About Opeth's concept albums :).

Opethian666 said:
Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries are concept albums about how much they hate stupid fans that think every album they make is a concept album.
LMFAO.. now it all makes sense!

..You are wise Opethian666! :lol:

biggsy said:
Only joking mate... just a lighthearted stab. I think you're right though... I always think of a concept album being a story, though I know it's any album where all the songs contribute towards a common theme as well.

I know, that's why I didn't go on to winge like a little bitch.

I'm a music and drama student, and the thing about concept broadway shows is that they pretty much have no plot, but all the songs tie together with a theme. That's where my confusion with albums came in. Should it be defined the same way? Also, I'm not sure if you can claim that the theme of death and 'losing someone' is a particular theme of one Opeth album. Pretty much every album has that in it somewhere. In saying htat, you'd have to say that they are a concept band, but them just about every metal band would be concept. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

If I want a concept album I listen to King Diamond. Personally I find all of Opeth's music follows a certain concept, that is enough for me.

well, the hole question of concept albums is always going to be irelevant in comparison to what music is actually on the cd, but, if i were to choose an opeth album which interests me with the concept then BWP would be that album, the cover for starters sets the scene with ghostly figures and the whole 'park' theme, the songs flow in conjunction with the mood created by the lyrics and song titles i.e. 'the leper affinity'- on face value, a song called the leper affinity would suggest a feeling of self loathing and despair,
'bleak'- self explanitory
'the drapery falls'- the truth being reveiled, betrayal, hurt anguish etc
the point im making is that BWP is an easy album to follow as far as concept is concerned and all the above is something people can relate.
but as i said its my opinion on concept albums but its the music that evokes the feeling and atmosphere, not the 'idea' of the album

~random~ said:
I know, that's why I didn't go on to winge like a little bitch.

That's ok then:lol:

~random~ said:
I'm a music and drama student, and the thing about concept broadway shows is that they pretty much have no plot, but all the songs tie together with a theme. That's where my confusion with albums came in. Should it be defined the same way? Also, I'm not sure if you can claim that the theme of death and 'losing someone' is a particular theme of one Opeth album. Pretty much every album has that in it somewhere. In saying htat, you'd have to say that they are a concept band, but them just about every metal band would be concept. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

If every song is about death and losing someone, I think that can be classed as a theme. But I get confused as to how linked each song needs to be, whether it be in theme or story, before it's classed a concept album.

If a band wrote an album that went from: angry song/s connected to a breakup, ballad/s with lyrics that connect to mourning lost love, mellow song/s connected with acceptance, and the songs involve no characters but the writer, would that qualify as a concept album? I don't think that's a very good example but I think you could see what I'm trying to get at. Just how closely linked do the songs have to be before it's a concept album?

Okay clarify this for me, does a concept album include a moral, a story or theme, or both? I'm kinda confused.

well, somebody (I believe Mr.Samsara, not sure) said something about them and it got me so curious that I won't rest until I see one :lol: