Acoustic Guitars

MajestikMøøse

Membrum virile
Jul 28, 2003
Not Siberia
So I'm in the market for an acoustic guitar. I'm probably looking for a 12-string, because I'm a slut for that extra jangly sound, plus I think I can just unstring the extra fifth and octave strings if I get sick of using them, (I can do that, right?) I'm also looking at Acoustic-Electric or something with a built-in pickup, for ease of recording setup.

So far I've narrowed it to a few options:

32224.jpg

Yamaha APX5A12 Acoustic Guitar
$549 - Case Extra

or

84966.jpg

Ovation CS255-HBK Acoustic Guitar
$649 - Hardshell case included

They're both roughly in the same price range. I've played the Ovation, and I was really impressed, nice projection (better than I expected for such a thin acoustic) and very comfortable to play. The Yamaha I haven't played, but I've played the six-string version of the same guitar, and it's rather good, but I think the sound quality was a little lacking in comparison.

I think I'm leaning towards the Ovation, because of superior playablity and sound quality.... but it's pretty fucking fruity looking.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions to share?

and for the rest of you, just to make your opening this thread worthwhile:

050724-boobies.jpg

(hmm for some reason I think I've seen these on this forum before?)

I played an Ovation 12 string at a music store once, I really liked the feel of the action and the tension. Never tried a Yahamah but my dad has an old Epiphone one that isnt bad either. Ovations are generally nicer models, but with any acoustic-electric, you should test it on the electric setting to. Some of them have really shitty internal pickups, but obviously the higher the price the better quality of pickup.

Nate knows a good acoustic manufacturer dude, they are pretty pricey though. I really like Taylors, would like to own one someday.

Ovations are cool, but sorta overdone. I mean, even I have one. :loco:

NADatar said:
Ovations are cool, but sorta overdone. I mean, even I have one. :loco:

I'm not really looking for something unique... just something that works for my purposes, which is basically playing on my own and recording shitty folk music in my basement.

I remember the Ovation being pretty good, but I'm viewing the reviews on harmony central and it seems for some reason or another, everyone hates this one, but everything else Ovation on harmony central they love. WTF.

God dammit, why does guitar research have to be so complicated.

hmmm

fuck this, those dudes on Harmony Central are probably homosexuals humping their boyfriends Taylor and Martin in the closet, and can't stand to play a quality instrument of a lower price.

Besides, I really liked playing that Ovation in the shop.

i guess you're really not in the market for what i've got then :tickled:
mt_d15_f1_lg.jpg

can't let this opportunity pass without mentioning how much this guitar kicks ass and i love it though :kickass:

That's a pretty nice Martin. I play a Larrivee.

It all come down to how much you want to spend.

If you're looking below $750 USD, check out the Seagull line. Ovations are strictly for live performance. They SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK in an acoustic environment. Yamaha's are good for their price. Especially if you can find an old one.

Here's what to look for:

Woods:
1) Top - Make SURE this is a solid wood (spruce, cedar, etc.). Don't settle for lamanent. Unless you're in Death in June.

2) Side and Back - Solid is preferable, but you might only be able to afford lamanent. Some people say lamanent sides and back are perfectly fine. Others would kill themselves for not having solid.

Spruce top with mahogany sides and back is the most common combination. It willl yield a powerful and full sound. Spruce top with rosewood sides and back will yeild slightly more power, but less warmth and more brilliance (they use that term for some reason). Cedar top will add much more warmth at the expense of less clarity. Classical guitars use cedar tops, but some people like them on steel string.

If you plan on using a pick, just go for the spruce top with whatever side and back you can afford.

Ohh yea god, please make sure it is a solid wood body like Nate said. My Classical model has a cedar top with rosewood sides. My friend has a custom takamine that uses some type of treated japanese oak, its sounds very nice as well.

hmmmm

HMMMMMM

I think it's time to ignore these two and start looking at higher end stuff then.

It doesn't really bother me to spend more money though. With musical equipment it's a well established fact that you get what you pay for.

MajestikMøøse said:
hmmmm

HMMMMMM

I think it's time to ignore these two and start looking at higher end stuff then.

It doesn't really bother me to spend more money though. With musical equipment it's a well established fact that you get what you pay for.

If you don't want to plug it in to a PA, I would HIGHLY suggest looking into a Larrivee L-03 or D-03. All solid wood. You won't find a better bang for the buck. You're not paying for a name like Martin or Taylor either.

MajestikMøøse said:

I'm now looking at this one: http://www.ovationguitars.com/index.cfm?fa=detail&mid=16

Non-faggy looks + USA craftsmanship = :thumbsup:

BALLADEER
Model 6751

12-String Acoustic/Electric
Body Type: Mid-Depth Cutaway
Top: A Grade Solid Spruce
Bracing: A Brace
Scale Length: 25 1/4"
Scale:
Fretboard: Rosewood
Fret Inlay: Pearl Dots
Bridge: Walnut
Rosette: Oakleaf
Pickup: Ovation Thinline
Nutwidth: 1 7/8"
Machines: Chrome

seems simple enough, looks like it's made of quality materials as well.
The only downside that I can't try any of these out before making a purchase (unless I want to wait for four months to TRY to find some to try out), but otherwise it's looking really good regardless... and these online retailers have return policies if it just doesn't work out. Just under $1000, including a deluxe hardshell case. Looks pretty bang for the buck to me.

Thoughts?

You really wanna get a 12 string? Thats gonna pigeon hole you so much man.

I'de get a normal 'ol 6er then save up again for a 12er, I'm sure others will agree.

Ovations are pretty cool but wood > plastic, imho.

Martin is my favorite acoustic.

Taking off the extra string in each course will be megariproaringlame because the neck is much wider then a 6 string guitar.

This conversation rules, keep going!