Adagio - Dominate

hunter

Mar 13, 2004
My Christmas gift came in the mail last night, the new Adagio CD, Dominate, and I've been listening to it all morning. So what do I think?

I really don't know. :err:

We have a new singer who can handle the songs with strong vocals (and now does death metal vocals). Yes, there's three songs with heavy use of death metal vocals. Looking at the cover art I guess it was written as such because of the subject matter or story. It makes me think this whole album is a "continuation" of Underworld - kind of like Dante's Inferno, now we're meeting the Demons of Underworld.

There are 9 tracks total (one Japanese Bonus and one Cover tune, "Fame"). I don't know who sang the original of "Fame" but I recognize it as the theme music from that old TV show of the same name....very, very strange.

The neo-classical elements are still there, though not as dominant as in their first two albums. This album feels alot like Royal Hunt's later albums - after D.C. Cooper left. They have a new singer and are trying to change their musical direction, or at least distance themselves from similar bands like Symphony X ~ hence the death vocals. There are a few catchy chorus lines, especially in the couple of standard tracks, which are another departure for this band. A little more straight forward metal.

Dominate is a mixed bag, which may grow on me over time. But I'll be keeping my eyes out for reviews next year to see how everyone judges it. Basically I'm on the fence with this one.

Weird, I thought it was awesome since I heard it a few months ago (Nope, I didn't download it... Gus gave me a copy himself).

He is not doing the death vocals, Stephan Forte is. And I really didnt think there's that much of it. I don't know, you make it sound like death vocals are a negative thing.

I agree that is much more straightforward, not as much classical bs going on... But this style blends perfectly with Gus' voice. His performance is really good, and Fame is a cool track!

I hope the album grows on you with time. It's really awesome. =)

Sitting on my hd as I type this....Couldn't justify a blind buy with this one after being somewhat disappointed with the Prog Power performance.
I DO look forward to hearing it on Monday, and hopefully buying it soon after.
No offense to Gus, or the rest of the band, I just expected better, personally. More on this to come......

J-Dubya

Well I did blind buy it, and Im sorry I did. Not a bad disc, but nothing I should have spent 33.00 on or will really listen to again. The growl vocals dont do much for me, the cover of FAME IMO is ridiculous, and the songs are really nothing that grabs me. I think 2 tracks were decent, and the rest just filler to my ears. Thankfully I didnt open my copy, and found a buyer for it (Cheaper than what I paid!!!).

On the other hand my 2 other Japan releases came that Im really enjoying, they are....

Bloodbound - Nosferatu
Wizards - The Kingdom II

DrumRman said:
Well I did blind buy it, and Im sorry I did. Not a bad disc, but nothing I should have spent 33.00 on or will really listen to again. The growl vocals dont do much for me, the cover of FAME IMO is ridiculous, and the songs are really nothing that grabs me. I think 2 tracks were decent, and the rest just filler to my ears. Thankfully I didnt open my copy, and found a buyer for it (Cheaper than what I paid!!!).

On the other hand my 2 other Japan releases came that Im really enjoying, they are....

Bloodbound - Nosferatu
Wizards - The Kingdom II

Took a quick spin through it, and I'm still on the fence. I'll burn a copy for the
long drive to/from work. It doesn't sound awful, and Gus sounds kickass. Unfortunately, nothing I heard was really "special", at least so far.

Can't wait to hear all of the Bloodbound. Face paint aside, Urban kicks ass! :headbang:

J-Dubya

Imagikafan said:
The first half of the disc is pretty solid, especially "Dominate" and "Children Of The Dead Lake"; however, the "Fame" cover is horrible. :ill:

LOL! That was the last thing I heard before going to bed.
Needless to say, it caused night sweats, vomiting, AND diarrhea.
All at the same time! :yuk:

J-Dubya

I gotta agree that the Fame cover is aweful. Not only is it a lame choice for a cover tune... it just ticks me off when I see a brilliant band with obvious creative capability put out a cd that has only 7 original tracks (barring the jap bonus) and then they throw on that pile of crap. Take an extra month and grind out a few more original tunes, save the stupid covers for the singles.

longshot9 said:
I gotta agree that the Fame cover is aweful. Not only is it a lame choice for a cover tune... it just ticks me off when I see a brilliant band with obvious creative capability put out a cd that has only 7 original tracks (barring the jap bonus) and then they throw on that pile of crap. Take an extra month and grind out a few more original tunes, save the stupid covers for the singles.
the label force them to finish the album early.read the interview
http://www.hardandheavy.net/eng/interviews/index.php?op=1&id=126