Abyss Studios

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Screw searching for the Hypocrisy thread. Somebody must have farted near the UM server today.

OK two things:

1 - What is the "Abyss Sound" to you? People refer to it because it has a distinct production value -- but what is it exactly? Based on the two Hypocrisy albums I listened to today, is it all to do with the high end and lacking low end? Or could it be my rental Ford Focus CD player? :loco:

2 - So far, I'm liking The Final Chapter more than Abducted, but I do like both. The production on TFC seems fuller as well. (Btw, not sure how the packaging for Abducted passed an inspections test...geez, it's like a bad photocopy).

Which is the next one to get, and which is the one to avoid?

I really like the rawness of Into the Abyss personally. Its a fun slayer inspired death metal album that doesnt take itself too seriously.

TFC is my favorite, always has been. THe next one to get is the self-titled or The Fourth Dimension. Everything else is OK to shit. The Arrival and Into the Abyss are OK, as is Penetralia and maybe Osculum Obscenum. Dodge Catch 22 lest you hear it and then shoot yourself in the face.

I'm not a big production guy, so I don't know.

Think transistor amps and a shimmering, slightly sterile, tone. That's what I think when I think Abyss Studios, although a few albums from there sound pretty amazing. Okay here we go, you know that part in the Matrix where Neo swallows the red (blue?) pill and his voice digitizes into oblivion? That's what an Abyss album sounds like to me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

You need the self-titled, and possibly the Arrival because that is the one that sounds most like TFC. The Abyss is fun brutal death, but doesn't really sound like Hypocrisy. The 4th Dimension is great to see them evolve, and a damn good album too. Very spacious, you'll understand if/when you hear it. Penetralia is excellent old skool Swedish death metal. Avoid Catch 22 and Osculum Obscenum, although each has a few pretty kickass songs.

Yeah the S/t has some of their best songs I have to agree, and the best production. I still like the speed, anger, and simplicity of Into the Abyss.

Im not a big fan of The FInal Chapter or THe Arrival.

Anyone listen to his band THE ABYSS, sort of raw black metal? I never did like them. Tagtgren plays drums on The Abyss I believe. And then we have his industrial metal band PAIN as well.

Yeah I have the double re-issue thingy of both Abyss albums, I rarely listen to it. I do like Pain a lot though, it's fun techno/pop/rock.