Acoustic guitar - tracking and panning

Andreas84

New Metal Member
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I will record some songs on acoustic guitar, mostly instrumentals, and I would like to get some input on how many tracks to use, and the panning. I am not very experienced with this, so bare with me if I am not expressing myself in the clearest way possible :)

Sometimes there is only one thing being played (rhythm), but quite often there is a complimentary rhythm, and/or a melody which is sometimes harmonized. Quite often, there may be 3 or 4 different things being played at the same time.

When I was recording a metal album, the engineer advised to never pan any guitar to the middle. Thus, a melody would usually be recorded as two tracks, panned slightly to each side, etc. The main thing was to avoid having in example 5 or 7 tracks (thus potentially giving an imbalanced mix), but to have in example 6 or 8 tracks instead. Would this kind of thinking also apply to recording acoustic guitar? Or does it make more sense to only have one track for each thing which is being played (making it sound more "realistic", like a few guitarplayers playing together..?)

I guess it is a good idea to always have at least two tracks most of the time, so that it can be panned to each side (rather than just one track in the middle. even if it is just some chords being played, record two tracks, and pan to each side?

On myspace.com/aubertmetal , you can hear the song "Flowering" which I recorded with acoustic guitar. There are two rhythm tracks most of the time, panned as mentioned above, and then there are other things panned in various ways. Does the panning and track arrangement in this song sound good to you?

I would also appreciate general input as far as how to get good results recording acoustic guitar.

Thanks!