Adobe Audition

Obscura

Mar 16, 2004
www.myspace.com
Does anyone have any experience with this program? I just got access to a computer, a slow old computer, that I want to use to start recording. I've heard that Audition is one of the least taxing programs as far as memory requirements and things like that. I only want to use it to do rough guitar tracks, nothing fancy. Right now I'm using one of those minicassette recorders that doctors use for dictation. Pathetic. Any help would be appreciated.

Audition would be great for you if you aren't going to get really insane with your productions. I used to use it for everything. It's easy to use, works good and doesn't hog the crap out of the cpu. It worked great with the Waves Platnum Bundle too. How are you gonna input the guitar to the PC though? Do you have a card to support what you want to do?

The very minute you switch from the little dictation cassette tape recorder to a digital solution of any kind a WORLD opens in front of you!!!

When i got a 4 tracks Tascam way back in 1995 after five years of mono cassette tape it was great. A lot of good ideas took a decent shape in that format.

Then i switched to 8 tracks digital. Finally able to record stereo drums and bass and voice and actually mixing them without ping ponging the tracks all over. AWESOME! Two actually good demo CDs were recorded by my band that way.

Then again enter ProTools. Keep in mind that if you don't lose yourself in all that MIDI shit and a LOT of track (much more you'll ever need for home recording) just having 10/15 tracks and editing functions are all you need to happily record every idea that can cross your mind.

It's a matter of using the digital multitrack program as a tape recorder and when you stumble upon a problem referring to the help section into the program.

Go and have fun, because the first couple of months after you'll begin to record on a computer you won't be able to think of anything else than how you can blend your sounds, harmonize that part, doubling that other, insert a little thing here an there...

There is no turning back. :hotjump:

Hey, thanks for all the great replies. I actually had the opportunity to borrow my cousins Tascam 8 track digital recorder, got hooked on the thing faster than heroin, and then he took it back. I just want to create click tracks and basic guitar tracks to give to the other guys in my band so we don't have to play through the songs 10 million times to get them down. It's also nice to be able to do some layering and harmonies. I don't have an interface yet between me and the computer. The computer only has a USB port and I think it may only be a USB 1 and not 2. Any suggestions? I've got an ok 7 string, a 5150 combo and an SM 57 so that much is taken care of. Being able to do pre-production is gonna be huge. The recording of our last album was extremely rough due to a lack of prep/attention to detail by some of the members. Being ale to hear clear, decent tracks is amazing.

Try the Extigy or Audigy 2 USB for connecting to the computer...they allow hi-res recording, and solve your input problem...they're easy to setup and use...I've helped people at work set them up for production on laptops and they work really well to get everything into your computer...

The Audigy USB is a good one to get...not too much more expensive than the Extigy...

Unless you really want to go crazy and get the MOTU stuff...

SteelRat said:
Try the Extigy or Audigy 2 USB for connecting to the computer...they allow hi-res recording, and solve your input problem...

The Audigy and Extigy don't have 1/4 inch I/O. How are poeple using this?

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
The Audigy and Extigy don't have 1/4 inch I/O. How are poeple using this?

You can use the mini-plug for simple things, which is what it sounds like he wants to do right now, and there's also optical in/out so you can hook up more complex (and expensive) equipment for multitrack, or optical mixer outputs.

I know, you can get really expensive gear that's better, blah blah blah, but if you're just doing demos, or pre-production, why spend extra money if you're going to re-record it later, anyway? Save the extra cash for the studio, and get more results!

And even though a lot of people on these boards will argue against it, you can still get pretty good sounds out of a lot of the less expensive gear...you just have to work a little harder to do it...;)

Thanks for all the help guys. I was away for a few days and this is my first chance to reply. I have another dumb question. If I get the M-Audio Audiophile USB do I also need to get a soundcard? Like I said before, I'm only doing demos for the band and not planning on releasing anything that's recorded. I've also been looking at new desktops and I'm confused because I know that Audition doesn't use up much space but the last thing I want to do is try to save a few bucks and end up with a really bad decision. So far I'm looking at systems with Pentium4,512+ mb of DDR RAM, 120GB storage, and a 17" lcd monitor. Is this overkill for Audition. I'm on a really tight budget but making music is my one great pleasure in life. Thanks. :headbang:

That computer isn't overkill for Audition...you'll be able to do a lot with that...just make sure you have enough memory in your video card as well, so video won't eat your processor or memory in any programs...Have fun with Audition, you really can do a lot with it!

I'm sorry I'm on a computer with no speakers and no media player for a few more weeks. I can't wait to listen to the clip. I'm putting together songs for my bands next album and it's such a pain in the ass trying to overdub and cut and paste on the Fostex VF80 that I'm using right now. Every time I want to burn something down onto cd I have to take a 45 minute drive to get it transferred. Look how spoiled I am already. A few weeks ago I was recording with a mini cassette recorder and now a digital workstation isn't good enough!

I really want to make click tracks to play along to because my timing is pretty suspect and trying to do overdubs is killing me. I already have the bpm's and number of beats figured out for each section, I just need a program to plug them into. Just to make sure I understand how this all works, this will be my chain: guitar and mic'd amp>M-Audio Audiophile USB>USB on computer>Adobe Audition? This is a dumb question but is the M-audio an interface and a soundcard? I know that this must be frustrating for you recording guys to have to explain this stuff over and over again but I've done some reading on my own and still don't completely understand. Thanks for all the help.

That recording chain should work...

Audition has a click track in it, on the multitrack window...you can set tempos, time signatures and such...you may have to build each click section and record the clicks as audio tracks if you have lots of tempo and time changes, but that's pretty easy to do.

Thanks so much for the patience and the help. Yeah, our songs have a lot of time and tempo changes, usually 7 or 8 per song, and trying to do overdubs without a click is making me want to run into traffic. I should be able to put this system together fairly easily and as soon as I do I'll post some results. Thanks again.