troubles picking a studio to record at....

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
hey guys!

so iv'e pretty much finished the pre-production of my album and i'm planning to start tracking the album in this studio:

http://www.myspace.com/blackhorizonsstudio

which is supposed to be the best metal-oriented studio in israel.
trouble is, it's pretty new and iv'e yet to come across a production which that really blew me away, so i'm sceptical....
they charge about 170$ a day and the tracking process SHOULD take about 10 days....

but money is less of a problem here... what troubles me is that i want the product to be AMAZING and thier production doesn't so THAT good...
so i'm looking for an alternative in europe and i'm having trouble picking a studio...
tracking supposed to start around may/april and it's only me so i need a session drummer to track drums.

any suggustions?

yeah this place has got awesome gear but am i the only one who thinks the tracks on their myspace sounds really bad?

anyway tracking there and mixing abroad seems like a good idea but i want to get the opinions and ideas of an experienced and objective producer,
so he will effect the whole album MUSICALLY and not just for getting a heavier guitar tone...
after all, working alone is a very subjective way to work, and i'm not considering myself any type of genious....

and money is an issue to some extent, you know.... otherwise i'd get ANDY to do it hehehe....
but it doesn't really matter if it's 170$ per day or, say, 200$

again any ideas?

Track drums there, hire a guy here to do drum edits. I can do it but im not cheap. Jeff is great and quite cheap, if i remember correctly.
Then record bass and guitar with DI. Record vox in that studio if you don't have that good gear at home. Then contact me and i'll mix it for you :D
Check out my site for samples: www.studiohaga.net

yeah this place has got awesome gear but am i the only one who thinks the tracks on their myspace sounds really bad?

If you're seriously considering recording there, ask for some higher quality samples. MySpace RAPES the quality, so it's fairly pointless judging mixes on there. Bad mixes sound better, good mixes sound worse, and everything sounds like shit.

Otherwise I'd do what Crilleman suggests. However, if you don't have a DI box, or they have better guitars, or whatever, maybe just do everything @ the studio. Doing it outside of the studio saves money but not time, it usually takes WAY longer.

Then for editing, mixing, mastering, there are tons of guys here who'd be interested, I'm sure. Just don't do one of those "mix this for free and if I like it I'll pick you but I'll probably just disappear after 3 posts" which are all too common on this forum. Check out people's MySpace's or websites, find someone you like the style of, and I'm sure whoever you choose will work with you to find a mix that suits your needs.