Aces Records Oldsmar Fl

COIN

Mad Metal Thrasher
Apr 2, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Hi james ,MY name is Derek,I live in Canada,I wanted to say hey to you and thank you for being so cool and shit when i came to Tampa in 91 and my buddy Ken K took me down to the old Aces and you were workin there ,it was really cool and i appreciated you taken so much time to hang with a young metal fan on vacation,at that time you had just recorded the Cancer album,I got a really cool Pic with you,ill scan it and send it one day soon,anyway I just wanted to thank you ,Ill never forget it!!

You're welcome Derek,

One of the things I liked about that job was getting to meet people that were into my music. Thank you for taking the time to post on this forum!!

ACES RECORDS in Tampa??? I live 30 minutes North of Tampa and used to go to Aces all the time. I didn't go back far enough to 91 tho....not sure when it was. How about uploading that pic to the thread COIN? I wonder if I've met James. And by the way, this is my first time on this board as I am bored. Hehehe. I don't know anything about James. Would be cool if I met him.

@James

Did Heather own Aces when you worked there?

That's interesting; I'd been going there since 1998 and at one point I bought Convergence along with Feeding The Machine--both of which were autographed, so I inferred James had been there. When I bought those discs, no one mentioned to me that he had ever worked there…
(I've no idea of their employment history; this had been the E. Fowler Avenue location.)

Originally posted by Metal88
Did Heather own Aces when you worked there?
Heather was one of my co-workers when I was working there. She was part-time because she was still in school. She bought it from the original owner, Frank Dances, a fews years after I left in '93.

I first started working at Ace's when I joined Obituary and even though I was a "full-time" employee, I was often away on tour or in the studio. Frank always gave me a leave of absence so that I could record and tour. He was a pretty cool guy and he was cool with my extended absences for a few years, he would just get temporary help while I was gone. Finally, when I had to leave to go and record the Disincarnate CD in England, he ended up permanently replacing me.

Hope that helps clear up the timeline for you.

"Problems call forth our courage and our wisdom; indeed they create our courage and our wisdom. It is only because of problems that we grow. It is for this reason that wise people learn not to dread but actually welcome problems." ~M. Scott Peck~

Those dogs are Heather's, she got them well after I was gone, sometime after she bought the place. I first saw them when I came to Florida for a visit in '99, right after Testament's "The Gathering" tour. It's funny, I never thought about whether or not the dogs presence actually scared off any customers but it seems likely looking back. I know that Heather had them there as pets but also as a deterrent to robbers. That was definitely a concern in that area, so I don't blame her. The store no longer exists as a physical location anyway, she closed it down several months back and had plans to move it on-line.

Yes, in fact I just the website for Ace's Records . It looks like it is still under construction, but there is a phone number, and an email address.

921079072158.jpg
921079072202.jpg

Hey james heres the pic when i met you at Aces in 1991 and the pic of you and Alan M mocking the Glam Shit!

Glad to see you posting James... I was in Ace's Records every damn week, you turned me on to Solitude Aeturnus way back when. I was also abe to get a copy of the Disincarnate demo while he was working in Tampa!!

I was in a band (still am) called the TableTops.. it's hard to forget a silly name like that, so you may recall us. Here's our link www.ttops.net our sound section is currently fubar because we were using mp3.com and they died.

I'm glad to hear you're still recording and active.

Also, I ran into a copy of Disincarnate on CD at the Virgin Megastore in Orlando... was that re-released? I was under the impression that it was oop.

And it was a sad day when Heather closed the door of Aces.. I think it was 4/23/2002. I still don't think the web site is up.

I used to buy there all the time when they were at the Oldsmar flea market and on Fowler. Oddly enough, the move to Fowler coincided with my starting college at USF, so I got to go more often! Any word if Heather will make a Facebook? I last spoke to her around 2005 and bought a Richie Kotzen CD from her over the phone.