Dance of Death after a week and a bit

Furry Muff, Bassman.........I can see what you're trying to say now, and I tend to agree in a general sense.
However, I still think it could quite possibly be the worst thing they have ever come up with - right down there with 'The Assassin'.........still, I certainly don't begrudge anyone else liking it.

Well Dance of Death certainly beats Weekend Warrior, Angel and The Gambler, The Apparition, The Clairvoyant (most highly overrated Maiden song ever) or just about anything from Blaze era Maiden.

Dance of Death kinda reminds me of an English band called Skyclad, they play a hybrid of metal and folk music which was done to perfection on albums like Jonah's Ark, Prince of the Poverty Line and A Burnt Offering to the Bone Idol.

Skyclad also had a problem being taken seriously as a result of their pagan imagery, unusual style of music and use of violin and folk influences but their old vocalist Martin Walkyier is one of the best lyricists in the business in my opinion. It's amazing how much criticism bands like this cop from the mainstream, who see them as a joke or pointless because they are so hopelessly out of touch with current trends, but they deal in something much more important: creative vision and imagination.

PIV Bassman said:
Although the title track would be seen by many uneducated in the ways of Maiden as being a bit naff, I like it. The reason I would say most of us like Maiden is because stylistically they do operate independently of the mainstream, always have and always will and the title track is a good example.
The title track rules :headbang:

Its Epic

Yeah, Angel and the gambler, Weekend Warrior, and The Apparition do indeed suck ass.......but I must be one of the people who helped 'over-rate' The Clairvoyant.........the only weak song on SSOASS is 'Can I play with Madness' IMO.

Whereas those songs suck, however, DoD (the song) is an embarrassment. And I certainly do not go in for any fashionable bands or sounds at all - in fact the only 'new' bands I can say I like are Masterplan and Dream Theater, and the latter have been around for years.......Martin Walkyier also sang for Sabbat, did he not?

I love Weekend Warrior. :( I don't care for The Clairvoyant at all, though, probably because I've heard it so many times and find it a bit boring.

Nightwing said:
Martin Walkyier also sang for Sabbat, did he not?

He certainly did, and since leaving Skyclad he has put together Return to the Sabbat, which I think is the original Sabbat lineup minus Andy Sneap, who played guitar in Sabbat and has of course gone on to be a producer of some repute. I have only heard snippets of Sabbat but have been meaning to track down Dreamweaver and History of a Time to Come.

I still wouldn't class Dance of Death as an embarassment, what is it about the song which you dislike so much? Seventh Son is one of my favourite albums, The Evil That Men Do, Moonchild and the title track are great. I've never really thought The Clairvoyant was a very exciting song, though I do like Can I Play With Madness....

Weekend Warrior is an absolute dog of a song with no redeeming qualities! Fear is the Key is also a VERY ordinary song I forgot to mention.

Reactions: Nightwing
PIV Bassman said:
I still wouldn't class Dance of Death as an embarassment, what is it about the song which you dislike so much?
I think it's mainly how the vocal doesn't seem to fit - to me Bruce seems to be stretching some words and phrases out unnaturally to make them fit, which sounds odd. 'Danced and I pranced' is also very odd.
And I hate how that one guitar comes in by itself just before the 'Riverdance' bit....... :lol:.
I just think it sounds like it was a real forced effort, and definitely the phrasing of the vocal just doesn't fit.

Its just the danced and pranced bit you have a problem with, isn't it!

a slight problem with vocals (in your opinion) hardly makes the song an embarassment. Strethcing some words to make them fit!!!!! Dude, bruce has done that his whole career!

Unconventional???
It sounds like a conglomeration of a number of things maiden has attempted in the past!!
And the lyrics - just - don't - fit!!!!!!

But you guys know my opinion, I 'm not gonna go on like an old fishwife........

I've just caught up with this thread after getting dizzy and fainting at the thought of Tori, Delta and Moony (my three fave non-metal songbirds) all being mentioned in the same sentence. Ah bliss...

All you have to do now, Tania, is record a cover of Moonlight Shadow (that simply beautiful song by Mike Oldfield and Maggie Riley) and I'll be in seventh heaven.

Back to the topic, standout moments on DoD for me are Rainmaker, No More Lies, Montsegur, the title track (awesome despite the Stonehenge similarities), Paschendale and Journeyman. The only song I don't much care for is Wildest Dreams, and everything else is very good but not great :).

W