ACCELERATED EVOLUTION...My First Devin Townsend CD

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I remeber asking you fine people about this musician and his works and you were very helpful. I went to www.mp3.com and sampled some of his stuff. I was impressed but wasn't completely sold.

A couple of days ago, I went to my favourite local record store and found in stock a special two-disc CD of ACCELERATED EVOLUTION. And I bought it.

I regret not getting into the music sooner.

This is the sound that I loved when I heard stuff from OCEAN MACHINE. It's so dynamic and emotion-filled. Devin has quite a voice. Despite some songs with his vocals sounding a little 'Korny,' the rest of it was awesome. Awesome.

"Deadhead" and "Away" are my favourites. I kept getting pictures of the ocean...wide and powerful with futuristic machines floating above. Ha! That's just me, I guess.

But this is such a great CD. I've already listened to the whole thing multiple times. NEVER skipping a track.

A question to the big fans...who plays the solos on "Away?" Great stuff!

Well...I guess Strapping Young Lad is next...

dev plays everything, writes everything, produces everything etc. on his solo albums.

those are my two favs as well. along with sunday afternoon and random analysis close behind. hell they're all good.

I would just like to say that the Sunday Afternoon solo is incredible. I've listened to this album essentially every weekday for something like a month, and that solo gets me every time. It's not even flashy like the solos most guitarists try to pull off (and show off), it's just extremely melodic and flowing, and that says a lot about Devin's compositional abilities.

Devin's a quite amazing guitarist :)

I actually bought Accelerated Evolution today.. haven't heard a single song from it yet.. hmm.. I think I'm gonna go home and listen now.. :)
*leaves*

I think this may have the best guitar work of any Devin album...although Terria had its awesome solos, I tend to think of it in terms of the multilayered atmospherics, where no single instrument dominates, instead sounding like one huge landmass of sound...

Steve Vai (one of the best guitarist in the world) said about Devy that hes a better guitarist than him. this is of course both compositionwise and technicalwise. Dev compose everything , play guitars , samples , keyboards , sing , produce his albums , mix them , its the genius pulse from A to Z. gene hoglan composed some of the drum tracks for SYL3 & byron stroud did the final mix for the album (the reason for the inferior results of the album sound compared to city) but beside that all the genius guitar riffs on the album are right from the Dev mind of course.

Here's my personal rundown of all the songs on ACCELERATED EVOLUTION...

01: DEPTH CHARGE

Nice opening song with great drive and volume. Sets up the CD perfectly...not that all the songs are in this vein. The moods shift dramatically throughout.

02:STORM

What emotion! Actually mentioning the name 'Tracy' was moving. And his scream of "waiting here baby please...STAY WITH ME!" Even Rob Halford would've said "DAMN! That boy's good!"

03:RANDOM ANALYSIS

Probably my least favourite song on the CD, simply because of Devin's 'Korny' vocal approach. Good song, though.

04: DEADHEAD

bowdown.gif

05:SUICIDE

Excellent song with cool bass parts.

06:TRAVELLER

Nice song...sort of the radio-friendly stuff that Mtv may like...but in many ways too good for the likes of Mtv...

07:AWAY

What can I say...AWESOME riff, AWESOME feeling, AWESOME solo...

One of my favourites...

08:SUNDAY AFTERNOON

I would have to say that around the time of "Away" to the end of the CD, the mood changes to a more serene, beautiful vibe. This punctuates it.

09:SLOW ME DOWN

This song is like a movie with a happy ending. The song makes me happy. And I feel so good after hearing it, even if I'm in physical or emotional pain. Thanks, Mr. Townsend for a great CD.

Overlord Purple Rainbow said:
05:SUICIDE

Excellent song with cool bass parts.

I like especially the beginning of it, the riffing is awesome
08:SUNDAY AFTERNOON

I would have to say that around the time of "Away" to the end of the CD, the mood changes to a more serene, beautiful vibe. This punctuates it.
I agree! when Away ends and Sunday Afternoon comes in, there's this special feeling, which is hard to describe for me, but it's really just beautiful

Here's my personal rundown of all the songs on ACCELERATED EVOLUTION...

03:RANDOM ANALYSIS

Probably my least favourite song on the CD, simply because of Devin's 'Korny' vocal approach. Good song, though.

i thought at first too. the vocals are weird...but the song grew a lot on me. now its one of my favorites. i love the part at 3:30 something (somewhere around there) when he says "but im loving....and insecure.....and just a little bit violent.).....awesome!

also the lyrics are killer. very true: "'cause power is as power does and every little power trip we pull because....it's all inside, a selfish pride, wanting the control of it all, CONTROL OF IT ALL, CONTROL EMOTION!!"

One lyric actually made me laugh out loud, it was.

"I'm not insane I'm not insane I'm just smarter than you"

I thought that was genius. :D