I forget. plus an eminence The Governor. The Governor sounds like a vintage thirty with less warmth and body, but also with less nasty 5khz fizz. the other one sounds kind of like a greenback.

the 2x10 I made sounds raunchy and rough, but cool. using 2 eminence copperheads (like $40 speakers or something). the wood was like $30. so you could build a 2x10 for $120 or so. a 2x12 for $200..including eminence speakers. v30's are like $125 each though or something right?

haha. The speaker isnt broken in yet and it was done at low vol. Stupid apartment.

I will be picking up an Avatar 2x12 with v30's so it will be cool to put them to the test.

For low end try porting the cab. Like on a Genz Benz 2x12

thefyn said:
haha. The speaker isnt broken in yet and it was done at low vol. Stupid apartment.

I will be picking up an Avatar 2x12 with v30's so it will be cool to put them to the test.

For low end try porting the cab. Like on a Genz Benz 2x12

speaking of breaking in speakers. I've been considering setting up my rig in a reamping situation so I can loop various guitar riffs through my power amp for a couple hours at a time while I go to a movie or something. think this is a good way to break in a speaker? I can't play all day because my hands are fucked up so I'm looking for a workaround to break in my newer speakers.