A Matter Of Life And Death - thoughts?

I've listened to it pretty much non-stop in the car for a week. It really is quite a deep album and my favourites have definitely changed from first listen to current listen.

The overall loudness of the album isn't great, I guess mastering would have fixed that. However I LOVE Nicko and Steve's sound on this album.

For me my current favs are The Longest Day, Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, For the Greater Good of God and The Legacy.

As a sidenote, the album debuted at number 12 on the ARIA charts. I wonder if the delayed release impacted that result.

Danallica said:
One of my Favourite parts in the album is at about 6.05 on FTGGOG, from then on until the end is gold :headbang:

Fuck yeah! :headbang: Though I'd argue that it's gold from 6.01 onwards.

I'm on my third listen now and it's finally starting to sink in. When you buy a Maiden album you know exactly what you're getting, and once again 'Arry and the boys don't disappoint. Like others have said, there are no real standout moments as such, but this is a very solid effort with a lot going on. It won't have much impact if you just put it on in the background while you're doing something else. Following Blitzy's example, I also recommend listening very closely and reading along with the lyrics until you get to know the songs a bit better.

Who's for Out Of The Shadows as the third single?

W

I agree the last three songs are fucking great, the strongest end to just about any of their albums. I love the guitar harmonies around 6.29 in The Legacy - awesome, Maiden at their best!

I now officially love this album, after around twelve listens. It's bloody great! So many good songs. The only reason there are no huge standouts is because they're all so good, well apart from Out of the Shadows as I mentioned earlier, which is good but that chorus melody really is the same as Tears Of The Dragon, and it surprises me a bit that it made it through like that.

The Longest Day is also becoming a firm favourite, good track and I love the verses.

On first listen, I thought it was OK - better than DoD by miles, but nothing special. However, I'm listening to it twice a day now, and I'm loving it. It has much more depth than the one-dimensional DoD, and they've finally started really digging into the possibilities that 3 guitars offer.

Can't wait for December :headbang:

My favourite is a song not many people are mentioning - The Pilgrim.

I definitely think it's Maiden's best album now. Only one thing I don't like about it - the time change for the chorus of These Colours Don't Run. Was going into it at a cracking pace, then it suddenly slows down and becomes somewhat plodding.

Spiff said:
My favourite is a song not many people are mentioning - The Pilgrim.

I definitely think it's Maiden's best album now. Only one thing I don't like about it - the time change for the chorus of These Colours Don't Run. Was going into it at a cracking pace, then it suddenly slows down and becomes somewhat plodding.

I actually like that in these colours

The Pilgrim has a cranking intro :headbang:

I disagree about that. While the quality is high right through, I think no one song sticks out because there is no fast and soaring rockers, no cheap hooks in the choruses, and the epics are more detailed and serious than say somethign catchy like Hallowed Be Thy Name. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just an observation. Most Maiden albums have a contrast of the sort of songs I mentioned above, with a few dodgey fillers, where as AMOLAD seems to have none of either.

First run through and I like it.

Have to strain to hear Bruce a bit, as Steve seems to like the music more than the singing.

Better recieved than the last one by a long way.

The album debuted at number 12 in the Australian charts. Pretty good, I must say. And I think, although I may be wrong cos I haven't been on the net much lately, that it debuted at number 4 in the UK. Pretty good, I must say.

Next week I'd be surprised if it were even in the top 50.
All the fans would buy it the week of release so it's natural for it to chart highly in the first week and then fade into obscurity, except for in our hearts.:danceboy:

Spruce Goose said:
Next week I'd be surprised if it were even in the top 50.
All the fans would buy it the week of release so it's natural for it to chart highly in the first week and then fade into obscurity, except for in our hearts.:danceboy:
That is usually true for a band with a cult following, but because this album is getting mostly positive reviews, it might recieve a bit more interest in coming weeks than say the last two Maiden albums. Probably not, though.