AC/DC... Metal or not in your opinion?

I agree the AC/DC is good ol' HARD ROCK, however; Sabbath to me will always be acid rock - a term used by some in the 'old' days to catagorize bands like Blue Cheer and Atomic Rooster. While I was listening to Priest in the mid 70's, I never could really catagorize them. Still, a lot of what is considered by many to be heavy metal still sounds like good ol' hard rock to me.
Very interesting question though.
PMR

Acid rock? Now there's an outdated term! Haven't heard it much over the years and when it has been mentioned, it seems to be pointed to bands like Pink Floyd. I always thought of acid rock as music that you have to take a hit of acid to really appreciate. Pink Floyd fits perfectly...not that I did anything of the sort in my youth. :D

Sabbath are too "Heavy" and Gloomy to be catergorized at Acid rock... bands like Jefferson airplane, The Dead, Floyd, even the Doors are usually in that category... plus Sabbath are generally considered the first true Metal band...

Sabbath are too "Heavy" and Gloomy to be catergorized at Acid rock... bands like Jefferson airplane, The Dead, Floyd, even the Doors are usually in that category... plus Sabbath are generally considered the first true Metal band...

You could be right, I had been told at that time it was acid rock because it was very hard and gloomy. My understanding was bands like Jefferson Airplane, Iron Butterfly, Vanilla Fudge, Crazy World Of Arthur Brown were considered more psychadelic. Some consider Blue Cheer or King Crimson to be the first metal band. Personally, I consider Iron Maiden to be the first although Priest preceeded them by several years.
PMR

Before I got into metal (1984), I hated it all and referred to it as "acid rock". :lol:

Anyway, not that this makes a damn bit of difference, but I organize my ridiculously large CD collection by genre, and here's how some of the bands in question break down there:

METAL:
AC/DC
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Aerosmith
Alice Cooper
Kiss
Judas Priest
Motorhead
Rainbow
Rush
Scorpions
Van Halen
Whitesnake

CLASSIC ROCK:
Black Oak Arkansas
Blue Oyster Cult
Thin Lizzy
Led Zeppelin
Blue Cheer
Cream
Jimi Hendrix
King Crimson
Trapeze
UFO

Still pretty arbitrary, but that's what seems right to me....

Actually, as old a question as this is, I find this a pretty interesting debate. I definately used to think of AC/DC as metal....but I guess I tend towards hard rock more these days, not for any terribly specific reason. If nothing else, I've pretty much gotten into the mode where I let the band themselves decide, and then just go with whatever they think. I'm pretty sure nobody in AC/DC uses the term metal, so that's good enough for me.

Anyway, for a good long while it was extremely uncool to consider yourself a metal band....and now it's kind of envougue again. I read multiple interviews with Steve Harris in the 90's where he said, "I don't know that I think of us as a metal band...." but I don't think he was altogether avoiding that name, only that when they started metal was still not terribly well defined. That is, what fit into what category was still a bit vague, and most of Steve's influences are decidedly not-metal. These days though, he seems pretty comfortable with it. So.....fine. I have to admit though, that I tend to have a tad more respect for bands that call themselves metal, have always called themselves metal, and don't find that a "bad" thing, ala King Diamond or somebody else like that from "the old days."

I think the key here is that metal has always been thought of as a non-art form, and as everyone in here is sure to agree, it most definately is an art form.

Even Toni Iommi and Geezer Butler are quick to say...."We are just a heavy "rock" band..." but one must remember that when the term heavy metal began to be thrown around, it was usually by journalists who were trying to put a band down in a review in the early days. So, you can easily see why guys like Iommi and Bulter never warmed to that name. Seriously. I read a pretty good interview with Geezer Butler about this some time back, and the above is almost exactly what he said. The first generation of metal bands were suffering terrible press and putdowns, and at first "heavy metal," was not a compliment by those who used the term.

How can the tunes "For Those About to Rock", "Flick of the Switch", "Let there Be Rock", "Hells Bells", etc etc be anything but metal?

AC/DC is one of my favorite bands of all time and I have every single one of their albums except two of them.

