ADA MP-1 preamps

Filthgrinder

New Metal Member
Nov 21, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
Hey guys, I can't seem to search for any existing threads on the topic because the search function needs more than four characters for a word.

Anyway, my question is to you people here, what do you think of the ADA MP-1 preamps compared to other preamps out there? I've heard a lot of good things about them. Sorry if this has been done to death. What other equipment would you recommend with them?

If you like Kirk's lead sound on MOP and AJFA they were mostly recorded with the ADA afaik. Michael Wagener went as far as posting the ADA settings on Gearslutz a while ago. My bookmarks of that thread don't work anymore. The thread was called "Condensor Mic Identification". Went into all the MOP and some AJFA settings, mic's, etc...

If you like Kirk's lead sound on MOP and AJFA they were mostly recorded with the ADA afaik. Michael Wagener went as far as posting the ADA settings on Gearslutz a while ago. My bookmarks of that thread don't work anymore. The thread was called "Condensor Mic Identification". Went into all the MOP and some AJFA settings, mic's, etc...

Thanks for that info, will try to google it, sounds interesting.

I remember reading somewhere that they also used the MP1 on Garage Days Re-Revisited (the one with The Wait, Green Hell, ect). Ive wanted one of those for 15 years now. haha. One of these days...

WOW - I've always bitterly loathed Metallica's rhythm tone, but the lead tones on those albums are spectacular...

I used one for many years with a Mesa Colusium 300 Power Amp and it sounded great.

I did replace it with the Line 6 POD Pro which had more weight to the sound.
At first I didnt like the POD Pro because I didnt read the manual to figure out how to hold the Tempo button and activate other features like turning cabinet emulation off or activating the Presense.

But every time I go back and hook up the ADA it still sounds really good and everyone else likes it that hears it.

I actually prefered the stock ADA over a stock Mesa Triaxis. Felt it had better crunch and distortion for metal.

And the ADA's go for $150 or so. Cant hurt to have in a collection at that price. Especially if you want thrash tone.

I've owned a couple of them and have regretted ever selling them off. I had a stock and a 666 modded one. The modded one was KILLER for rhythms and the stock one is perfect for leads. I am planning on getting another one in the future to have in the collection of amps. I didn't get rid of them because I didn't like them, I just liked the 5150 tone more back then :)

Once I realized that having multiple options for tone is a must I started regretting getting rid of them. :(

~e.a

Hey I'll trade one for a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI. It needs a new battery <$5 part. Having a 5150 and a ADA 75 watt combo negates the need for one.

wasn't metallica lead tone on MOP and AJFA mark iic+?

but anyway it is a great pre amp FWIW. it's really cheap and super modifiable. I've been thinking of picking one up just for the hell of it.

my favorite application of that preamp has always been nuno bettencourt tones.

wasn't metallica lead tone on MOP and AJFA mark iic+?

but anyway it is a great pre amp FWIW. it's really cheap and super modifiable. I've been thinking of picking one up just for the hell of it.

my favorite application of that preamp has always been nuno bettencourt tones.

rhythms were mkIIc pre out into marshall fx return
leads were done with the ada

A great preamp. I miss mine so much! I'll probably get shot for saying this around here, but I always liked it better than my triaxis.

A great preamp. I miss mine so much! I'll probably get shot for saying this around here, but I always liked it better than my triaxis.

Won't get shot from me. Had one of those things for a week and got my money back. Blehhh. That's all I have to say about that experience...

~006

I've never had the pleasure of playing with an MP-1 for any length of time but the clips I've heard of the 3 Tube Mod are totally crushing. I don't remember the cleans at all but they're probably good. Did those of you who ditched the Triaxis ever load it with JJ's? I bought my Triaxis off eBay and at first I thought my Triaxis was bit lame until I re-tubed it with JJ's from Eurotubes. I never thought too much gain was possible but now LD2 Yellow with gain around 5 is approaching ridiculous. I'm sure there are some Grind bands that would totally use it though. I didn't even opt for the High Gain JJ's, I can't imagine how those must sound.

All that said, I'd still like to get a MP-1 with the 3TM. I looked at the options on adadepot.com and all the different mods seemed relatively the same. If I could play with one that'd be nice. For the money you can't beat the MP-1. I only paid $800 for my TA though so I did alright. I love the TA as it is.

BTW - Doesn't the 3TM require drilling/cutting the case? I thought they had to do some case mod to fit the larger tranny in it.