AC/DC... Metal or not in your opinion?

I have made the comparison to ACCEPT before, now they have a somewhat similar sound but are heavy metal - Accept did start off more rock but headed down the Metal path without much debate.

Someone once described Accept as a mixture of Judas Priest and ACDC - I couldn't agree more! I'd only add that they've managed to make their own distinct style while drawing obvious influences from the two bands.

I concur... I remember wearing a AC/DC patch on back of your denim jacket back then was frowned upon because they were considered metal by all... I never heard anyone back then refer them to Hard Rock only if at all and I grew up then... and people have to remember that in the 70's Metal was in it's infancy... other then Sabbath what other bands were there? If everyone considers AC/DC, Purple etc. not metal then the only metal band of the early to mid or late 70's to be Sabbath and only Sabbath? ... People who didn't grow up in the 70's do not realize that AC/DC with it's heaviness were Heavy Metal for it's time... nothing else in that era was as Heavy in my opinion other then Sabbath.... rock influences or not... Afterall you can argue that Metal itself evolved from rock music as well... but as Metal got more "heavier" and more "metalized" you can say, people started to forget where it originated from to begin with... the younger generation if they had their way probably would say metal came about with the NWOBHM or even in 1983 with the debut of Metallica (dread the thought) which we all know is not true....

Towards the mid-late 70s you had Judas Priest, Motorhead, Accept, and the Scorpions.

I always considered AC/DC to be a hard rock band with a "metal" attitude & garnish. I also agree that the Bon Scott years were far better than the Brian Johnson years. I don't even listen to much after "For Those About to Rock".

J-Dubya

I concur... I remember wearing a AC/DC patch on back of your denim jacket back then was frowned upon because they were considered metal by all... I never heard anyone back then refer them to Hard Rock only if at all and I grew up then... and people have to remember that in the 70's Metal was in it's infancy... other then Sabbath what other bands were there? If everyone considers AC/DC, Purple etc. not metal then the only metal band of the early to mid or late 70's to be Sabbath and only Sabbath? ... People who didn't grow up in the 70's do not realize that AC/DC with it's heaviness were Heavy Metal for it's time... nothing else in that era was as Heavy in my opinion other then Sabbath.... rock influences or not... Afterall you can argue that Metal itself evolved from rock music as well... but as Metal got more "heavier" and more "metalized" you can say, people started to forget where it originated from to begin with... the younger generation if they had their way probably would say metal came about with the NWOBHM or even in 1983 with the debut of Metallica (dread the thought) which we all know is not true....
Yeah, I hear what you are saying. Outsiders did consider them to be metal and if they saw a patch or a logo or whatever displayed on your person, they added two and two and figured you were a metalhead. BUT outsiders think Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, Korn etc is metal or that Cradle of Filth and Slipknot are gothic but it doesnt make them right.

I don't think anyone knew what Motorhead was back in the late 70's. I first heard 'Ace Of Spades' on a punk rock compilation LP. Wish I still had that thing.

I don't think anyone knew what Motorhead was back in the late 70's. I first heard 'Ace Of Spades' on a punk rock compilation LP. Wish I still had that thing.

And I bought "Live At Birmingham '77" on a specialized punk store and we all know Motorhead had an influence on punk or viceversa, but the point is that the most rock they played was the debut "On Parole" and for some reason it didn't saw the light of day until three years later or so.
Lemmy never liked the sound and revamped the band and the album for the self-titled one which definitively have a metal flavor quickly developed through "Overkill" :worship: , "Bomber" and "Ace Of Spades" which in 1980 marked IMO a turnover in their sound that hadn't changed up to this day (maybe got more metallic :D).

Even so I do believe they were a recognized name at least in England by the end of the 70's.

But don't take me at face value read this:

http://bnrmetal.com/groups/moto.htm

Of course, Lemmy still denies he plays heavy metal :D, but he's a humble god ;)

Bluesy heavy rock sounds good to me :kickass:

And how about... Party rock? :D

I always considered the Hair bands as Party Rock and not bands like AC/DC though they sing about drinking and such but in a hard , biker type of way.... Anyways Back in Black is metal to me so no surprise... at the very least Hells Bells is .... :kickass: ... I guess very few will consider them metal simply for the fact that they didn't grow up in that era and would never understand/get it... there is nothing wrong with having "rock" elements as some have said... in Metal... there are Metal bands that no one disputes as being Metal that also have "rock" elements yet no one says they are not metal... And again most young people don't call them Metal because of them growing up in a different era where metal is more extreme or more "metalized" (fast modian based guitar solos among other techniques that came out after EVH and the fast guitar revolution)... just imo...

How do you classify AC/DC? Is there a category called "High voltage kiss ass rock'n'roll"? It's a fine line, as has already been noted, between hard rock and metal. But AC/DC's influence on what later became metal is undeniable.

Any artist that currently plays "metal" and claims that AC/DC has not influenced them is a liar. AC/DC is old enough that perhaps some of the newest acts currently playing metal may truthfully say that they haven't listened to AC/DC enough for it to influence their music...however, the bands that they were influenced by were in turn influenced by AC/DC, and these young kids don't know their history well enough to know where their origins lie.

How can the tunes "For Those About to Rock", "Flick of the Switch", "Let there Be Rock", "Hells Bells", etc etc be anything but metal?

I know many here will disagree with me, but I've always considered bands such as AC/DC, Zep, Purple, Rush, etc., as metal. Not as simply hard rock (which can be defined by a band such as Foreignor, for example).

In my view, one of the heaviest songs ever remains Zep's "Dazed and Confused".
You kinda took the words right out of my mouth. One really can't use today's terminology to describe bands from 20-30 years ago. AC/DC, like Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Rush, etc, are definitely 70's metal. They certainly paved the way for thousands of bands that have come along since that nobody will doubt are metal.

Even though they're hard rock, AC/DC actually claim to be rock n roll.

So have Black Sabbath back in the day that still doesn't make it so... All music including metal can be classified as a form of rock music because all music that is non rock (classical, blues, jazz etc.) pretty much evolved from rock music... it's just a subgenre of rock.. and BM,DM, etc. are all subgenre/subgenre's of metal etc...

all music that is non rock (classical, blues, jazz etc.) pretty much evolved from rock music...

AHHHHHHHHH???? :zombie:

Either I misread or you mistype, jazz evolved from rock? Classical music, blues, jazz, swing were there way before rock begun to roll.

We can say for sure that rock as a generative from rock'n'roll has clear influences from blues, and modern rock and metal also derive heavy influences from classical and jazz, especially in technical and progressive (which is time derives from progressive rock).

AHHHHHHHHH???? :zombie:

Either I misread or you mistype, jazz evolved from rock? Classical music, blues, jazz, swing were there way before rock begun to roll.

We can say for sure that rock as a generative from rock'n'roll has clear influences from blues, and modern rock and metal also derive heavy influences from classical and jazz, especially in technical and progressive (which is time derives from progressive rock).

Yeah I mistyped it but you know what I meant lol I was probably tired that night i posted and playing online poker... I mean't such genres as metal , punk , progressive rock etc.. all evolved from Rock originally.... damn im getting old... I mistyped on a poker forum as well about the winners of the World Series of Poker lol .... :cry: