Adrian comments on the new album...

Tough As Steel

a.k.a. Aussie Dave
Feb 12, 2002
Canberra
Visit site
Posted by Gor on the official BB, taken from Greek Metal Hammer.

"...we have many ideas and the problem that we'll probably face will be what to do with all of them! we will use kevin shirley for production once again, and to be honest, it will probably be Brave New World's evolution, we liked the progressive rock direction it had and we will continue in that vein... "

What does everyone think about this?

I think its good news that Caveman is producing again, i am sure he well get an even better sound as he will really know the Band's style and strengths well now, after doing a studio and a live album.

I was a bit surprised to hear Adrian say it will continue with the prog rock element, only because i read somewhere that Nicko had commented that the next album will be "harder and faster" than BNW.

I think id like to see (or should that be hear) a better balance between heavier stuff and progressive stuff. Overall, I think BNW is mostly a progressive album, which is cool because its great, BUT as long as Adrians writing and guitar influence works its way into more than 2 songs ill be happy.

Oh....and a bloody Oz tour would be nice Mr Smallwood!

:D

Originally posted by Tough As Steel

"...we have many ideas and the problem that we'll probably face will be what to do with all of them! we will use kevin shirley for production once again, and to be honest, it will probably be Brave New World's evolution, we liked the progressive rock direction it had and we will continue in that vein... "

F**K Kevin Shirley and the horse he rode in on, he SUCKS :mad:

I hope they use more of Adrians stuff this time around, other than that, maybe drop a few of the overly repetitive choruses and ill be very happy :) BNW was a good album, so im sure they will ocme up with something to match that at least :headbang:

Personally I think Maiden should head in the more power metal direction than progressive.

Head back to the attitude on Piece Of Mind/Powerslave... lots of fast galloping and stuff hehe.

Well Troops...i totally agree with you but i dont think its gonna happen. The guys in Maiden are gettin' old and i dont think have the same fire & brimstone as far as their style of writing goes anymore.

spawn - why the beef with Kevin Shirley?

Listened to BNW tonight after giving it a miss for a while, its a f*@k'n good album. If they can do as good on the next i wont have anything to complain about. If they better it - bloody hell!

I think Caveman did a bloody good job with twiddling the knobs!

Originally posted by spawn

F**K Kevin Shirley and the horse he rode in on, he SUCKS :mad:

I hope they use more of Adrians stuff this time around, other than that, maybe drop a few of the overly repetitive choruses and ill be very happy :) BNW was a good album, so im sure they will ocme up with something to match that at least :headbang:

Agreed.

How sad that Roy Z didn't get taken up on his offer to produce the next album. Or perhaps Sasha Paeth and Miro - giving it an epic/power sound.

And yes, Janick Gershit HAS to step aside (under a speeding bus I hope) to let the others get some fucking breathing space. Adrian Smith is a genius and has written (or co-written) some of the best IM tracks in history.

I don't think they'll ever get back to their glory on Powerslave, but they could definately get to the "Somewhere in Time sound" - which is probably their most progressive album to date IMO.

Ok, Kevin Shirleys mixing and recording abilities dont suit my tastes, the drums sound absolutely terrible and the guitars sound so wimpy and theres no power to the production (of all the stuff he has done that ive heard its the same story, Dream Theater and silverchair have suffered the same affliction, not just Maiden)

I wish they had let Roy Z produce it too :D (Wheres Mark??? ;) )

(Oh, I like Brave New World too, I just think the production is crap, thats all :) )

LucioArgento - and when exactly did the production job get offered to Roy Z? I've never heard that one, and i don't believe it. Personally i don't think Steve Harris would have even entertained such an idea.

And why would you want Roy Z to produce?? So it will sound like Chemical Wedding? That'd be a shame for Maiden to try and sound like something it isn't.

Spawn, yeah the guitars could have a lil' more grunt, but don't you think that may have more to do with the way Dave, Adrian and Jan want the sound/tuning to be on certain songs? I mean, i can't see Caveman, going "Oi, you three...make your guitars sound wimpy!" Everyone in the band would get an idea of how things are sounding during the recording process, so i think alot of it has to do with them. What dissapoints me most, is you can actually hear some of Adrian's different tunings on certain songs but he seems to be mostly in the background (except for his tracks) BUT for the most part its like he's not there. Janick is a very good song writer, and a good guitarist (although "sloppy" live), but when has Janick ever come up with a really heavy crunchy guitar sound? Never in my opinion and its a shame because Adrians style gave Maidens sound toughness IMO, and nowadays he's almost like a shadow guitar player in the band, which sucks big time. It should be the other way around.

I think the drums sound great on BNW - better than they ever have IMO.

You guys are certainly entitled to your opinions, i respect that, i guess i am just a bit surprised thats all.

He meant Roy Z offered to produce Maidens next one I think :D
Id want Roy to produce it because he is a brilliant engineer and can get some awesome sounds onto the record, then he is just as good as a mixer, Marks going to say that it will make Maiden sound like Halford or Helloween or something, but I highly doubt Maiden will ever sound like anything but Maiden, no matter who produces :)
It doesnt even have to be Roy Z, id like to see Andy Sneap do the record too... Its got nothing to do with wanting Maiden to sound like someone else, we want them to sound GOOD! :) (BNW is still great and I still listen to it, just thought I should add that :) )

The drums I dont get, I think they are awful, but like you said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion :)

I know Adrian said he experimented with Janick on a lot of different tunings, but they didnt end up using most of them because "they didnt sound sound like Maiden" but they did use drop D in The Fallen Angel (I think?).

The only change needed is song structure.
Enough with the chorus' already. :mad:

And should they ever dare sing about camels again, I will be forced to kill someone! :mad:

Now I haven't heard a lot of Z's production, Brucies stuff and a few Halford songs are about all I can think of at the moment. But when I heard them, it struck me as how similar they sounded, but didn't he have a hand in writing most of the stuff he's produced?

Yep, he cowrote all Brucies stuff mostly and a fair amount of the Halford stuff as well, and Ive got all the other stuff he has cowrote as well on other albums and most of it is pretty similair :headbang:

Camels? Whenever I hear about them I always think of that scene in one of the Conan movies where Arnie punches one :lol: Champagne comedy :D

spawn - yeah! I love that scene....hehehe. :lol:

But seriously, Roy Z tends to get very involved in anything he works on, writing, playing, producing etc and I just dont think his influence would be right for Maiden.

I didnt know about Adrian and Jan experimenting with different tunings on BNW and then not using them. I think the guitars sound friggin awesome on Fallen Angel, they should have used more of that sound. :headbang:

I would not object to someone else other than Shirley, but i don't see any point discussing because they've obviously made up their minds already. He can't be all that bad, the way he recorded Maiden playing everything live, encased in their own little glass studios worked great. (that would've been funny to see :loco: )

The "live" energy definitely comes across on the album and the sound is very polished. If they can just improve the guitar sound just a tad ill be :tickled:

Yeah, its not going to kill me that its Kevin Shirley, but I wish they would get someone else :cry:
The songs will shine through, just like they did on BNW :D