AC/DC... Metal or not in your opinion?

Haven't influenced me. Other than occasionally hearing them on the radio, I don't listen to them and besides knowing a few of their licks on guitar, their music hasn't influenced my writing.

And THAT probably is the reason why you guys aren't world famous !!!!

(just jokin' :p )

Well wasn't Metallica described as speed metal or powermetal at one time? They certainly aren't either, but time wore on and bands started carving out their own niches, Metallica ain't power metal, and AC/DC probably ain't metal...

And THAT probably is the reason why you guys aren't world famous !!!!

(just jokin' :p )

Ha, I just checked out his band because of your comment, pretty good stuff.:kickass:

Vocals are pretty good, maybe not the best in the world, but unique, better than all the pussy vocals I've been hearing lately, keep on rockin.:kickass:

Well wasn't Metallica described as speed metal or powermetal at one time? They certainly aren't either, but time wore on and bands started carving out their own niches, Metallica ain't power metal, and AC/DC probably ain't metal...

ahh no.. Metallica were never described as either and i grew up in the 80's when they came out... read every Metallica interview or article I could get my hands on in those days... I had read Megadeth as described as speed metal back in the 80's though... but Metallica was always described as thrash in the 80's and just metal in the 90's and beyond... pssst AC/DC is metal....:Smug:

Here is something i have not heard anyone mention before.. why do most if not all Old School members consider the hair bands from the 80's metal when clearly AC/DC is much heavier then most if not all of them imo.... Yesterday I read a interview by Johnny Hedlund of Unleashed in Metal Maniacs.. and he said something interesting:

"....when i started listening to heavy metal-bands like Motorhead and AC/DC- there was no death metal; it wasn't even invented yet. And even then, it didn't matter if you lived in America, Sweden, or Germany, being a metalhead was a fuckin struggle...."

Here's a guy whose a death Metal member and he considers AC/DC old classic Metal... and this guy plays and listens to the most extreme metal on this earth...

Here is something i have not heard anyone mention before.. why do most if not all Old School members consider the hair bands from the 80's metal when clearly AC/DC is much heavier then most if not all of them imo.... Yesterday I read a interview by Johnny Hedlund of Unleashed in Metal Maniacs.. and he said something interesting:

"....when i started listening to heavy metal-bands like Motorhead and AC/DC- there was no death metal; it wasn't even invented yet. And even then, it didn't matter if you lived in America, Sweden, or Germany, being a metalhead was a fuckin struggle...."

Here's a guy whose a death Metal member and he considers AC/DC old classic Metal... and this guy plays and listens to the most extreme metal on this earth...

In the grand scheme of things I don't think it matters if they are metal or hard rock. I think the very early era AC/DC style is why many people consider them rock as opposed to metal. AC/DC started out pretty bleusy, but got heavier as time went on. By the time Mutt got his hands on them (and don't think he didn't pull a lot of their strings) then they were pretty damned metal ala HtH and BiB. However, I think they never embraced the metal nametag, nor did they shun it. They just did/do what they did/do and they are AC/DC.

Bryant

In the grand scheme of things I don't think it matters if they are metal or hard rock. I think the very early era AC/DC style is why many people consider them rock as opposed to metal. AC/DC started out pretty bleusy, but got heavier as time went on. By the time Mutt got his hands on them (and don't think he didn't pull a lot of their strings) then they were pretty damned metal ala HtH and BiB. However, I think they never embraced the metal nametag, nor did they shun it. They just did/do what they did/do and they are AC/DC.

Bryant

I do like that answer best... well said... and i do prefer Mutt Lange over let's say Bob Cock... Mutt fine tuned their sound but still left the Heaviness without compromising the AC/DC style... unlike Bob Cock who turns bands into pop 40 bands... hard rock to me has always been bands like Foreigner, Journey, Rush etc... but i still think of AC/DC as metal and i always will... :kickass:

Here is something i have not heard anyone mention before.. why do most if not all Old School members consider the hair bands from the 80's metal when clearly AC/DC is much heavier then most if not all of them imo....

It's a good point. I usually don't bring it up out of respect to a lot of the members here, but for me there is nothing even remotely "metal" about any of the 80s hair bands. The term "hair metal" has never made sense to me. Just sayin'....

When I was a kid I was the Maiden/Slayer guy on the block....so I always kind of looked sideways when people who I knew that weren't really into music asked me if I liked Poison, or even Dokken. Again, no offense to any here. It's all just a label at the end of the day....

It's just....to be mildly objective about it, the hair craze was more or less the packaged/Major label manipulation of metal. Metal was hot, but it had to be watered down to reeeeeally sell albums. I mean a lot of albums.....