Just got Accelerated Evolution

Xilbalba

New Metal Member
Dec 25, 2001
Visit site
Yeah, I ordered a few things from HevyDevy the other day - well on SUNDAY! and it come today, which is incredible...and I'm listening to Accelerated Evolution right now.

It's really really good. I have all Devy projects, but this one, it really epitomizes what we've been hearing for so many years. Really really good...there is always a few things that I didn't like about some of his stuff over the years, sometimes I felt his songwriting suffered - but nevertheless - he pegged whatever I felt he was missing on this album. Really, really solid, emotionally charged, cathartic music.

Awesome man. Did you order the Limited Edition with the bonus EKO CD?
If so, how is it?

Anyway thanks for the heads up, I actually just ordered the LTD Edition version right now.

yeah, I cant wait!

its amazing how devin can really truly make his music so emotional, even without words. the actual music is so emotional. take away on the new record. when i listen to that song, its something i can feel. same thing with the majority of his songs....i can actually FEEL the music, and im not talking about a quick adrenaline rush i get when i listen to arch enemy or something. i mean real feeling, i cant describe.

Reactions: Demonspell
Devy_Metal said:
its amazing how devin can really truly make his music so emotional, even without words. the actual music is so emotional. take away on the new record. when i listen to that song, its something i can feel. same thing with the majority of his songs....i can actually FEEL the music, and im not talking about a quick adrenaline rush i get when i listen to arch enemy or something. i mean real feeling, i cant describe.

Exactly!! :)

Man, cd is godly as hell. I love this cd more then the new Strapping Yong Lad cd. Devin Townsend is at his godly best here and I got a copy for my mom who started liking his work with Terria. Accelerated Evolution made my jaw do this
jawdrop.gif
in amazing how this huge this cd sounded.

got it today, too. overall it's a fantastic album!
BUT...there's something that annoys me. the choruses on both "Traveller" and "Slow Me Down" are too standard generic pop melodies. I really don't think they're very original. I had the same problem with "Nobody's Here" from the Terria album. I mean, these are nice melodies, but compared to those from the Ocean Machine/Infinity/Terria records, for example, they're quite weak and uninspired.

ok, I'll stop now :p

Accelerated Evolution is here...and it is set to repossess my speakers! Deadhead and Random Analysis kick serious ass, and Sunday Afternoon and Away just wash over me in those layers of sound that Devin creates so effortlessly! And I have no problems so far with the more accessible material like Storm, Slow Me Down, and Traveller...

Well I got my "legitamate" copy in the mail yesterday. Man this album had some high expectations for me, and it met them all, well almost. My only MINOR complaint is I wish it was a bit longer, though 54:32 is hardly a short CD. I just kinda missed Devin's "filler" that makes the albums just scream to be played as a whole. But having an album like AE with ALL killer individual songs isnt bad at all. Its a good album to get a new fan hooked into, kind of like Ocean Machine. Devin did say this album was going to be more of a "song", "song", "song" type album, so that didnt surprise me, but some of my favorite moments on Ocean Machine and Terria were those wierd songs like Sister/3 A.M. and "Down and Under"/"Humble".(though "Deadhead" and "Away" take me back to those moments so hell, I dont really see what Im complaining about.)

Again, this is just my bastard nitpicking and the more I type, the more I realize Im just contradicting everything I say, and Im not getting a good point across. So in the end, I really couldnt have asked for a better album from Devin and Co. than the one I got. Every song is pure joy and I cant go through any of them without singing.(except "Away", where I still try to sing the last part..haha)

So this post is not a complaint at all, seeing as Ive listened to it multiple times every day for almost a month now, and dont ever see myself putting it down. Its just my observation of a truely amazing album.

So thank you Devin Townsend Band, thank you for the magnificent album.

I just got mine yesterday also. My initial impression is that the album is very good, though it's too early for me to decide where it ranks among his other projects. There are definitely similarities to Terria, although the songs are more traditionally structured (which was something DT said he wanted to do with this album). I think my favorites songs so far are probably Deadhead, Suicide, and Away.

My only complaint (and a slight one at that) is the production. I've heard people say this would be his best-sounding album technically, and I think even Devin was quoted as saying that. I'd have to disagree. While it doesn't sound bad, it does seem to be somewhat lacking on the high end, the recording doesn't have that "airy" quality to it and percussion just doesn't have that snap that I expect from a reference quality recording. Also when listening closely with good headphones you can hear some distortion in some places. Granted I definitely prefer a slightly laid-back recording such as this compared to the harsh, overly-bright recordings so many bands used to put out (and some still do). But to me Terria has a better sound overall from a technical standpoint.

I also gave the EKO Project CD a quick listen. My impression was that it's pretty good, but I've never really listened to "techno" music much, so I may not be the best judge. I think it could be nice to have on in the background, maybe.

SpeakUSAorDie said:
So thank you Devin Townsend Band, thank you for the magnificent album.

wicked. absolutely amazing - i know now that my *upcoming-thru-post-and-awaiting-terrible-CD player-stick-throughout-the-remainder-of-my-life-DIGIPAK-copy* will be well-spent money.

i just cant wait.

SO SHUT YOU BASTARDS!
you guys make my Devinsomnia reality tonight (it's coming in tomorrow you know)!

i got AE yesterday (the LTD kind of thing...) and yepp....it's a great disc. actually i think it sounds like terria pt.2 which isn't really annoying because i love terria and i'll also love AE.

still it doesnt top physicist....

This album totally kicks ass and reaffirms Devin's spot as one of the most talented men in music today. I just bought the CD earlier today and after hearing the first four tracks, I am pleased to report that my head has been blown clean off my shoulders.

This could be one of the top albums of the year...