But they're not metal. They're nothing about them that is metal except that they are heavy. They bring the heavy, but they have absolutely no "metal" elements hardly ever. I can pick a couple portions of a few songs that might be sort of metal, but that's pushing it.

The band has never claimed to be metal. They've always claimed to be hard rock. They are hard rock. They're no more metal than Ted Nugent. No more metal than Foghat, really. They're not metal. Never have been. And I wouldn't change one thing about how or what they play, well except for the fact that Brian's voice is going out.

I tend to have a tad more respect for bands that call themselves metal, have always called themselves metal, and don't find that a "bad" thing, ala King Diamond or somebody else like that from "the old days." .
Yes, especially those who are undeniably metal.

The first generation of metal bands were suffering terrible press and putdowns, and at first "heavy metal," was not a compliment by those who used the term.
This is a very valid point to be remembered.

Where do I stand on AC/DC, well I've mentioned this in UMOS before...

When I was a young teenager I had everything they did up till Blow Up Video. As I got more into metal it became apparent that AC/DC, while heavy has hell was just rocking and not metal at all. By 1990, I no longer had any AC/DC in my possession.

I have made the comparison to ACCEPT before, now they have a somewhat similar sound but are heavy metal - Accept did start off more rock but headed down the Metal path without much debate. AC/DC are rocking that for sure but its all in the beats and they are rock beats all the way.

I'm actually desiring to hear/own AC/DC once more but Im not prepared to shell out my cash all over again to regain those seminal years - and thats exactly what AC/DC was, a very inflential, heavy as hells bells rock band.:kickass:

I'd like to think of them as Heavy Metal, just because people that doesn't understand Heavy Metal or Hard Rock or whatever, condamned them along with Judast Priest, Iron Maiden etc etc.
Back when I was in school, having AC/DC painted on your school bag was just as much frowned upon as Saxon or Judast Priest, it's all Heavy Metal and therefore wrong in a weird sence.
I think their style and heavy riffs deserves them a place amongst all the evil doers.
Defenatly Metal.

Reactions: Wyvern
I'd like to think of them as Heavy Metal, just because people that doesn't understand Heavy Metal or Hard Rock or whatever, condamned them along with Judast Priest, Iron Maiden etc etc.
Back when I was in school, having AC/DC painted on your school bag was just as much frowned upon as Saxon or Judast Priest, it's all Heavy Metal and therefore wrong in a weird sence.
I think their style and heavy riffs deserves them a place amongst all the evil doers.
Defenatly Metal.

I concur... I remember wearing a AC/DC patch on back of your denim jacket back then was frowned upon because they were considered metal by all... I never heard anyone back then refer them to Hard Rock only if at all and I grew up then... and people have to remember that in the 70's Metal was in it's infancy... other then Sabbath what other bands were there? If everyone considers AC/DC, Purple etc. not metal then the only metal band of the early to mid or late 70's to be Sabbath and only Sabbath? ... People who didn't grow up in the 70's do not realize that AC/DC with it's heaviness were Heavy Metal for it's time... nothing else in that era was as Heavy in my opinion other then Sabbath.... rock influences or not... Afterall you can argue that Metal itself evolved from rock music as well... but as Metal got more "heavier" and more "metalized" you can say, people started to forget where it originated from to begin with... the younger generation if they had their way probably would say metal came about with the NWOBHM or even in 1983 with the debut of Metallica (dread the thought) which we all know is not true....

I always thought, and I stand by my opinion today that AC/DC are rock'n'roll. Not hard rock or metal. But then I also think that Motorhead are rock'n'roll (best there is btw ;) ), and a lot of people tend to disagree :) So this is just imo ))

Wyvern
Oh lol well, I dont read too many interviews... Feel stupid now :D But hey, most of my mates keep on telling me that Motorhead are not rock'n'roll coz they are heavy and got a "dirty" guitar sound.. pfft.. well I'm glad I turned out to be right :D

Wyvern
Oh lol well, I dont read too many interviews... Feel stupid now :D

Don't be. This thread's issue is older than Internet forums :saint: , besides it's about participation and the right to a opinion...even a wrong one :p :lol:

BTW welcome to the insaniquarium, keep on posting.