Accentuating/Extending snare ring?

demirichris

Jul 16, 2009
Indianapolis Indiana
I am currently mixing my younger brothers band, it's sort of a nighties-ish progressive rock thing. I have been referencing mixes by a guy named ken andrews...I think his stuff sounds great for the style my brother is doing. One of his projects really shines for me production wise, it's a band called year of the rabbit. One thing I love about the recording is the drum sound, especially the snare. I really want to recreate something similar to what you hear on this song:

There is a ton of ring on the snare there, I am not afraid to use the hell out of samples but I am having trouble extending and really accentuating the ring on a snare. I have tried to find the frequency of the ring and boost the hell out of it, but I am wondering if there are some other tricks you guys might have to help me.

Also, any tips on getting that huge amount of super low end on the bass heard on this song?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a HUGE Ken Andrews fan; Year of the Rabbit and Failure are both awesome. He's an excellent producer/engineer/mixer too.

The snare on most of his stuff sounds to me like a big ol' metal snare a la Ludwig Black Beauty / Supraphonic / etc. I could be wrong but a good metal snare will give you a lot of body and more ring than a wood snare, which should get you most of the way there.