ACEPHALOUS : DIVINE PURITY

acephalous

stay fucking EVIL!!!
Feb 1, 2007
first review from XiweinX

Acephalous – divine purity

After the release of the demo (‘star of death’) and a handful of gigs, the guys in Acephalous thought it would be wise to retreat and concentrate on writing new material that would be good enough to appear on a full-length effort.
Now, a few years later, it’s here. And fans of blistering extreme metal should check it out.

I am always pleased to hear that bands like to do things themselves. As is the case with Acephalous. The stuff you hear here, is self-written, recorded and produced. And they did a very good job at that. Of course, do not expect a superclean, polished and pounding (big budget) production but a distinctive sound that captures each riff and detail in its purpose.
Drums are done with a sequencer, but again, well done.

The people who don’t want to know which important bands have influenced the songs on this album can skip the following part.
If my well-trained ear is right, the dudes in Acephalous have blended Dissection with Death and constructed songs with Monstrosity and At The Gates (era ’ …burning darkness’) as building-parts. If you like, then taste!

Intense listening, preferably with headphones, is advised. All songs consist of multi-layered compositions that need your attention. There are little few moments when both guitars are actually playing the same riff, what makes for an interesting and adventerous ride. This isn’t pop music, you know.

The fact that i know the guys in this band doesn’t hold me back to point out some weaker points. For instance, the lead parts on this album are somewhat dull and too stretched and mostly uninspired. If they make the lead parts as adventerous as the songs themselves, this could be a really, really good album.
Also, some of the vocal work is too light, in my opinion. But that’s something the band gets right in a live setting. I know that ‘cause i’ve seen ‘em already.
But let me be clear: this is a really good album.

My favourite song here must be ‘into the abyss’, an instrumental piece where the qualities of this threesome come forward very clearly.

The album is coming out on Rotten To The Core (label and distro), a fine Belgian label with a heart for fine underground bands.

www.myspace.com/666acephalous

second review by Mark Youd from BORNINBLOOD

ACEPHALOUS – Divine Purity [Rotten to the Core Distribution 2007]

For fans of – Dissection, Morbid Angel, Dying Fetus, The Berzerker.
Not for fans of – Peace and quiet.

Acephalous, a three-piece hailing from Belgium, describe themselves as a mix of brutal & melodic death metal with some black metal thrown in for good measure. That description isn't far wrong, they have made a good job of fusing all the different sounds together into one ugly abhorration that demands attention. Almost exclusively fast paced, this album doesn't make good lazy Sunday afternoon listening, it's a violent car crash of a record that leaves you feeling totally skullfucked.

Musically it's chaotic, but the odd riff or guitar frill here and there makes it surprisingly catchy. The vocals, regularly switching between deep, gutteral growls to throat slicing screams, are very high up in the mix and can be distracting at times - There is nothing original or worth reading in the lyrics, which makes me wish that Kenneth Keysers would keep his mouth shut more often and let his music do the work... and boy, does it work! Take a listen to the instrumental track "Into the Abyss" to hear what I mean – That song alone is worth the price of the CD (It includes the best use of the PAN dial I've heard in a long time.)

No doubt, Kenneth and Tom can write some great stuff together, hopefully they can replace the drum sequencer one day, but it must be a challenge to find a human that can keep up the pace!

Not just another one spin wonder, this album deserves to gain them some major label attention, I can see them fitting into the Relapse roster perfectly. Good luck guys.

Mark Youd

fyu zine (deathmetal.be)
Review: Acephalous
Written by [82/100] Avon M.
Tuesday, 10 April 2007
ACEPHALOUS – Divine Purity

RottenToTheCore – 2007CD

I’m a bit ashamed to admit it but until now I never had heard of this band before. So when I got this album in the mail and looked at the drawing on the front I was a bit pre-occupied. ‘Great, another black metal band, just what we needed!’ My mind was already busy summing up a bunch of vile insults to use in a hateful review before even hearing the first note. But after only a few seconds of ‘Divine Purity’ my brain cells stopped producing bad language and started an enthusiastic banging inside my skull, seriously threatening my sense of balance.

Talking about a strong debut! This threesome emerging from the deep swamps of Flanders surprises the scene with a strong album that combines death, thrash and black metal into a nearly perfect nuclear weapon. Acephalous is without any doubt one of the most surprising young bands around. Songs like ‘Bloodfull Moon’, ‘Red Of Children’s Blood’ and ‘Pure Damnation’ rise way above the standard quality of average underground releases. Strong, addictive leads, recognizable and varied vocals and furious drumming show that this band has a lot of potential.

But the one track that really pops out for me is the instrumental (!) ‘Into The Abyss’; a monstrous spherical experience that wiped away al my scepticism considering instrumentals on metal albums. This track alone already makes ‘Divine Purity’ worth buying.

My only point of criticism concerns the production. One can hear that this is a real underground release and I’m convinced that this album could benefit from a stronger production. But who knows, when Acephalous reaches the status of Behemoth in a few years we can all enjoy the re-produced version from ‘Divine Purity’ on a major label. With lots of extras off course.

Reviewed by Avon Moltoy

82/100

http://deimos.curious.be/~10DmbeRoot/dmbe2005/fyu/index.htm

I'll be completely honest I downloaded this album and didn't like it. The music isn't bad but it just doesn't offer anything interesting. There is some parts of the album I liked, but much of it I thought was rather mediocre.

I'll be completely honest I downloaded this album and didn't like it. The music isn't bad but it just doesn't offer anything interesting. There is some parts of the album I liked, but much of it I thought was rather mediocre.

thats ok, i apreciate your oppinion,thnx