Brave New World - my take, 2 years on.

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg

FA - an excellent almost heavy rocker. This is what The Mercenary could have been.

Yep. This song is Maiden.

Mark: Blood Brothers RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i'd actually say that Dave's songs are the songs that are Maiden. I mean, take Judas Be My Guide. Such a great song! so fast, with great vocals, great rhythm and a FANTASTIC solo!!!! the speed and the "fun" of the song are just soooo Maiden. imo. I also think that The Thin Line... in another brilliant "Maiden" song. So intricate; listen to all the guitar harmonies and all the over-lays. the vocals have meaning, and are very melodic, not forgetting the uniqueness of the harmonies through the verse. Songs like this just sum up Maiden's unique style, at least from all the music i've heard, which i admit may not be that big especially not in comparison to you guys. but hey! That's my tuppance worth if anyone cares.

And then there is of course the ultimate dave song : Charlotte the Harlot! hehe

The chorus is just dave brilliance. I wonder how long he took thinking those lyrics up...or if he actually based it on reality ;)

It seems, Spiff, that we disagree again. Anyone'd think I do this deliberately, but I assure you the opposite is the case.

LoA may indeed be a great film, but it doesn't do a thing for me. By consequence, Nomad, which deals with similar deserty, camelly type things always has me reaching for the skip button.

I'm not disputing LoA's reputation in the history of cinema, just stating my reaction to it. Sorry if I appeared to push a few wrong buttons in the process :).

W

I may be in a minority here, but I think the obvious thing to say is that I have always found Steve's songs to really be Maiden. I mean come on:

Prowler
Phantom of the Opera
Iron Maiden
Wrathchild
Murders In The Rue Morgue
Purgatory
Drifter
Children Of The Damned
The Number Of The Beast
Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Where Eagles Dare
The Trooper
To Tame A Land
Aces High
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Caught Somewhere In Time
Alexander The Great
Infinate Dreams
Mother Russia
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Fear Of The Dark
Sign Of The Cross
Judgement Of Heaven
Blood On The Worlds Hands
The Clansman

..and thats not all of his songs, not to mention songs he has made big contributions too. Maiden isn't one person, but if it was, it would be Steve. :headbang:

Absolutely, Steve Harris IS Iron Maiden.

But the other band members have played importants parts in the how those songs were delivered/executed.

Bruce & H coming back into the band, was a huge lift, the energy is more noteable as well as stronger songs start to finish on BNW than anything they've done since SSOASS.

Steve = Iron Maiden
Bruce = guy willing to take a chance and try something different when he realised he wasn't enjoying himself anymore
Adrian = guy willing to take a chance and try something different when he realised he wasn't enjoying himself anymore
Dave = yesman
Janick = yesman
Nicko = yesman

No, I don't know what point I'm trying to make either :)

Not quite right...

Bruce = guy willing to take a chance when he realised he might make a quid (he wasn't enjoying it since 1986!)

I agree.... Steve Harris is Iron Maiden, although Steve can't play guitar or drums or sing(well, sing great), so he needs the other members! :D

Back on topic, I'd just like to bring up a point I just thought about, How come they dont play OOTSP live when they've made a video for it??? Isnt that a little odd for a band not to play a single live???

Originally posted by Mark
Not quite right...

Bruce = guy willing to take a chance when he realised he might make a quid (he wasn't enjoying it since 1986!)

I don't think that's correct Mark. In the RTTH biography Bruce talked about how prior to making SSOASS, Steve had rung him and asked for his ideas. And Bruce said he really got right back into it and was very enthusiastic after his noteable exclusion from any song writing credits on SIT.

I don't think Bruce wanted to go solo to make a quid, he would have been making plenty in Maiden, it was for musical reasons alone.