A Matter Of Life And Death - thoughts?

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
I've just chucked it on again for the 3rd time today. I am finally starting to get my head around a lot of it and it is starting to soak in a bit. At first I didn't get much out of it, because it doesn't have as big a hooks as other Maiden releases, and didn't really know what to make of it. I remembered not getting into Dance Of Death straight away in a similar fashion, and I ended up being a great fan of that album, so figured all would be well, and now it is starting to take with me.

You can really see Maiden's evolution over BNW, DoD and now AMOLAD. BNW was pretty classic styled Maiden, with a slight progressive edge to the production and with songs like The Thin Line. DoD was much more in the vein BNW hinted at, but still had some moments of more classic Maiden, making it a bridging album between BNW and AMOLAD, which seems much more progressive than anything else they have done, and does away with much of the classic style sing a long choruses and short rocky tracks. This is one reason I find it strange to hear people say things like "AMOLAD is the same old stuff they have been doing for the last 13 albums", because I would put it up with The X Factor as being pretty different to other releases (and as I said, DoD was partly like this as well). I guess the more serious song writing has something to do with that.

I really like the production and the decision not to master the album. It isn't the best sound I have ever heard, but it has such a timeless classic vibe. If you played it to music fans who didn't know what it was or much about Maiden, and asked when they thought it was recorded, I would suspect you would get a range of answers. That is a cool thing.

Everything I have read about it being really consistent with no obvious standouts is very true. It seems far more consistent than BNW and DoD, but at the same time I don't think the high points are quite as high as you find on those albums. This might change when I hear more, but I don't think so. This also makes me wonder how strong some of the material will be live. There isn't much on here that I think would be better in a setlist than much of their back catalogue....not because it is weak material, it just doesn't seem to be the kind of stuff that would work as well live. Time will tell though.

When I first listened to Different World I wasn't sure what to make of the vocal melodies, but I quite like them now, and I really dig the song. I really like the main riff/lick.

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns is pretty full on and very heavy. This is the kind of heavy I like in Maiden. Good song.

The Pilgrim has an awesome intro lick as most people have pointed out, and is a pretty strong song too. I like this one, wouldn't be surprised if this or Different World was the next single.

The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg has grown on me since first hearing it, and now I really like it. I think it sits really well on the album too, and it was a cool choice for a single. Great song.

The Legacy is awesome. One of my favs for sure. Gotta love a classic Maiden epic!

Well this was a long post, so that will do for now. Overall though, I think Maiden have really come through on this one. :headbang:

I feel the same. It's a much more "serious" album than pretty much anything that's gone before.

I think AMOLAD vs DoD is going to be the same sort of thing as Chemical Wedding vs Accident of Birth for me. CW is the better all over album, but AoB has higher high points.

get my copy on Fathers Day, cant wait. I missed DoD but loved BNW. I love the cover art, that alone has got me excited.

Listening again now (because For The Greater Good Of God was stuck in my head all last night!) and I am starting to see some of the songs working better live than I previously imagined, but I still stand by what I said. I certainly wouldn't be putting half the album in the new setlist like they have done previously.

I love it. I give it a 8.5-9/10. BNW is still my favourite album thouygh, but this nearly equals BNW. I think SOME of the slower bits on it sounds like Blaze era stuff, but i like the Blaze era alot so it doesn't bother me. Favourites off this album are The Pilgrim and For The Greater Good Of God. But really all the songs rawk!

Yeah I think the song writing is closer to The X Factor than anything else, which is fine with me, since I love that album.

I just watched the DVD and quite enjoyed it. I like making of docos like that being bonuses with albums because they are interesting to watch, but not the kind of thing I would be overly keen on picking up seperately. Cool stuff.

It is an awesome album, even though I have only listened to it 3 time, but that was all the way through each time. I reckon Bruce's voice could of been brought out a bit more in a couple of tracks, haven't listened to it enough to remember the tracks by name yet.
The writing is ALOT darker like the X Factor, but IMO that is an awesome thing :headbang:

I agree with most of you dudes about the seiousness of it all, its a top release with some cranking songs.

Did anyone else find Bruce's voice to be some what sub-par, or is that just me?

Bruce does sound very ordinary at time - in contrast to Tyranny of Souls where he sounds awesome... Not as bad as DoD, he sounds shit on that album.. Overall i think it's a much better release than what's been churned out in recent years by the band, some killer songs on it :)

I tend to agree with Blitz, in that it's a more consistent record, without too much of the filler that detracted from DOD. I'm loving The Pilgrim (guitar licks there are probably the catchiest thing on the whole album), Different Worlds and These Colours Don't Run.

I really, really wish I was seeing 'em on this tour, even if I think only four of five of the songs at the most should be played live I think they could lend themselves to the theatrical elements nicely. I've always got the memories of seeing 'em on the "Early Days" tour though. *grins*

Bruce sounded shit on DoD because he was buried so far down in the mix you could hardly hear him. That, Gates Of Tomorrow, New Frontier and Face In The Sand were the only problems I had with the record.

All these X-Factor comparisons make AMOLAD sound very promising. There's a real sense of going on a musical journey with XF, although I'm biased because it's one of my "comfort albums", and the consistency of lyrical themes (war, religion etc) on the newie suggests a similar direction.

More tomorrow once I've heard the bloody thing!

W