Adat help!

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
Okay so Im about to buy an adk computer for recording and I'm looking to use the Saffire Pro 40 as my main audio interface, problem is 8 inputs will not be enough for both micing drums and using triggers simultaneously.

What I wanted to know is, can I buy a cheap ada8000 (obviously for just recording the clicks and pops of the triggers the pre's dont have to be great) and expand my saffire pro? Will there be any jitter issues seeing as I don't have a word clock? And will there be any problems with sample rate?

HEELLLLLP! :yell:

No no issues at all, I have this setup in my studio currently for this exact same reason. The ADA8000 gets set to Master, and the Saffire to slave. Saffire mix control will control both interfaces flawlessly. Run the link cable from the OUT of the ADA8000 to the IN on the Saffire, open mix control and set the Saffire as Slave by setting the sync source to ADAT

Omg! Thanks for the quick reply. Only question is wouldn't you want the saffire pro to be the master? Sorry I'm alittle new at this could you explain why the ada would be master and the saffire would be the slave?

Omg! Thanks for the quick reply. Only question is wouldn't you want the saffire pro to be the master? Sorry I'm alittle new at this could you explain why the ada would be master and the saffire would be the slave?

Because that's the only way you can set it up ;) It doesn't really matter which one is the master, as long as all the connected units are synced to the same clock.

Yeah it does.

sam2070large.jpg

Thats only for the BNC out not the Optical out, at least thats how Behringer support explained it to me when I talked to them. To work with the Saffire pro, the Behringer needs to be set as the master, it can not work as a slave device according to Behringer unless you are using it with another ADA8000

Thats only for the BNC out not the Optical out, at least thats how Behringer support explained it to me when I talked to them. To work with the Saffire pro, the Behringer needs to be set as the master, it can not work as a slave device according to Behringer unless you are using it with another ADA8000

Look again, there's a slave for adat in, as long as the Saffire has an adat out, which it does, then the ada will clock to the Saffire.

Öwen;9498909 said:
Look again, there's a slave for adat in, as long as the Saffire has an adat out, which it does, then the ada will clock to the Saffire.
Yep.
My ADA8000 is set to slave via ADAT all the time and I've had zero problems.

Well I am just going by what Behringer told me. I had problems the first week I had the 2, finally in desperation got a hold of support and that was their answer. Argue that fact all you like, but in the configuration stated above the system works.

Either way for the setup hes trying to use this is how it needs to be done. No sense in arguing over a moot point. Behringer needs to be master and Focusrite needs to be slave.

Either way for the setup hes trying to use this is how it needs to be done. No sense in arguing over a moot point. Behringer needs to be master and Focusrite needs to be slave.

So you're saying you were using a Saffire 40 with it then?

To be honest I don't see this as an argument, I just have a drastically different experience in that I have clocked the ada to several other things and had no problems, so unless you've used the exact setup the OP is listing then I don't see how it "needs" to be anything.

@guitarguru haha yeah I'm almost afraid to buy it just because its a behringer but I'm def gonna have to bite the bullet on this one cuz its just soooo cheap at any rate thanks for all the info guys, definitely will be purchasing this in the near future!

Öwen;9499081 said:
So you're saying you were using a Saffire 40 with it then?

To be honest I don't see this as an argument, I just have a drastically different experience in that I have clocked the ada to several other things and had no problems, so unless you've used the exact setup the OP is listing then I don't see how it "needs" to be anything.

yup exact same setup. Saffire Pro 40 and an ADA8000 :)

IMAG0030.jpg