About the Lyrics

criesfrommypast

New Metal Member
Aug 16, 2008
Shall we discuss album lyrics here? Firstly I'd like to say I love the lyrics for Out of the Silence and I also enjoy The Voice of Treason. Although I am left scratching my head trying to discover the meaning behind the song Programmed Cell Death, Im thinking it has something to do with nanomachines that have the ability to break down a human mind on the cellular level. Also the song Imminent Particle Collision reminds a whole lot of the game Half Life. I dont know, let me know what everyone elses interpretations are.

Also the song Imminent Particle Collision reminds a whole lot of the game Half Life. I dont know, let me know what everyone elses interpretations are.

Close . . . but not quite. All I will say is that I hope you turn out to be wrong, because if you are right we better start looking for Gordon Freeman . . .

Out of the Silence is based on an incredible scifi novel from about 1925 written by a Melbourne journalist.

The Voice of Treason is about political refugees and the fact that the final border which stands in their way when they seek refuge is not political borders or geography but rather our reluctance as a society to help our fellow man.

Programmed Cell Death is a song about cancer from the cancer's perspective.

And yes, IPC is about the Large Hadron Collider under the French-Swiss border which they are about to turn on - here's hoping the Earth doesn't get sucked into a man-made black hole :lol:

And yes, IPC is about the Large Hadron Collider under the French-Swiss border which they are about to turn on - here's hoping the Earth doesn't get sucked into a man-made black hole :lol:

Wow that scares me beyond belief :( Hopefully these people know what they are doing.

Well, honestly, though, I am not worried, as many of the prophecies in The Revelation haven't unfurled. But it is definitely worth watching! :)

When the CDs are out, we will try to get shirts together :)

For more lyric explanations:

Rising Hatred: this song is about domestic violence, the unspoken assault, and the way violence can beget violence: "She'll take her time, one of them will die."

Scourge of Democracy: this song explores our assumption that democracy is the greatest political good and how I have misgivings about how the West wanders about imposing democracy on everyone. Trouble is, at the same time the West will use the popular media to effectively convince (ie. coerce) the public into voting for them and once they have the 'mandate' feel they can do just about anything which vaguely resembles what they promised. This means they have no actual respect for democracy as they try to 'trick' people into voting for them, while at the same time telling other cultures that any alternative political mechanism is an insult to the rights of their people.

Punishment: Based on the Russian classic novel "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoyevsky, this song explores the moral superiority the main character feels at the beginning, the justification he holds for killing a money lender so he can use the money for the pursuit of his much more worthwhile Napoleonic objectives, and his subsequent decline into realising just how base he is, and that his only moral atonement for his crime is to stop running and accept his punishment.

Fractured Cortex: This is a song about mental illness and, particularly in relation to chronic anxiety, the way the mind obsesses over regrets, and how the mind can play games with itself in a self-sustaining cycle of guilt and fear.

Beneath Contempt: A song about self-loathing associated with people who publicly claim to be good - such as political or religious leaders and pastors - but are really in private just as vile as everyone else - and perhaps more so because of the veneer of goodness they project as a kind of promise to the people who look to them for leadership. After all "it's what you are (that matters), not what others see."

Buried Alive: This song is about the black plague which variously ravaged Europe over hundreds of years and killed about 50% of the population of Europe at one point. The poor often buried their dead in pits, those who could afford it did use coffins, and some were buried in haste - buried alive - if they slipped into a coma in order to try to contain the spread of the plague. Of course, when noises were heard from the buried coffins, and some coffins were later found to have scratches on the inside, it was this which fed widespread superstitions about the 'undead'.

Covered in Pain: A song about dictators who abuse their power to suppress opposition, kill their people while the world watches and waits for them to either leave, be overthrown or die. They are stained by the suffering of their people. All the while they act as if everything is fine and laugh as the world debates how to handle them. We saw it with Saddam Hussein in Iraq, and we see it similarly with the actions this year of Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe. Ultimately, Saddam Hussein was hanged, so that's how the song ends too.

Programmed Cell Death: This is a song about living with cancer, told from the cancer's perspective. It's an insidious disease and the thing that's always fascinated me is the fact that you spend your life being careful, protecting your property and yourself from harm etc, but then one day for almost no reason at all, your own body decides to start killing you. Your own body lets you down. And that's not the worst of it - the worst thing is that no matter who you are and no matter where you go, it remains with you. Failing effective treatment (which is always a medical case of 'beating the odds') you can't get away from it.

Imminent Particle Collision: A song about the Large Hadron Collider, a massive particle collider they have built under the French-Swiss border to explore the very nature of matter. They will basically be smashing protons into each other at high energy to release and 'hopefully' observe sub-atomic particles such as the Higgs Boson. They will start smashing protons in the next month or so (late 2008). If they don't see this 'theoretical' particle, it could mean that the Standard Model of particle physics is completely wrong, and they would have to go back to the drawing board in our understanding of the nature of matter. Of course, there's a chance they will also create mini black holes in the process but the overriding 'assumption' is that they will be quite unstable and disappear almost instantly. Well, I'm glad they're 'sure' about that, because we wouldn't want the Earth to be sucked into a man-made black hole (singularity) just because of the arrogant self-assuredness of modern science.

The Voice of Treason: This song is about political refugees and the fact that the final border which stands in their way when they seek refuge is not political borders or geography but rather our reluctance as a society to help our fellow man. It drives me mad that we have such a protectionist view of our own nations. I understand the need for borders for the purpose of governance, security, culture and economic benefit. But why close borders when someone will die if you don't let them in? A human life is worth more than our own protectionist ideals as a society.

Out of the Silence: This song is based on an incredible scifi novel from about 1925 written by a Melbourne journalist. It deals with a man discovering a buried sphere on his property. After he gets past the security mechanisms, he discovers a woman inside the sphere in suspended animation, along with a library containing the combined knowledge of a previous human society which existed millions of years before. The woman has incredible powers and knowledge and has plans to rule the world along with 2 others in similar spheres buried in other parts of the world, to lead mankind into a new beneficent age. The main character is enchanted by her, and this woman from the past is ultimately murdered by the jealous rage of the man's fiancee. In the end, he carries her body back to the sphere and destroys it along with himself.

When the CDs are out, we will try to get shirts together :)

Buried Alive: This song is about the black plague which variously ravaged Europe over hundreds of years and killed about 50% of the population of Europe at one point. The poor often buried their dead in pits, those who could afford it did use coffins, and some were buried in haste - buried alive - if they slipped into a coma in order to try to contain the spread of the plague. Of course, when noises were heard from the buried coffins, and some coffins were later found to have scratches on the inside, it was this which fed widespread superstitions about the 'undead'.

hahaha just read this poeple hear scratching on the inside and asume there living dead not that they've buried some1 alive what a logical conclusionlove it.... ERRRRVENOM(COUGH) haha :p

Ah, all fixed already. I'm glad...I'm excited about what we could find from that thing, should be cool. The lyrics to Imminent Particle Collision are funny in a great way.