About to make "The move"

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
hello hello!

due to the change of the sub-forum names im not sure where to post anymore, so off-topic is always the safest way to go.

After quite a few years of fighting for the cause in my bedroom, iv'e just received the keys for my new studio!!!!! :Smokin: :Smokin: :Smokin:
the place is awesome! it's 36qm divided into 12qm and 24qm and it's just waiting for me and my brother to sink our teeth into it and turn it into a fire-breathing-producing monster! (and also make some music). :devil:

next week we should start painting the place, making the studio window, dealing with acoustic treatment etc...

iv'e made a quick sketchUp of the place so you would get the idea
Awesome sketchUp
if any of you have any old sketchups of your studio that i can draw ideas from, any advice or any tips i would be more than happy to hear/see it!

thanks for any reply in advance! im uber stoked about this!!!! :hotjump:

Man, you need mirror walls at the Control Room. Also, that size is too small for it (CR).
I would decrease the live room size and increase the control room size.
Also, you need to get out of that box shape on both rooms.
Post your design at the John Sayers forum and they will give you pro advice.
Cheers!

^ went through some of your threads to check who's behind the post. no offence but i don't think you have the right to make such statements, anyway keep in mind mixing in a bedroom through 5"KRK's and no treatment is why i'm moving in the first place. and i'm going to live there and the rent is cheaper than the one i'm paying atm so it actually saves me some money. that's it, no shitstorm required.

i know some of the things that are acoustically more "correct" for this room. mainly breaking the standing waves that occur but that will cost money we don't currently have and in any case we can only adjust 2 walls in the studio (drums, opposite to windows) and only 1 in the CR anyway since we have to deal with the way the room is built which is obviously beyond our control.
you might suggest looking for a different room, or waiting until we find something that fits our acoustic needs better, but most chances anything we'll find will have some flaws, that's life and if we keep looking for problems instead of solutions we're never gonna get anything done.

so for now we'll build some DIY absorbers anywhere we can (the sketchUp doesn't show, but the heating has pipes that goes up the wall preventing acoustical treatment), and if it's not good enough when we're done we'll have to think about further treatment.

obviously i'm going to keep you posted once we start building, which will hopefully happen next tuesday!

haha, where did that come from? and how the hell do you think you can judge me? i was just saying that i didn't expect you to do that move, since you're nowhere near of making a living out of AE'ing, and I assumed this project will cost some serious money.

Just to clarify that: I really mean it when I wish you all the best for your endeavors, I even respect your move since it requires a lot of courage to do that (again: since I assumed it implies investing a lot of money). BUT i didn't expected you to be one of the guys to pull it off.

And - no need to be butthurt.

of course it will cost some money, but i'm not worried about it too much since i'm going to live there and it will cut down my rent anyway, so worst case scenario i don't make a living off it i still need to live somewhere anyway, right?
second, being a bedroom warrior is nice and all, but that's a limit to how seriously people will take you when there's a freakin' mattress in your "studio"...
third, it has always been my dream to live in a studio. i'm sure in this forum there's a few people who can relate to that.
fourth, we're not gonna start off with an SSL and costume build amps and guitars... i'm still going to keep my bar job for now and use the money to make the place super-freakin'-awesome over time. it's not going to happen over night...

btw i still have no idea about what mixing console i'm going to use, so if anyone has some good advice about one that provides a good value-for-money and is less than 2000€ used, i'd love to hear it!