about krank amps

futureguitarlegend

tmnj era shredder(get it?
Jul 10, 2007
south florida
i have always thought about getting a krank because of the rythem. i have only tried one and it happened that the crapy sound was the crapy cable an dthe blown splawn speakers. id get krank for rythem but how good of a shredding sound could i get?

I absolutely hate the KranK amps tone. I've listened to all of their sound clips on the site and numerous bands and the tone is just bleeeeh, it's that horrible.

Bands don't get payed to play KranKs, they get paid to stand by them and look cool.

I also refuse to believe that TGE was recorded with KranK amps because the tone on that album is orgasmic. Something tells me that an amp along the lines of the 5150 was used for that godly sound.

The tone on TGE is mainly Boogie Recto with some Krank mixed in in the high mid area. The tone is VERY 5150ish the just used 2 amps to achieve that.

I believe andy said it was 3 rythm tracks each, 2 Recto and 1 Krank and the Krank was really low in the mix

Ya I don't really understand why some people don't like the kranks. Granted, they don't sound so awe-inspiringly incredible when you're playing alone. But when that sucker is recorded, under a mic, it sounds just fricken incredible.

Oh, and Guru, I'm pretty sure TGE had 2 tracks of recto and 2 krank, 4 all together.

I don't recall the 'low in the mix' part, myself. I also know that Sneap's samples of the Krank are great and he uses them very well in the studio.

Jeff

I like them, They aren't perfect but they have good tone if you know what to dial in. To me they are a mix of the mesa dual recto and the 5150.

The reason I like mine is because it tends not to get muddy on the 7th string and in low tunings. It's also pretty quite compared to the Peavy I had which at the time was the main reason for the switch. The tone for shred is pretty good, clear, sharp, and distinct. For sweeps it sounds ungodly to me, for fast alternate picking it's pretty good as well, but for fast legato I have problems with note definition unless I'm tapping on pretty high notes. The rhythm is pretty and good heavy just like you would expect.

I think people bitch a little too much about amps, when it really comes down to it you are more responsible for how you sound then the amp.

If you've seen Steve or Nevermore live since TGE was recorded you would say

'Holy Shit, those Kranks sound fuckin KILLER!'.

Steve used Krank recording The Esseness Project, give that a listen when its released. You'll be impressed.

I think people bitch a little too much about amps, when it really comes down to it you are more responsible for how you sound then the amp.

well said...I, myself have never been able to get the tone I want from a Krank, but I have heard other bands play them and get a great sound...NM, Vehemence, Abigail Williams, to name a few off the top of my head.

Agreed. Hell, I get a better sound out of a solid-state Crate than I could get out of everything else I tried at the shop, if I can pull that off nobody gets to complain.

Jeff