Dance of Death after a week and a bit

PIV Bassman

Nomad
Apr 17, 2001
Here and There in Melbourne
Visit site
As the first Dance of Death discussion thread is now bloody long I thought I would start a new thread, to see how all of you are going with DoD now you've had it for over a week.

After repeated listening has your opinion of the album changed for better or worse?
Are there any songs which stand out now which perhaps did not strike your fancy initially?
Where do you now rank the album in Maiden's substantial catalogue?

For me the album just keeps getting better with every listen. I finally got a proper CD copy a few days ago and although I think the production is a little bit 'woolly' it doesn't detract too much from the overall quality of the album. I really think the energy on this album from start to finish is really reminiscent of NOTB or Powerslave. It's a very consistent album.

Songs which have really grown on me are Rainmaker, Face In The Sand, Age of Innocence and New Frontier. I immediately liked No More Lies, Montsegur, Paschendale and the title track.

I'd now rank this album in my top four Maiden albums, along with Powerslave, NOTB and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, closely followed by Brave New World, Piece of Mind and Somewhere In Time. There's not a lot separating any of these albums for me.

One thing I've noticed is that while there are no doubt some recycled ideas on DoD, the difference is that this time around they have nailed them where in the past they may not have quite worked. The most obvious example is No More Lies, which reminds me of a much better version of Virus.

I'm going to enjoy listening to this album again tonight!

I think its quite boring and predictable myself, theres some nice parts in some songs, but I dont think any of the songs are all that great IMHO

i don't know how you guys don't like it

it is that good, its like the best thing in ages !!!

I'm not even listening to it at the moment.......it sounds like something from a dusty old cupboard, not opened for years.

I'll try it again in a couple of weeks without the same expectations I had, obviously.

I think for sentimental reasons alone, Maiden will never surpass the expectations we have of them because of their great albums of the 80's.

But I can say that DoD is great, I love it. I can't really rank Maiden albums in any specific order, but the albums I listen to most are TNOTB, PoM, PS and SSOASS and I think DoD will find it's way into my CD player as often as those albums and that's saying something.

The_Prisoner said:
I think for sentimental reasons alone, Maiden will never surpass the expectations we have of them because of their great albums of the 80's.
I think that's a fair call.......however, I thought BNW was the best they had done since SSOASS (my favourite)........so far I rank DoD only above 'No prayer' and 'Fear of the dark'.
(Only talking Bruce-fronted albums here)

It's slowly growing on me.

The copy protection doesn't help, as I can't listen to it at work, so it's getting a play per day rather than listened to three or four times per day.

I still think of "Stonehenge" in DoD.

It doesn't grab me like the first play of BNW did.

Pretty much everything I said originally in the other thread still stands. I really like the production, and don't see what peoples problem with it is. I think it sounds brilliant.

As for songs, I really dig them all, and I like Wildest Dreams and Rainmaker (my least fav songs) more and more on each listen. 'Dance Of Death', and 'Face In The Sand' are the main standouts for me, they are just very fresh sounding, and grab me like nothing Maiden have done in a long time. 'Pashcendale' and 'Journeyman' are also brilliant, but a little more familiar sounding.

I think I would rate the album in the top 5 or so, but it is hard to say, as Maiden have so many great albums, and I don't really have a clear favourite, as it usually rotates between NOTB, TXF, SIT and Powerslave. I would probably rate it 5th behind them, and just ahead of BNW. Hard to say though.

Sorry to say I feel the title track is a bit of an embarrassment.
Probably the worst song on the album, and one of Maiden's worst ever.
Funny how people's opinions differ, yeah?

Production wise, the worst sounding CD I've heard in many a year.